Glock .40 Caliber Chamber Support 'Evolution'

Sarge

I have long contended that Glock, never one to admit there was a chamber-support problem in the first place, made subtle changes to mitigate this problem over the years. Over time I noticed a couple of things that made me suspect this. More recently there was a third one, which when viewed in light of the others, convinced me altogether.

The first was the gradual extinction of NCIC Bulletins, distributed to LE agencies, describing involuntary disassembly events involving new Glock .40 caliber pistols and new factory ammo. These were common as rain through the early 90's, with several such events occurring on ranges where I knew the FTO. It became fashionable to 'blame the ammo' for those incidents but we knew that same ammo was working just fine through various S&W and Beretta autos- just to name a few.

The second was the changes I've seen in range pick-up .40 brass (all I ever use) over the past 10-15 years. There was a time when you couldn't give me .40 brass which had been fired through a Glock; the stuff looked like somebody's bad pottery experiment, all done up in brass. This pained me, being a frugal sort; 'free' brass was everywhere and you couldn't use it! About 1995 however, some acquaintances related that they were now using said brass, but with a high mortality rate due to 'acute glockbelly'- meaning they were so bad they wouldn't go up into a Lee carbide die. I started loading the .40 not long after that and my experience confirmed what they told me. I've also noticed that in more recent times, those losses have diminished to just about nothing. My outfit issues G22's made in 2000 or so and I've reloaded some of that brass without any 'casualties' at all.

The third and defining event came when I compared two OEM Glock 23 barrels, made 11 years apart. This came about as a result of trying to sort out an aftermarket barrel, to determine why it wouldn't shoot as well as the factory offerings. Shown below are three G23 barrels, admittedly a small sample but interesting all the same. You take a look and decide for yourself.

CaseSupport2-1.jpg

Last edited:

laytonj1

I hate to step on your discovery but, the changes to the chamber support are well known and have been for some time... at least by Glock fans. A quick search with google will reveal this.

Jim

Last edited:

Sarge

Well, there's my trouble Jim. I'm not really a fan of anything. I only recently started carrying & shooting Glocks myself.

Don't know that I'd count it as a discovery on my part; more a confirmation of what I'd suspected for some time.

laytonj1

I bought my first Glock (G27 in 40S&W) last year. As soon as I started searching info about it I found out about the infamous 40 S&W kabooms. More searching revealed that the chamber support had been beefed up. Made me feel a lot better. Just picked up my 2nd Glock today, a G19 in 9mm. Guess that makes me a Glock fan now.
BTW, your post is still good info for others that don't know.

Jim

Oldjarhead

My Glock m23 has served me for 10 years on factory fed ammo without a single malfunction. That is about what I estimate is two to three thousand rounds of factory ammo. I don't think it is unusual for for a gun manufacturer to make small changes for improvement. Sometimes the "If it aint broke, don't fix it" applies, but I personally have not had any problems.

stephen426

From a liability standpoint, they probably felt it was better to make the modifications discreetly. If they had publicized the change, it would have been an admission in fault and they probably would have had to issue a recall and change out all the Glock .40 barrels they have ever made. Such a recall would probably increase the success of anyone who sued Glock for being injured in a kaboom incident. That was probably a calculated decision on their part, somewhat similar to GM and the Gremlin.

For those who don't know about the Gremlin, it was a car that was designed with the gas tank in the back. There was inadequate protection to keep the tank from rupturing when involved in a rear end collision and several people were killed in fires that started after try were rear ended. GM decided it was cheaper to pay those families off than completely redesign the car and issue a massive recall. In the end, this decision was made public and a massive lawsuit was leveyed against them. I forget what the judgement was, but punitive damages were involved.

The moral of the story? If your product is seriously flawed, ten suck it up and issue a recall unless you want to lose your pants in a lawsuit for knowing ignoring a design flaw and trying to cover it up.

cougar gt-e

And it wasn't the Gremlin from AMC that had the issue it was the Pinto from Ford that had the gas tank positioned to smack the differential housing and split in a rearend collision. (Ford fixed it by adding a 6x10" plastic sheet between the differential and the gas tank. So, if you have a pinto or Mustang II, don't remove that piece of plastic!).

Crosshair

I've been wondering why I am not seeing these "Glock bulges" most of the time in all the 40 S&W brass I pick up. Though every so often on a trip to the range I find badly deformed brass and several partial case failures with the trademark Glock firing pin impressions. (Small crack where you could see light through the crack.) Someone must own an older Glock with the poor case support or one that is firing out of battery. (Another Glock design flaw.) They must have no idea what their gun is doing.

Erik

"I have long contended that Glock, never one admit..."

Glock has a history of rolling out changes it provides little addition of or explanation for. The chamber support issue you are illustrating being one of them. Why they go that route is speculative, abut it seems to fly in the face of classic business models I am familiar with. However, in their defense, their business model is robust.

stephen426

Thanks for the corrections guys. Business law classes were quite a few years ago. Regardless, you get the idea.

I still can't believe that there are Glocks spitting out split brass and the owners of those guns don't notice or don't care. I know for non-reloaders, few people ever bother to pick up their brass. I can't believe it doesn't do anything to the frame.

jgcoastie

Glock can do whatever they want to their chambers, but until they abandon polygonal-rifled barrels in favor of traditional rifling, I'll replace all of mine with a National Match barrel from EFK Firedragon. I reload lead rounds for practice, and have been known to carry LSWC from time to time for SD/HD, so their chamber "improvements" don't do much for me...