Glock Ammunition

Bunkster

Looking at various Glock models at a local shop yesterday, the owner stated that you should never use plain lead ammo (such as swc) in Glocks, regardless of model or caliber: Something about the barrels blowing up.

Any truth to this? Does the factory make any statements regarding lead-only ammunition?

Regards

BB

Yes. Polygonal barrel with unsupported chamber + cast lead bullets = higher case pressure and case failures. Only shoot factory jacketed ammo in your Glock, or you risk a case failure and a blown-up gun.

Tecolote

There's only a risk if you don't properly clean the bore after each range session. he danger lies in lead build up. A careful scrubbing with Hoppe's No9 and a brass brush will eliminate the problem.

------------------
"Get yourself a Pistolet Makarova and lose that pricey western gadget."

K

KilgorII

Most KB's (KaBooms) of any gun happen with personal reloads, remanufactured ammo, or foriegn crap.

Most KB's in Glocks happen with 40 s&w with .45 acp way behind.

Stay with 9mm, 10mm, .357 sig, or .45 acp. Shoot only jacketed bullets, no lead. If you reload then take personal responsibility for your own loads and what may happen if you double charge a round. Don't shoot remanufactured ammo or foriegn crap. I've had good luck with PMP south african ammo in a Glock 9mm, it is good stuff.

Glocks are very strong guns and are ultra-reliable. Everything has its limitations, stay within them and you will love being a Glock owner.

P

PreserveFreedom

I wouldn't shoot unjacketed ammo out of my Glock. Why would one want to?

WalterGAII

Either plated or jacketed bullets are o.k. with Glocks. I shoot only my own jacketed reloads through my Glocks, even though I use aftermarket barrels for .400 Cor-bon and .40 Super. G30's don't like swc's, just by design.

Bunkster

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PreserveFreedom:
I wouldn't shoot unjacketed ammo out of my Glock. Why would one want to?[/quote]

Under most circumstances, I'd only shoot jacketed as well.

The only reason I brought the issue up with the dealer is that there is a local indoor range that does not allow jacketed ammo. (Why they have this restriction is another matter.)

The technical explanations given here are understood and greatly appreciated.

Regards

johnwill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PreserveFreedom:
I wouldn't shoot unjacketed ammo out of my Glock. Why would one want to?[/quote]

One word, price.

K

KilgorII

Buy a $90 Federal barrel and you can shoot lead till the cows come home.

I have shot lead through my Glock, but no more than 100 rounds between cleaning. That was a 9mm, I wouldn't try it with a 40 s&w.

Dave T

PreserveFreedom,

Because I can shoot a great deal more for the same money. I reload 45 ACP rounds for $64/1000 using cast bullets. That is a lot of shooting for the dollars invested. Also, I installed a Bar Sto barrel in the G21 to make this possible. In less than a year I paid for the BarSto in money saved over factory ammo.

------------------
Dave T
PCSD Ret
AMBUSCADE
Arizona CCW and Renewal Classes
Tactical Self -defense training.
ambush@theriver.com

[This message has been edited by Dave T (edited October 22, 2000).]

smoney

shooting lead is cheaper, but bullets like berrys, or montana gold aren't that much more expensive, but if you shoot a LOT, then get a federal, kkm, bar-sto, or jarvis barrel, wilson combat makes them too i think. those have conventional cut rifling, and aren't bothered by lead.

happy shooting.

------------------
454Casull when it absolutely Has to be destroyed.

Flaim

Try it and see what heppens. it isn't pretty. Oh nothing blows up. But fire 5 rounds then take out the barrel. You will have noting but smeared lead in there. The ;lead can not take the rifleing.

K

KilgorII

I guess it depends on how soft of a lead was used to make the bullets. The hundred I fired off left no noticable leading on the polyagonal rifling.