glock 27

safe cracker

i was wanting a baby glock 26, no i see the glock 27 can use a 9mm conversion barrel, sounds like the way to go...has any one used this set up and how does it run..thank you..

Uncle Malice

I've done this with a G23 and a 9mm conversion barrel. It works great and is plenty reliable. I only used the 9mm barrel for range use though, and carried with the stock .40 set up, which I think is how most people would do it anyways...

All you need are 9mm magazines to go with it. If you are looking at a Gen4 model, you may need to get the 9mm recoil spring as well. Previous models used the same power recoild spring for both 9mm and .40, so it was a non-issue.

Lone Wolf has the cheapest barrels. They are pretty decent, especially if you're just going to the range. You can upgrade to barrels like KKM Precision, but those are more intended as upgrades for factory barrels for competition use.

Uncle Malice

you can also buy a 9mm trigger housing and get a glock 26 factory barrel and make an actual 26 out of a 27.

No. No. No. No. That's wrong.

The diameter of the hole for the barrel in the front of the G27/G33 slide is larger than that of the G26. If you try to stick a factory G26 barrel in it, it will be lose and flop around, and blow your gun to pieces if you try and shoot it.... Geez. Please don't tell people this stuff, if you haven't actually done it.

you can also convert to .357 sig, but thats in a nother ball park.

Actually, converting a G27 to 357sig is literally just dropping in a factory G33 barrel. No need for new magazines or anything else. Easy peasy.

Get the G27 and the Lone Wolf conversion barrel for easy shooting of 9mm.

Uncle Malice

Yeah, it might seem like it would fit, but there's no good lock up at the crown. This is why you can convert a G27 down to 9mm but not a G26 up to .40S&W

The 9mm conversion barrel is made with thicker barrel wall to fit properly.

safe cracker

thanks every one, went and put one in my hands today just not ever shot one, dont seem to be alot to hold on to..lol..for those that have shot it just how snappy are they..have shot the pf9 and if the recoil is any thing like the pf9 may be hard to hold on to...?

Uncle Malice

The .40 round does have quite a bit of snap to it, but it's not terrible. There are several ways to deal with the problem though. You can get pink extensions for the factory magazine that will give your pinky some grip.

I really like the GAP Ent. floorplates as they do not add more grip length to the gun(reducing concealability) but give a nice platform to lock your fingers into the gun.

Check out the thread I posted last week regarding my G27 Gen 4

I have not shot the PF9, but I've heard it can be pretty jumpy. I don't have the experience to compare the two. If you want the extra grip for your pinky, you might want to try moving up to the compact gun, i.e.- Glock 23.

Cheers.

safe cracker

thanks Uncle..where i looked at the g27 today the guy said i should stay away from the gen4, said they have had problems with them, but that may be because he didnt have 1 for sale,,lol..checked out ur prv. thread..looks good so now i just need to deside g3 or g4..lol.. thanks again

Uncle Malice

The majority of the (minimal) amount of issues that were experienced with the Gen 4's were with the 9mm versions. The new dua recoil spring system was designed around the .40S&W to help reduce felt recoil. They used the same spring in both the .40S&W and 9mm guns and as a result, some people experienced failures with light and/or underpowered range ammo - such as Federal Champion 115gr or MagTech 115gr. Glock has already released a new, and lighter powered spring for the 9mm guns and will send one for free if you get a 9mm that has the old spring.

The Gen4 .40's have been very good, and the 2 I now have are quite nice. I like the new magazine catch and grip texture a lot as well as the slightly decreased hump in the back. I help a Gen3 and Gen4 the day I bought my G27 and the Gen4 felt quite a bit better.

Obviously, it's your choice, but I would say to try them both out before making your decision.

Uncle Malice

.45 is a much lower pressure round than the 9mm.

I do understand what you're saying though. The biggest reason is probably that it would be too easy to make a mistake and try shooting 9mm through a .40 barrel or something. Not to mention that a 9mm using a barrel that thick adds a bit of weight and Glocks are well known for their light weight compared to size and firepower.

Chainman

I got my conversion for my Glock Gen 4 and the extra mag about two weeks ago here:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS141-1.html

So far I have about 250 rounds through it with Walmart White Box 9mm and have had only one malfunction during the first magazine (stovepipe). After that it never had an issue. Fun to blast away with 9mm, walk to a range table slap in a .40 bbl and go right back at it...

Accuracy with the barrel is just as good as with the stock barrel .40...maybe better.

No problems at 21 feet blowing the 10 ring out.

