Glock .357SIG FTE Problem

FrankZappa

OK, here's the deal. I have a Glock 27 and I got an aftermarket .357 SIG barrel for it. The gun goes bang and the bullet goes downrange, but I'm getting MANY failures to eject. Almost every other shot does this. The extractor is gripping the rim alright, and when I cycle the slide by hand it works just fine. It just seems that the cartridge dosen't have enough "oomph" to kick the slide back all the way for proper cycling.
Yes, I am using handloads. I started on the low end of the power scale and worked up my loads from there. The last load I tested was just a hair below the max charge listed in my books and I'm still having the same problem.
What I'm thinking is that the stock recoil spring for the G27 (.40 cal) is just too heavy for the .357 SIG and I need to go with a lighter one.

Is this a fair assumption?
Maybe a spring from a G26?

labguru

If your near the max powder charge I would look at the primer. Is your primer what the book says to use or are you substituting a primer. Not all primers are the same and each burns a little differently.

Alleykat

A G26 uses the same recoil spring as a G27. Yeah, that's nuts, but that's the way it is. You could have used a Glock factory .357 Sig barrel and probably not experienced the difficulties that you describe. Make sure the chamber is really clean.

If problems continue, call the vendor from whom you bought the barrel and maybe they'll offer some help.

bluewater

Sounds to me that your reloads are too weak to properly cycle your slide. What is your load? I have a Glock 27 with a 357 Sig barrel and a 9MM barrel. Aftermarket barrels are KKM Precision and your problem has nothing to do with primers! No problems on my end.

Last edited:

1iviper

i have a g33 barrel i use in my g27 and not a problem yet.i use the factory .40 mags with the sig barrel also.

have you tried anything but reloads?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Does it do the same thing with the factory barrel?

I'd guess it's possible that the chamber in the barrel is slightly undersized. After it goes BANG the fit is just a bit too tight, requiring excess force to remove the case and leaving less energy to cycle the slide.

Also possible that your hot reloads are over-expanding the case causing it to stick in the same manner but that doesn't explain why the lighter loads would have the same problem.

Try some factory ammo and try it in both barrels, not just how it shoots but see if the cartridges seem to fit the same in both barrels by hand.

You might also try oiling the chamber just before you fire a round and see if that helps. It might at least tell you if it's a case sticking problem.