Glock and 1911: a Comparison

Nightcrawler

I've never shot a Glock. I've only put a few dozen rounds through a 1911, and that was one of questionable manufacture.

However, since Glockers and 1911 Fans are the two greatest rivals in the pistol world, I think I'm not out of line in posting an objective analysis of the two, based on my own research (or as much as one can do without shooting them). This is not trying to say which pistol is better; both are fine designs and I would not feel unsafe with either.

-Glocks are made by one manufacturer.
-1911s are made by many manufacturers, good and bad.

-Glocks have many accessories.
-1911s have many accessories.

-Glocks have polymer frames.
-1911s have steel frames, alloy frames, and polymer frames.

-Glocks are all striker-fired.
-1911s are all hammer-fired, but are available in single action and double action only. (I don't know of any DA/SA 1911 clones, but there might be.)

-Glocks come in a matte black finish.
-1911s are available in blue, parkerized, stainless, etc.

-Glocks are double stack pistols, save the model 36.
-1911s are available in single stack and double stack.

-Glocks have a consistent trigger pull.
-1911s have a consistent trigger pull.

-Glocks have no manual safety.
-1911s have two manual safeties.

-Glocks come in different sizes and barrel lengths.
-1911s come in different sizes and barrel lengths.

-Glocks are available in 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm, .380 (though not in the US) and .357 Sig.
-1911s are available (to my knowledge) in 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm, .450SMC. 1911 types have been available in .357 Magnum, .45 Win Mag, etc.

-People love, and people hate Glocks.
-People hate, and people love 1911s.

-The 1911 is an old design; put into service in 1911.
-Glock fans claim their pistol is state of the art, but in fact the striker-fire system debuted in the Roth Steyr pistol around 1912.

I think the striking thing is how much the two have in COMMON, as opposed to how different they are.

Now, in theory, they could make a polymer framed, double stack 1911, using Para's LDA system. Get a 4" barrel, make the slide matte black, laser-engrave "GLOCK" on the slide and there you go!

OR, you could take a 5" Glock, hard-chrome the slide, install one of those aftermarket manual safeties, laser engrave "COLT" on the slide, and there YOU go.

Either way, the respective fans of the designes would be screaming about blasphemy. :eek:

asintaderoche

forgot something

i love my goldcup national match ss, have it customize a bit...

but my glock 26 with that little aftermaket switch at the end of the slide it become a hellfire in your hand....its a sub compact machine pistol...

again i like them both...

lonegunman

Quote:

"However, since Glockers and 1911 Fans are the two greatest rivals in the pistol world"

This might be true, but from a functional shooting standpoint, there is no reason for it to be.

Shooting a Glock is much more like shooting a 1911 than a DA/SA pistol.

I really think that if people would keep an open mind, the same people who like Glock would like 1911 and vice versa.

Instead, all the 1911 people say "I dont want no tupperware gun", and all the Glock people say "I dont no antique gun".

Pendragon

My dislike of Glock is purely ergonomic. I have a good opinion of Glocks and the company. I do admit to bias when I see younger people gravitating to them - my bias is that I think young people like Glocks because of certain imagery they have seen in music, TV, movies, etc. My bias makes me think that young Glock choosers are inexperienced, unknowledgeable, etc.

I do not care for the feel of the Glock pistol. I have no opinion about striker vs hammer or doublestack vs single stack or anything else like that.

The 1911 just feels right to me, the Glock feels wrong. If you like Glock, I say - go crazy. I would consider buying one of the 10mm glocks, just to have a Glock and a 10mm, but I doubt I will end up doing that...

Sure a lot of people get funny about plastic vs metal, hammers, safeties, etc - but all that is immaterial.

How about everyone just shoots what they like and we all STFU about it. ;)

OutLaw

I like a 1911 alot.I also like Glocks.I like Glock because of there reliability out of the box.I have had quite a few 1911's,And not all of them were reliable out of the box with FMJ ammo,some were.But I had a Para-Ord.P-14 that had been customized by a local gun smith and that was one sweet shooting pistol.

1911greg

I like glocks cause they are simple, that is also why I like 1911's the glock grip seems to be a little bulkier than your typical 1911 and can make them harder to conceal.

although I think the pull on a 1911 is far superior to a glock.

kalibear45

but my glock 26 with that little aftermaket switch at the end of the slide it become a hellfire in your hand....its a sub compact machine pistol...

:eek:

them 10rd mags must go out like a 2 second burp...

dd-b

The 1911 just feels right to me, the Glock feels wrong. If you like Glock, I say - go crazy. I would consider buying one of the 10mm glocks, just to have a Glock and a 10mm, but I doubt I will end up doing that...

Exactly. It's the opposite for me. Had a 1911 for years before I ever got a Glock, and it just never felt comfortable for me. I shot it enough that I got competent, but it never really fit me.

My Glock 17, on the other hand, I can shoot oodles better, and it's more fun.

But, like you, I don't mistake this for a law of the universe. It's just how the particular guns happen to fit me.

