Glock 42 vs Mustang XSP?

navajoRN

It's come down to these two. I've handled and shot one semi-auto a couple of years ago, a Ruger .22, but have invested in revolvers up until this point. I purchased my first CCW at the beginning of the year and will be taking a course next month. Got a S&W BodyGuard .38sp/+P revolver w/laser and really hate it! It has a harsh recoil that even my guy who's shot for 30 years didn't like. If I don't like it, I won't practice enough with it to be safe for CCW.

I think it's time to purchase my own semi-auto compact pistol for CCW. I know I can handle a .22 caliber but want a heavier load to get the job done if ever it was needed. I'm looking at going with a .380 caliber, eventually, a 38 Super. Not really interested in the 9mm even though I know they are the rage and ammo is cheaper.

Have been tons of research but decided I needed to go to my LGS and actually handle a few guns. The Glock 42 felt great in my hand and LegallyArmedAmerica did a nice video comparing four different newer .380 compact models with women. The Glock won out but just by a hair compared to the Mustang XSP. http://youtu.be/A7nWBMIeIXI

I'm partial to Colts but am thinking the Glock might be the better choice for CCW. If I'm correct, I think the Mustang should be carried in a cock-and-lock position which I'm not really comfortable with.

Experiences, thoughts, suggestions?

Attachments

• .380 Colt Mustang XSP.JPG
    .380 Colt Mustang XSP.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 54
  • .380-GLOCK-42.jpg
    .380-GLOCK-42.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 36

Sharkbite

First let me state im a HUGE fan of the 1911 style pistols and carried one on duty for years.

That said i really dont like the little mustang 380 series guns. The safety is just too small to use under stress. As a CCW pistol you will be STRESSED should you ever need to deploy the pistol in that role

The alternative is carrying the gun with the chamber empty. Meaning that to use it you need to rack the slide first. The issue with that is in a violent assault you may not have the off hand to do so. SO... you now need to use some alternative method to chamber a round, hooking the rear sight on your belt for instance.

All this just sounds like a bad idea from a tactical standpoint

I now carry a Glock both at work and in my off time. VERY reliable and SAFE system to carry with a round chambered, ready to go. Should i need it, i can draw one handed while my off hand is doing some other task, controlling my protectee, jamming a knife thrust, pushing my wife off the X, whatever.

Id vote Glock of the Two choices above

Skans

You have to carry the Mustang cocked and locked. If you are new to that platform, you need to decide whether that's a problem for you. That said, I prefer the plastic Mustang to the plastic Glock.

TailGator

Notably absent from the review you mentioned was the Sig P238. My wife loves hers, very comfortable to shoot with excellent sights and quite accurate for its size. It might be worth putting your hands on one before you decide.

BarryLee

I’ve owned an older Mustang Plus II for several years and never found the safety to be an issue. Obviously you need to train with whatever platform you choose to get accustomed to the controls. Now, having said that, I might actually choose the GLOCK based on cost, but really suspect you’ll be fine with either. Get the gun you’re the most comfortable with and practice.

JWT

Colt Mustang is a very, very nice little gun. I'd choose it over a Glock any day. Personal preference.

RickB

For a dedicated revolver guy, I'd recommend the Glock. Operation is point-and-squirt, like a revolver, with no need to learn a safety. or adapt to a short trigger.
Having shot single action, cocked 'n' locked pistols almost to the exclusion of anything else, I'd go Mustang. I've shot the similar SIG P238, and it's a nice gun. The only reason I might go for the XSP is that it comes standard with an ambidextrous safety, while I'd have to have it installed on a metal Mustang.
For a self-defense gun I really, really do not like guns without manual safeties. Because not all safeties operate the same way, or are located in the same place, they are somewhat proprietary, so in a gun-grab situation, someone unfamiliar with the gun might not be able to get it to fire without some fiddling. The "trigger safety" is no safety at all.

ftttu

I fired another 50 trouble free rounds again tonight with my 42. Happier than I thought I'd be, especially hearing so many having problems with their 42s.

I'm not against the Colt, I just prefer the Glock.