Glock 30S vs. Shield .45 2.0

Which would you choose over the other, and why?

• Glock 30S

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Smith Shield .45 2.0

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jack19

MODS. I put this in the wrong forum, didn't realize. Can you move it to the handgun Semi Forum? My apologies.

I'm retiring my old faithful a 1911. 63 is closer than 33 and I'm tired of the weight.

Thinking about a Glock 30S or a Shield .45 2.0.

I have mags and holsters for both. Have carried a 30 before, and a Shield 9 Plus, so pretty familiar.

Both about the same size, clearly the Glock is a little thicker and the Shield under and inch in width. The Glock has the advantage of taking G21 mags for backup. Grip is better on the Shield.

Would like your thoughts and experiences of one over the other. Asked on another board and was told to buy a HK, not that helpful. And answers are most often better here. lol

Advice appreciated; I just have the nagging feeling that I'm missing something. :)

Last edited:

Shadow9mm

Glock has cheaper mags, easier maintenance. S&W has a better trigger but a mag disconnect safety. Personally I hate mag disconnect safeties, so my vote is Glock.

If you dont care about mag disconnect safeties, pic the one that is the most comfortable in your hand. Both guns are solid choices.

Last edited:

RKG

Neither. If you want a polymer-framed .45 that is still shootable, I'd go for a S&W M&P .45 Compact.

toxophilus

I'd go with the Glock 30s; I currently have a S&W M&P .45 Compact but I also have a G23 that goes into rotation (have had the G23 longer than the S&W, more familiar with it).

The S&W M&P .45 Compact seems 'snappier' than my other .45s but as with anything the more I shoot it the more I become accustomed to it.

MSSSII.jpg

seanc

Glock 30S is easier to break down for cleaning. Also, if you decide to change the sights, Glocks are much easier to change (basing vs. the gen 1 Shield 9 that I have). Lastly, my G30S is the most accurate pistol I own. This past weekend I did pretty decent against the clock with it too.

smee78

When I made the same choice I bought the Glock, I like the aftermarket support, and the ability to carry my G21 mags as backup and I shoot them well.

The question is why did you sell the Glock in the first place? Was there a problem or was it to fund another purchase?

L-2

I still have a similar G30SF. This was my 3rd G30 variant (not counting a similar G29, and a couple of G21SF guns) and I'd already much Glock experience, including parts & tools.

I've got zero S&W M&P experience and didn't wish to get involved with yet another platform.

I'll still sometimes carry one of my 1911s, too, but agree they are quite big and heavy being 5" steel-framed models.

OP, let us know what you decide upon someday. While I haven't heard much if anything regarding an M&P Shield .45 2.0, I haven't heard anything bad about them either.
(When in doubt, get both.)

HighValleyRanch

My favorite is neither, although I've had the Glock 30 and 21, 1911's, 9 and 40 shields.
Mine is the Kahr P45. Nice and thin, light and can take 1911 magazines.
Currently using a Wilson Combat 8 round magazine designed for a colt officers frame, so 8+1 of .45 ACP in a very compact package.
I can shoot ragged hole groups at 15 yards with it, but one has to master that double action feeling trigger.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3736.JPG
    IMG_3736.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 646

amprecon

I've owned a G30, it didn't do much for me. I have the Smith & Wesson Performance Center M&P45 Shield M2.0 non-ported 4" barrel which I prefer over the G30.