Glock Accessories?

DieHard06

Hi. This is my first post on this board, though I have been reading for several months now. Just to tell you all a little bit about myself, I am a pastor who moved to PA back in September. I have loved guns all my life, but never got anything but a bb gun. My wife hates guns because her father murdered her mother when she was ten. I finally convinced her to agree to me buying a gun in March and after much research I decided that the first gun I would buy would be a Glock because they are my favorite.

I bought a Glock 19, joined a range club and the NRA, and pretty much read this forum everyday.

One day while at the range an older man was there and we struck up a conversation. He ended up letting me shoot his Colt 1911 .45 and I was amazed that the recoil was about the same as my 9mm. He said he had had it "tightened" and had put 3.5 lb trigger on it. I was wondering if anyone else has replaced the spring and guide rod with a sprinco spring or something like that and if anyone has replaced their trigger? How does it affect the gun and are there any negative side affects? Also, I was wondering what people change on their Glocks?

P.S. I have now bought a second gun, a mossberg 500, and I think my wife is starting to come around and accept guns. One day she might be going to the range with me:)

DonR101395

All I replace is the factory plastic sights with steel sights. The majority of problems I've seen in the Glocks I've worked on are because of "upgrades". The minus (-) connector is ok for a range/game gun but I'm not a fan of it for a carry gun. Some folks like the NY1 trigger with the - connector. It gives you a trigger pull close to the stock 5.5 with a faster trigger reset.

YMMV

Desertscout1

ALL of our Glocks are highly modified and we absolutely never experience any failures. If modifications are done correctly and professionally, failures are not an issue. With that being said, I wouldn't put the same trigger on my daily carry gun that I put on my G34 or 22 either. The purpose for your gun will dictate what modifications are acceptable.

omaha64

I have a G26 and a G19. The G26 I keep stock except for night sights because this is my carry weapon. On the G19, I have night sights, extended slide lock, and a 3.5 lbs connector to replace the 5.x lbs because I bring this gun to the range more often. Lately, due to aging eye sights, I've been thinking about laser sights for my Glocks.

JRAR78

Changing my stock plastic sights to steel Trijicon Night Sights was the first "mod" I did to my Glock and the best !

Night Watch

:) First thing to go is the factory's crappy plastic sights. I replaced mine with Meprolights.

My G-21 is an everyday carry pistol that I, also, use for range work. Something you can do without too much experience is the famous 25 cent polishing job - In my opinion it's worth the effort.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

I'm presently running a Lone Wolf 4.5# connector in both of my Glocks along with heavier Wolff trigger and FP springs. I, also, use a Wolff steel guide rod. My trigger pulls have been measured at 4.9 to 5.2#'s - That's perfect for what I'm doing with my Glocks!

9mm recoil is lighter; but it's, also, sharper and faster than 45acp recoil. Personally, for the kind of quick repetitive shooting that I like to do, I prefer shooting the 45acp because it's slower, heavier, and easier to control during repetitive fire.

If you're just starting out with firearms, I'd suggest that you burn Cooper's four firearm safety rules into your brain!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper_(colonel)#Firearms_safety

Officer's Match

Welcome. One of the best aftermarket shops for Glocks is Lone Wolf Distributors. Here's a link:
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/

I started my wife out on handguns by having her shoot my red dot scoped Ruger 22/45. It has a 3# trigger, and is the easiest handgun to shoot accurately I've ever tried. She had a very positive experience, and loved it. 10 years later, she now has a CCW permit and is as comfortable with handguns as I am.

Jeffenwulf

You just might not be very recoil sensitive. For me the .45 seems to push a little bit more and isn't as snappy. Heavier guns tend to have less felt recoil as well. I've found that it isn't the recoil that bothers me, they're all relatively equal to me, it's the sound. I need the earplugs under muffs for the louder ones.

DieHard06

Thank you for all the advice. I think I will just leave my gun as is and learn to use it. I just started taking a basic pistol course and the instructor carries a Glock 19. The only change he made was to night sights but that was because his plastic ones broke.

I just got my PA CCP in the mail on Saturday. Life is good.