Noticeably less recoil in the 9mm than the forty, good for practicing the trigger pull and such...I will make it a habit to shoot at least one full clip of .40 through the gun though so I don't get too used to it. (Don't want to fall in the .38spcl / .357 mag trap.)

9mm ammo runs about $6 less per 100 locally. So the beauty of this is once you shoot about 17 boxes through it, it pays for itself.

It has proven so reliable, I plan on running major, minor, and belly gun at our red-neck pin shoot next week with the same gun and a bbl swap. You'd be surprised how well that 27 can hang with the 1911's (we have alot of unpracticed shooters). Do i win? HELL NO, but I beat a few of them and never finish too far behind; that just makes me smile inside.

The nice part is, I get to carry my pin gun that I practice target acquisition and speed shooting...most of the guys lock their's back up in their safe...tsk tsk.

Last edited:

ClydeFrog

Glock 9x19mm barrels, Glock 27 .40S&W...

Research the posts on this subject.
I looked into buying a police trade in 22 .40S&W & buying a www.Glockstore.com 9x19mm after market barrel.
A few forum members said not to do it. The sub compact 27 .40 may work but look over all the material first.
You may want to buy a custom slide & parts too then just replace the whole unit to go from .40S&W to 9x19mm.

ClydeFrog
www.CustomizeyourGlock.com www.Glockbooks.com www.Glock.com

Chainman

Clyde, your post made me very curious, I did search the forums and all the threads I've seen had good things to say except for a few posts.

Can you link the ones you are talking about so i can see the issues.

The 9mm conversion barrel is bored slightly off center so that a 9mm casing will hit the ejector on a .40 with no modification.

As far as the extractor I can only guess that .5-1mm doesn't make enough difference that the .40 ejector can't get a bite on the rim anyways.

With regards to magazines, I have seen quite a few video's of people just using the .40 mag's to shoot 9mm with no issues either, but I haven't tried that yet so I don't have any personal experience.

As I read through the posts I could tell that most people saying you need to change out lots of items seem to be speaking theoretically or in the terms that you would want to carry for SD.

I use my for range practice, I myself don't have any intention on carrying with the 9mm bbl in it. If I wanted to carry a 9mm for SD I would buy a Glock 26.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444591&highlight=glock+conversion

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441881&highlight=glock+9mm+conversion

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439907&highlight=glock+9mm+conversion

Uncle Malice

i know the chamber is a little offset in the conversion barrel due to the ejector being straight in the 27, in your guys' opinion would changing the trigger housing with the conversion barrel help in extraction of the spent case? or is it kind of a pointless effort at ensuring reliability?

No, it's not necessary. I heard that too. When I first did the conversion on my Glock 23, I ordered the conversion barrel, the 9mm trigger housing, and even the 9mm extractor. I actually had better reliability using the conversion barrel, only. I didn't really have failures with the trigger housing, but the brass ejected more erratically.

As I understand it, the conversion barrels are designed to take these slight dimensional differences into consideration. In my experience, that was very true and my gun functioned very well with the 40->9 barrel and a glock 19 magazine.

I looked into buying a police trade in 22 .40S&W & buying a www.Glockstore.com 9x19mm after market barrel. A few forum members said not to do it.

Sounds like you got talked out of a nice setup.

I actually prefer the compact and subcompact guns, but the conversion barrels work quite well and make range practice a bit cheaper. :)

If the conversion barrels were unreliable, they wouldn't sell as well as they do.

ClydeFrog

Chainman's Glock ?, KKM-LoneWolf Glock barrels...

To answer C's question about the Glock posts, I was checking www.Glockstore.com and looking into a stainless match grade KKM barrel or a "drop in" type LoneWolf Dist 9x19mm barrel for a Glock 22 .40S&W.
Forum members said I should buy a Glock 9x19mm slide to fit the parts & 9x19mm after market barrel.
A few stated the LoneWolf Dist barrel(s) can work with just the barrel & magazines.
The size of the .40S&W cases was part of the problem compared to the smaller 9x19mm(.38).

ClydeFrog

iblong

I have the gen 3 27 and a LWD 9 conversion barrel and its been accurate and flawless,But I only use the 9 barrel for plinking and range use.

thanks uncle malice!

Hey now! Back off! He's MY uncle? Ok? Are we clear?
:D

Love my little Glock 27...Wouldn't trade it for the world. :)

....Ok maybe for the WORLD...But that'll never be up for grabs anyways, regardless of what "Tony Montana" says.

Burger

Glock 27 are awesome little buggers.

I have a conversion barrel to shoot 9mm out of it, but I like to shoot 40 cal more.

You can FEEL THE POWER, yet very controllable.