Glock Aftermarket barrels w/ Polygonal rifleing??

Carbon_15

I'm in the process of trying to add some youth and vigour to my ageing Glock 20. I want to replace the barrel but have met a bit of a cross roads. I can either get a factory new Glock replacement barrel and keep the polygonal rifeling or get an aftermarket match grade barrel with conventional lands and groves. I prefer the Polygonal rifleing because it gives higher velocity (not just marketing BS, my friends 29 shoots Silvertips a few fps faster than his Delta Elite even with the barrel length differences). A side benifit of the Polygonal rifeling is that its so much easier to clean. No right angles in the groves for residue to hide in. I have never even had to use a bruch on mine...just some good solvent and a few patches. I would like the slightly better accuracy one would expect from a match grade barrel, but Im not ready to give up the ease of cleaning and extra velocity. Is there anyone that makes and aftermarket match grade barrel w/ polygonal rifeling for the Glock 20?
Thanks,
jason

Dave T

All the aftermarket barrels I know of have cut rifling. Sorry! By the way, I have several BarSto barrels and they all shoot a little faster than the stock Glock barrels.

DeeOGee

Hi.

I have a Jarvis 6" match on my G20C. More accurate than the Glock barrel. I haven't tested the ballistics, but it sure is a great coyote shooter.

TEX

I have a stainless steel after market barrel in a Glock 23, and the velocity from that barrel is always a little higher than the Glock stock barrel by about 15-25 fps depending on the load. I was surprised, because like you, I had always heard that a polygon barrel would produce greater velocity. I am unsure of why a rifled barrel would produce greater velocity in my case. Others may have seen this same thing happen or the reverse. Since I verified that the aftermarket barrel is more accurate and faster, the stock barrel has been collection dust.

TEX

George Helser

Carbon_15,

How you do define Polygonal rifling??

I bought a G26 and from e-mails on the forums I expected it would have Polygonal rifling. On close (magnifier) examination, the G26 barrel is identical to the rifling of my 1974 S&W M39 which is considered to have traditional land/groove rifling.

The rifling in my G26 & S&W M39 look NOTHING like the real POLYGONAL rifling in my HKs. I presented this info on the Glock forum and I was informed that any barrel with more than ONE land or groove was Polygonal (technically this is correct but it is forum BS).

If your Glock barrel has more than one land/groove it is Polygonal. What is your problem? What are you looking for?

FYI, the G26 manual says the rifling is “hexagonal” (it has six lands and six grooves in the barrel). If the Glock had an expensive polygonal barrel like P7s, I think Glock would
advertise that advanced feature in the manual?

Does anyone make an HK style POLYGONAL barrel for a Glock?

Good luck!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Alaska Roy

Glock "Match" Barrel Accuracy?

I really wonder about claims of improved accuracy with aftermarket barrels surpassing the stock Glock.
Having shot several examples of the 17-19-20&21 at informal 100yd pin plinking, the accuracy is just fine.
The trigger sucks but if you carefully wade through all that travel, you'll hit the pin everytime.

George Helser

Absolom,

Actually, I did very well in geometry. I also understand marketing and IQs. HK makes expensive, high velocity, long life POLYGONAL barrels. (Illustrated by their marketing materials showing almost an infinite number of sides making the barrel look smooth and wavy without distinct lands/grooves. POLYGONAL as used by HK is a marketing term, not a geometry term.)
Along come low IQ Glock owners who read “hexagonal” in the manual and think they have an HK quality “polygonal” barrel. Other Glock owners who know better but are too cheap to buy an arm with a real POLYGONAL barrel claim Glocks have polygonal
barrels since there is more than one side!
I like my G26 a lot but all the BS and stupid stuff from many Glock proponents makes me embarrassed to tell people I own a Glock.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

leedesert

George,

I remember your original post many moons ago and it seems you have a hard time learning. Or maybe you just think the only ones that are right are those that agree with you.

Polygonal means many sides or angles. This word describes ALL Glock barrels.

If you want to get more specific you can add the Hex or Oct to the beginning and show exactly how many sides or angles each has.

Glock and HK polygonal barrels used two different approaches to shaping the inside of there barrels.

Neither of these barrels are in any way the same as a barrel with cut land and groove rifling.

For what it's worth, we would also be ashamed to tell people you own a Glock.

Maybe if you'd take the time to pull your head out of HK's arse you'd understand that because two different companies approach things differently doesn't make one better than the other. There is no question the HK makes good firearms but the same can be said for Glock. You can gripe all day long how a Glock polygonal barrel looks nothing like an HK but the end result is IT WORKS. And based on the thousands of reviews, by more educated and respected people than yourself, it not only works but works damn good.

As far as commenting on IQ's, all we have to do is read your posts. They speak for themselves.

