Glock and 1911 have the most important thing in common

Dr45ACP

A consistent trigger pull. I think any gun that works DA/SA is inately more difficult to shoot well. It would also seem to me that transitioning between the first DA shot and subsequent SA shots would be quite difficult under a stressfull situation (ie, if someone was attacking you).

When i was a novice, one of my first guns was a beretta 92. Seems like the more i learn, the more likely i am to buy 1911s and Glocks... and have also noticed i have moved from 9mm to 45.

opinions?

jdthaddeus

Yep. That is why I stick to 1911's and Glocks.
I collect and shoot 1911's for fun, and I carry Glocks.
I demand the same trigger pull for my most important first and second shots.

The thing is, many shooters take their Sig or Berretta or other gun to the range and shoot all day long in single action mode with their double action guns.
They load the gun, chamber a round, and shoot in SA mode all day long.

They never consider that that is NOT how the gun will shoot from the holster in that most important moment of life and death. In the moment of truth, when they draw that gun, the first (most important!) shot will be in double action with the long heavy pull, and then the second shot (of special concern for a double tap) will have a totally different trigger pull.

I also think that this is why Glocks are so popular in competition, and why there is so much bickering between Glock shooters and 1911 shooters. Both are ingenius, timeless, influential designs and both excel from the holster.

Another thing that Glocks and 1911's have in common is that they have very short trigger resets. In fact, I just gave my Glock a trigger job and installed a trigger stop to make the trigger reset even shorter. This makes for a very sweet, crisp trigger break and reset!

[This message has been edited by jdthaddeus (edited November 10, 2000).]

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr45ACP:
Glock and 1911 have the most important thing in common[/quote]

Indeed. There's examples of each within my arm's reach right now. That's the most important thing! ;)

------------------
"..but never ever Fear. Fear is for the enemy. Fear and Bullets."
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

blades67

I have never had to "transition" between the double action pull of the first shot and the single action pull of the second shot. I don't shift, jostle, switch, move or relocate my index finger on the trigger of my SIG Sauer P series pistols, nor my Beretta. I place the pad of my finger on the trigger and PRESS. I don't pull or squeeze the trigger because that will lead to poor marksmanship. If new shooters were taught that they had to change their grip on their 1911 or Glock between the first and second shots, new shooters would come to believe that 1911 and Glock triggers were crap. The way is in training.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.

Red Bull

I would find it highly unlikely that anyone can pull a DA auto (like a Sig or the like) from the holster and make two accurate shots with the same placement and speed as they could with a Glock or 1911.
The first long heavy trigger pull, followed by a short light second pull would have to throw your shots off, COMPARATIVELY. Especially under duress, one handed or whatnot.
I am not saying it can't be done, but it can be done better with a single action type gun like the 1911 or Glock, which is why they excel in competition.

RWK

Please add H&K USPs to the 1911A1/Glock SA-only "advantage list". Due to H&K's unique decocker/safety system, the USP can be safely carried in Condition 1, similarly to the 1911A1.

dbledsoe

Better add the Steyr M40, M9, & M357 to the list. All of which, in my experience, are superior to the Glock. :p

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Not to mention the P7 series, and the P-35 Grand Puissance, and all the variations of the CZ-75.

Glocks Rool! The Last Good Pistol was designed in 1911! Nine is Fine! They all fall to hardball! 'Cause your gun sucks and my gun can beat yours up! Have I covered most of the potential flames so this discussion can proceed in a more technical direction? ;)

------------------
"..but never ever Fear. Fear is for the enemy. Fear and Bullets."
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

Russell92

i think the most important thing with a pistol is reliability. glocks definetly have that, as for most 1911s...

but i do agree that glocks and 1911s are much easier to shoot because of their consistant trigger pull. i don't practice enough with my DA/SA guns in DA so i'm not that good with them. i think if i did practice more in DA i could get good with them and be able to place the first 2 shots accurately on a target pretty quickly. i can already to this a lot easier with my glocks and i'll probably always be faster with them than any DA pistol.

Onslaught

Hey, whadayaknow.. I'm gonna agree with the 1911 guys!!! :D

I carry a Kahr P9, same trigger all the time.

My house gun is an HK USP45, which is kept full mag, empty chamber, safety on. I have given myself the habit of always swiping the safety immediately after racking the slide on the USP.

I tried the DA/SA, and kept screwing up no matter how much I practiced. I've even fired twice when I meant to fire once!

Similarly, a buddy I was shooting with had a TSW40, and he had no formal training. the first time I had him draw from concealed position and fire, he forgot to remove the safety, and got called "toast". Needless to say, he now shoots like he carries.

As for the list of DA/SA guns that can be carried cocked/locked, I have to add the economical but reliable Taurus autoloaders.

Practice for real situations is the way to go.

[This message has been edited by Onslaught (edited November 10, 2000).]

sear

I don't like not having manual control over the hammer on Glocks, the way I do w/ the M1911-A1. I don't, & probably won't own a Glock.
Sig Sauer delivers a nice reliable product. I know it can be used DA, but though I own one, I can't imagine ever doing anything so foolish. I operate mine SA, and I derive all the benefit attributed to M1911-A1 & Glock.

Emin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sear:
I don't like not having manual control over the hammer on Glocks, the way I do w/ the M1911-A1. I don't, & probably won't own a Glock.
Sig Sauer delivers a nice reliable product. I know it can be used DA, but though I own one, I can't imagine ever doing anything so foolish. I operate mine SA, and I derive all the benefit attributed to M1911-A1 & Glock.
[/quote]

What!?? You operate your Sig "SA"? "Operate" how? God forbid, don't say you carry it in SA! If so (and I know a few unfortunate individuals who've thought of doing it), you're on a straight path to shooting yourself in the butt -- and that's in best scenario.

Don't touch the trigger, and it won't shoot -- yes, I know. But Sig P-series aren't designed to be in SA unless between consequent shots. Hence the decocker.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I know it can be used DA, but though I own one, I can't imagine ever doing anything so foolish.[/quote]

Could you please elaborate on this?

Thanks.

Dr45ACP

I presume Sear means he would cock it before firing the first shot. Lets hope thats what he means.

And there is nothing wrong with that necessarily, if you are careful and have time enough to do it that way.