"Religious" opinions about the "best" gun are a waste of time. Discussions of the pros and cons of various guns, and the proper techniques to work with particular guns, and such, can actually teach us useful stuff.

ocabj

glocks are boring guns (i own two so i can say it truthfully). of all the handguns i take to the range, my glocks are bottom of the list.

they are great self defense weapons. no-nonsense, no-frills, point and shoot weapons. if i were allowed to carry a handgun (yes, i live in california) it would probably be my g27.

but if i were punching paper, i'd rather be shooting my brigadier inox, a 1911, or a racegun.

i can't really put it into words, but the feel, look, and shooting of glocks can't compare to other pieces that are out there on the market.

Sarge

But a clear difference is...

that a 1911 is kinder to the eye, and can be made into a thing of beauty. A glock will always look like it was designed by a collector of old Dick tracy comics.

New_comer

--People love, and people hate Glocks.
-People hate, and people love 1911s.
I'll add another line of comparison:

-1911's start as ugly but could be made to look better
-Glock's remain "perfectly" ugly :p;):D

cheifwatchman

I carry a Glock 17. The 1 time I shot the ranges Colt 91A1 I shot the Colt way better than my Glock 17. The SA triggers are better, no there the best trigger around. But I can't justify getting the 1911. First 45 ammo cost way more than 9mm. Yes I know about reloading, in fact I've had reloading equipment in the original box since the mid 80s. I don't know how to reload. My goal is to have a primary carry pistol & a secondary carry pistol that's exactly the same as my primary carry pistol. Since I have a Glock 17 all I gotta do is get another Glock 17. To get a 1911 I gotta get 2. Also 1911 cost more than Glocks. Also it costs more to customoze the 1911 than the Glock. So that's my excuse for not owning a 1911.

swatman

I also like Glocks because of their simplicity. No external safeties to fool with, no hammers, no frills. For me, that makes the ideal carry gun, simple, easy to strip and clean and reassemble, no beels and whistles and great reliability.

Archer1440

I will take slight issue with two of your comments:

-Glocks are made by one manufacturer.

Your statement is true, however, Springfield XD and S&W Sigma are essentially Glock clones. No, parts are not interchangeable, but they have the same essential feature set and function. The grip safety on the XD is not a manual safety (see below), and their "ultra safety assurance" trigger system works on the Glock principle, externally.

-Glocks have no manual safety. 1911's have two manual safeties

If you consider the function of the Glock's trigger, then you cannot count the 1911 grip safety as a manual one, as a properly set-up one is just as automatic in disengagement as the Glock trigger pip.

graystar

(As with everyone else, the following is my own personal feeling)

I have both a Glock and 1911. I use the Glock for personal defense, the the 1911 for target shooting. I am very happy with both, in so far as they stay within their application.

I think Glocks are the best for personal protection. They are accurate and reliable right out of the box. They are also the safest guns to carry. Since it is the trigger pull that completes the "cocking" of a Glock, it is simply impossible for a Glock to accidently discharge. Coupled with the firing pin safety, it's very safe to keep one in the barrel with a Glock.

I think the 1911 is a great design for target shooting because of the great trigger design. The design of a 1911 makes accuracy difficult to achieve, but that problem is usually fixed by throwing money at it.

I don't like the Glock for bullseye shooting because of the long trigger pull. And there's not much you can do about it either.

I don't like the 1911 for carry, as I don't think it is as safe as a Glock. It is riskier to carry one in the barrel with a 1911 because you are depending on the tiny edge of the sear to keep the gun from firing, whereas a glock has a firing pin safely. There are some 1911s with a firing pin safety, and those I would carry. However, their triggers are not good enough for bullseye shooting.

So both guns have their appropriate place.

By the way, I think anyone that carries a gun without it cocked and ready to shoot is just wasting his time. If you think you're gonna have time to rack the slide or cock the hammer, you're dead wrong. The only thing you'll have time to do is hit the bad guy with the gun. So keep one in the pipe and keep the hammer back. And if you don't have confidence in your gun to carry like that....get a Glock.

DMK

I do admit to bias when I see younger people gravitating to them - my bias is that I think young people like Glocks because of certain imagery they have seen in music, TV, movies, etc
Pendragon, except for maybe rap videos, it seems to me that the same comment could be made about the 1911.

In my opinion, they are both exactly the same in the ways they are unique.

Archer1440

Since it is the trigger pull that completes the "cocking" of a Glock, it is simply impossible for a Glock to accidently discharge.

You are certainly correct. In fact I cannot find an account of ANY firearm accidentally discharging without the involvement of an outside agent (man, dog, etc.)

However, it is not unknown for people to negligently discharge Glocks.

As a reference, try the following search string right here at TFL:

Glock AND injury AND accident

As you will see if you read the resulting stories, the only true safety resides between one's ears.

Jimmy Mac

Guns that are bad designs and made from junk are known to fire without outside help. It happens all the time.

I can name several that I would not even think about carring with a loaded chamber.

People are hurt and killed all the time by junk guns.

Also people have NDs all the time with ALL types of firearms.