To the original poster,
Aftermarket match barrels have much tighter specs than a factory combat barrel. This means the fit between the barrel and the bullet is very tight. A polygonal barrel is more efficient than most rifled stock barrel because they also have looser specs. Polygonal is good but not so good as to equal an aftermarket match barrel.

George Helser

leedesert,

Do you own a CB radio?

You said:
“Polygonal means many sides or angles. This word describes ALL Glock barrels.”
DUH! Technically, ALL barrels in any firearm are polygonal.
Read this again: Glocks, and virtually all other pistols have rifling with distinct lands/grooves. HK introduced rifling quite different from this decades ago and used a “marketing” description of “polygonal” rifling.
HK’s polygonal rifling is like a circle smoothly compressed at 60 degree intervals. Or, in another way to describe it, there is not a distinct step from land to groove. There are no steps or flat areas in the rifling. It is a “smooth” wave that goes high and low in a twist. If it was not very expensive to make a barrel in this manner, every gun manufacturer would have HK type polygonal barrels.

You said:
“If you want to get more specific you can add the Hex or Oct to the beginning and show exactly how many sides or angles each has.”
OK, you know the difference between 6 & 8!
Read my lips: Glocks have traditional land/groove barrels, exactly like my 1974 S&W M39. The Glock rifling is common, offering no advantage over other common pistols. My Glock manual specs a hexagonal barrel. My HK P7 manual specs a polygonal
barrel. Have a look at these two barrels, they are quite different. The P7 barrel has less bullet friction, lower fouling and lower erosion due to its costly smooth rifling.

You said:
“Glock and HK polygonal barrels used two different approaches to shaping the inside of there barrels.”
YES!

You said:
“Neither of these barrels are in any way the same as a barrel with cut land and groove rifling. “
Your last statement was right on but you blew your record with this comment. My G26, under a magnifying glass, is identical to my cut land and groove 1974 S&W M39 rifling.

You said:
“You can gripe all day long how a Glock polygonal barrel looks nothing like an HK but the end result is IT WORKS. And based on the thousands of reviews, by more educated and respected people than yourself, it not only works but works damn good.”
I have read of no reports that Glocks supposed polygonal rifling gives higher velocity than traditional barrels. My chronograph tests show my G26 barrel gives no better velocity than a traditional barrel.
How is your Glock rifling better than traditional cut land and groove rifling?

You said:
“Aftermarket match barrels have much tighter specs than a factory combat barrel. This means the fit between the barrel and the bullet is very tight. A polygonal barrel is more efficient than most rifled stock barrel because they also have looser specs. Polygonal is good but not so good as to equal an aftermarket match barrel.”
You do not know what you are talking about!

Absolom, if you know what you are talking about, why don’t you say something useful?

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

George Helser

Tom B,

A SIMPLE barrel question?

The question is of potential life saving importance!

If an HK POLYGONAL barrel gives 8% higher velocity over a Glock (or any other common barrel having multiple sides), the HK POLYGONAL barrel gives the user a 16.8% increase in power and much greater potential for bullet expansion!!!

This is NOT a discussion about STYLE of lands/grooves!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Tom B

Carbon_15 - I know of no aftermarket poly barrels. Do a search at Glocktalk on the ten ring forum and you will see that several people have more velocity from KKM and Bar Sto barrels (of the same length) than the stock Glock 20 barrel. Many also use the hunting barrels of 5.5 and 6 inches in the G20 to achieve greater bullet speed.

leedesert

George,
I'm not going to reply any more since the lunacy of your claims is obviouse from the lack of support you receive. This same thing happened the last two times I've seen you start this bologna.

What you're looking at is not so obscure to have gone un-noticed by everyone except yourself. This is why you will find no evidence to support your claims.

You get no support because anyone can see the obviouse difference between a Glock barrel and a rifle cut barrel. So much so that most ignore you. A rifle cut barrel is not Polygonal as the term is used in gun barrels. You can quote Websters definition of polygonal all you want but it's what the term means in gun barrels that matters. The same way when someone mentions a magazine we don't assume an issue of guns magazine is stuffed into the mag well of the gun.:rolleyes:

Rifle cut barrels have grooves that are cut out of the barrels. The barrel is round except for the cut out grooves.

Glock barrels are hammer forged. While the sides are not perfect stop sign shaped angles they are still angled sides that involve no drilling out of grooves.

As far as your lunacy about how this is a life threatoning matter you again show your colors. The guns you are questioning have been balistically tested more times than any of us can count but you somehow think you've been given some devine insight.

What a laugh :p

Last edited:

bfoster

I'd suggest that a comparison of muzzle speeds based on the form of rifling alone belongs to the realm of theory, not practice. There are so many other variables involved in barrel, receiver, and ammunition manufacture that it is difficult in practice to get velocites closer than a couple percent from sequentially produced handguns, let alone different makes and models.

Bob