Glock 9x19 Info requested

In my state of residence, we are allowed two guns on our CCW and are allowed to carry only those two guns (concealed). I currently have a Colt Officers Model in 45 ACP, and a Colt Mustang .380 on my CCW. I like the fact that they both have basically the same feel, same controls etc. I recently bought a Glock 17 and really like it. I think it would make a superb carry pistol and am thinking about adding it to my CCW. If I do that, I would also like to get a smaller Glock for summer carry. I checked out the Glock web site and see that they make two smaller 9mms; the 19 and the 26. I have seen the 19, my local dealer has one on the shelf right now, but I am interested in hearing about the 26. I look at the dimensions on the web site and it doesn't seem all "that" much smaller. An inch here, an inch there, a couple ounces lighter..... How is it from someone that owns one or someone that has compared the 17 with the 26. Does it seem to be a lot easier to conceal ? What about magazines, is it possible to get pre-ban standard capacity mags ? If so, what is their capacity ? I am interested in any comments you might have on the 17,19,26. Leather, modes of carry, your experiences. I would also be interested in hearing what you think a resonable price would be for any one of these. I think I paid a little too much for the 17.

BB

I carried a 19 for a long time. I didn't like the 26, it was way too small for me (big hands I guess). The 19 has a 15rd capacity and is quite concealable. The 26 is a very popular CCW because it is very small yet has 10rnd capacity, the drawback being it's rather thick width for its short grip and length. You may also want to look at a 36, it's a slim single-stack .45ACP CCW pistol. I always carry my Glocks in a kydex paddle holster, and a ridged holster that fully covers the trigger is a wise choice for a Glock pistol.

Swamp Yankee

Have an older Glock 19 and really like it. Have rented the 26 at a range and just did not care for the way it fit my hand. This was dramatically reflected in my targets. Not to say the 26 is not well built or worthy of consideration, just not my cup of tea.
I believe the 19 will handle more like your model 17 than the 26. That said I would try to rent or borrow a 19 and 26 prior to actually buying.
As for holsters both the 19 and 26 are extremely popular. You should have no problem finding holsters in all configurations from most manufacturers. I use a Don Hume Belt Slide for my Glock 19 when I carry it.
Take Care

9x45

444, you need to decide based on how you draw the weapon. The G26 will not allow all your hand to engage, and for me, that doesn't work. The G19 is 'just enough' to draw, but the G17 is the fastest out of a holster. They are all exactly the same width, but the grip lentgh makes the difference. Unless you carry on your ankle, well, the G19 makes the most sense. G17 mags fit G19s and G26s

shu

Bought a G26 last week to replace my Heritage Stealth which developed a crack in the face of the slide.

Having gotten used to two finger grip, what with the Stealth and a J frame S&W, the short butt is not bothersome so far as control. However there aint much there to hook onto, so it will never be fast and sure on the draw. So far as that goes, would have been better to make the lower frame and magazine thinner and the butt longer. This is a chunky piece, but it actually sets better in a thunderwear socket than the Stealth did.

Had a G17 (full size) and now have G31 (full size). Have never had one of the mid size glocks.

The trigger is quite stiff at the last stage (like all glock) but that's OK for me in a defense weapon, and with no hard safety. Thankfully it takes only a bit of forward motion to reset between shots.

Belial

I think everyone else has already answered all of your questions except in reference to magazines. The standard capacity for the G26 has always been 10rnds. The G26 came out after the ban. G19 and G17 pre ban mags will fit, but quite obviously they will stick out quite a bit.

Actually the main thing I wanted to know was, how much smaller is the 26 than the 19 or 17 ? I don't mean in inches, I mean, do you consider it much easier to conceal. Like I said, in reading dimensions, it doesn't sound all that much smaller, I am looking for a practical opinion. I realize that it would be more difficult to shoot and handle due to it's small size, but I would think that for the situations where ultimate concealability is required a 10 shot 9mm would be better than an 8 shot .380 or a derringer....... Both my current concealment holsters are Milt Sparks Summer Specials worn behind the strong side hip. I was thinking of something similar for the glock. The 29 or 19 would be carried most of the time under a cotton T-shirt in 100+ degree weather. So size is very important. Maybe this would help me out, can you drop a 26 in your back pocket and have it completely swollowed up ? This is just to get an indication of the size.

Tom B

I have owned both the g19 and g26. The 26 is easier to conceal. I carried mine in a IWB and ankle holster. The 26 is too wide to fit in your rear pocket. The largest gun that I have been able to fit in my back pocket comfortably was a Walther PPK. Accuracy out to 25yds is about the same between the g19 and g26. Reliability? well there is no reason to even comment on Glock reliability!

Gino

Since I bought my G26 I haven't carried my G19 again. The G26 is actally pretty easy to conceal...

RHC

I have both a 17 and a 26. The 26 is much easier to conceal, though it's the same thickness as the 17. I also shoot the 26 more accurately. I think that's because the grip swell fits the crease in the middle of hand perfectly on the 26, whereas on the 17 it sticks down into the fat part a little, if that makes sense. I don't think the grip extensions on the 26 are necessary, but shooting is psychological, and if people think they need them, then they do.

Anyway:

17 26

height 5.43 4.17
length 6.49 5.67
width same
weight 22 19.75

2kiddad

If you're worried about grip length, get a couple of the Scheer extensions. It adds nothing to the weight, yet allows you to grip with all three fingers. I've got a G26 and a G34. The 26 is an awesome weapon. Not quite as accurate as the 34 due to barrel length, but damn close. As far as pre ban mags, unless you're going out of your way and seeking trouble, who needs em? Carry an extra mag or two if you feel the need. It's what I do.

Just MHO.

RON in PA

I have both the 19 and 26. I feel, at least for me, that the 26 is the way to go for CCW. If you wear pants with big pockets it's a pocket pistol(use in pocket holster only). The 10 round mag capacity is quite adequate for personal defense, you can always carry a hi-cap as a spare. Many complain about the grip length, but its shortness makes the gun concealable. Shooting with the pinky under the mag is a lot easier then it sounds, you get used to it very quickly. Recoil is very managable due to the double recoil spring system and the gun is as accurate as the 19. The 19 is strictly a belt gun.

gitarmac

My first glock was a 19. Then I got a 26 with the pierce extention for both mags. If I had it to do over I would have a 17 and the 26. The 19 isn't that much smaller than the 17. Plus, for some reason I shoot a lot better with the 26. It seems more accurate, I don't know if it's the way it fits my hand or what.You may find, as I did, that you have too much "overlap" if you get a 19 while having the 17. You should try to shoot one if you can, some people do not like the way the 26 fits the hand, in my case I like it better, but only with the extentions. Some people like it better w/o the extentions.
Yep, if I had it to do over I would have a tricked out 17, for range shooting and the stock 26. The 19 is great if you can only have one though, which was my initial intention, before I became a glockaholic.

ammoeater

I love my 19. 15 rd. capacity, very accurate, and fits my hand well. Wouldn't give it up for anything! I carry either in a FIST #6 IWB, or Bianchi 7510 Minimalist OWB.

Good luck!

Bob Locke

I own two Glocks: a G19 and a G21. Guess which one I carry...

I find the G19 to be the best all-around firearm that Glock has turned out. It is easily concealable, has excellent capacity, and is well-suited to people of small, medium, or large stature. I say that as a person who wears a size 13 ring, so my hands would fall into the last category. For most people my size, the G26 just isn't a real viable option in my opinion. I have always had a hard time getting a solid grip on them, and that leads to lower confidence. And since I know that confidence in your firearm is about 80% of the deal (or more), I go with what works for me and urge each of you to do the same.