Glock conversions G27 - G33 magazines

oldcabin

Hello all, after reading all I could find on G27 or G33 conversions to .40 /.357, and some of it getting blurred and overlapping along the way, I seem to recall a discussion about the magazines. IF someone was not concerned with going to 9mm, and the idea was to be able to run both .40 and .357, which one is better to start with? I also heard one of the mags(G27 or G33) works better for use in both calibers for some reason. Feed angle or something. Difference in slide weight ? Maybe there are other advantages I haven't found.

So if a person had a choice as to where to start, what choice is best and why? Thanks

Dan-O

All you need to go from 27 to 33 or vice versa is a standard barrel, no such thing as a conversion barrel. As for the mags, I prefer using .40 mags as I can squeeze an extra 357sig round into them due to the angle of the follower. I'm sure someone with no first hand experience will come along and tell you otherwise. And there's no difference in slide weight.

Last edited:

oldcabin

Great info, thanks for the pics! Anything else? Spring weights? I thought the extractors were the same. Do you think the .40 follower is better for more reliable feeding?

Dan-O

Spring weights are the same as are the extractors. I have had no issues with using the mag followers interchangeably. Like I said, only reason I like the .40 mags is that I can put one more 357sig round in the .40 mags with .40 followers. And this is across the board. I can stuff 10 357sig rounds in G27 mags, 14 357sig rounds in G23 mags, and 16 357sig rounds in G22 mags.

oldcabin

So are folks carrying g33 mags in their g27? Seems to me that would solve the 9 vs 10 debate about the extra round the 9mm gives you. I'm asking because it would seem like that would be the no brainer thing to do if there are no feeding issues.

Dan-O

Think you've got it backwards, and I never said anything about 9mm. Thought we were talkin about 357sig to .40 and vice versa.

oldcabin

No I follow. I'm not wanting to throw 9mm into it. You're right.40 vs 357.

I just know from what I've read on the forums here that guys doing the g26 vs g27 debate get into long conversation about A: recoil B: caliber difference or not and C: one less round in the .40. It occurred to me a couple days after reading your post that the g33 mag in a g27 would fix the round capacity difference. I don't think I have ever heard anyone mention the fix before.