Glock 42 aka "baby Glock" ammo problem

WildBill45

Today while sorting out my newest acquisition, my HK USP compact 40, I did a little shooting with hollowpoint defensive 380 ACP ammunition, Barnes Tac XPD, loaded by double tap. The rounds would fire, the slide appeared to work, but upon the second squeeze of the trigger the click was heard but no boom! I then manually worked the slide and it easily ejected the empty case, and then loaded a fresh round, boom, then upon pulling the trigger again, click, and no boom. The slide didn't go all the way back, as seen in this video, thus pushing the empty case back in the barrel and not firing of course, but when manually ejecting the case it worked every time.

I then loaded mag after mag with my new ammo, HPR 380 Hyperclean and it worked every time, as well as when I shot the Hornady Custom 380 ACP with XTP loads! It is not the gun; this time it really was the ammo. I called and called doubletap and talked to the man in charge of the loading and was assured he would send me more ammo to test, but wished I saved one of the rounds to send him back. I did not think of that at the time, as I thought it was the gun at first. I will do a retest when I receive the new ammo to ensure it does work in the little Glock. I then shot the same loads but for my .45 ACP Glock and those rounds worked like a Swiss watch!

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEYYUucjDa8

Attachments

• Glock 42 sm.jpg
    Glock 42 sm.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 31
That the ammo is expensive (noted in the video) isn't really salient. Not all guns like all ammo. That is why you are supposed to test your defense ammo before loading it in your gun for defensive purposes.

Forget about the issue with the ammo and pick something else for defensive work.

WildBill45

Not all guns like all ammo

I have been around guns for a long while and know that, but this problem is way beyond that thought. My big Glock, 30S handles the same load and bullet design, just bigger. I will get more and see how it works, I am fairly sure it is just a light load, but I won't know until get more to shoot and see...

So the ammo in your gun didn't work right and so you are going to go buy some more of it? You ARE the customer I would want to have.

That your big Glock handles the same model of the ammo in a different caliber is completely irrelevant. You are talking about different guns and different calibers.

AK103K

It sounds like you might have had a bad lot of under powered/light loads there. Were the rounds hitting the target where you were aiming?

It sounds/looks like they were just strong enough to move the slide rearwards enough to just reset the trigger.

I can understand why they wanted some back. Id also assume they would want the box and brass back too, as they would be hints there as well.

Ive used Double Taps in a couple of different calibers, and never had any issues with them. Not that all the different makers havent had an issue at some point.

WildBill45

It sounds/looks like they were just strong enough to move the slide rearwards enough to just reset the trigger.

I believe that is exactly what was going on. I contacted the company and have not heard back yet on getting more rounds to retest. If not, then I will not have more news later and will not use the ammo in .380 at least, but most likely in any gun. I switched to Hornady Custom XTP, HPR XTP for now...

WildBill45

new information

This is from a test report from The Truth About Guns...

And if Buffalo Bore makes the 42 nauseous, Freedom Munitions 100 grainers makes it puke all over its shoes. On the other end of the spectrum, a relatively lighter shooting round like the Barnes XPD doesn’t seem to cycle the gun at all.

This is the exact ammo I was shooting when the same problem as above occurred. I feel better now knowing this may be a problem of that ammo and this gun matching up and not just for me!!! Everything else works great, but it Heavy Buffalo Bore Plus P ammo is a problem as well, so I will not shoot the stuff, which I have, in my Glock 42!!!