Glock 27 - Perfect pocket gun?

Farmland

I thought I would give an over view of the Glock 27. First I will say this is a gun that is not for everyone. It certainly is not a gun I would recommend for a first purchase if you plan on doing a lot of general shooting.

This gun was purchased as a replacement carry gun for my Sig Sauer 380 caliber pistol. I wanted a little more of a round and the size of the pistol offered a viable alternative.

The big difference is that this little gun does have one heck of a kick and is not one I would call pleasant to shot at all. However it wasn't bought as a shooter but I did take a beating running it through a 250 round get familiar time.

I have medium hands and I found this is not an easy gun to hold leaving my pinkie with nothing but air to grab. It certainly is a gun that will leave an impression on your wrist. It was the first gun that I actual ever shot where i said I had enough and dropped the magazine out and cleared a round of the chamber. Frankly I just didn't want to shot it again.

Now for the gun, what a great idea and nice package. If you have shot the large Glocks then moving into the compact 27 is easy. There are no snag points and even though it is small it has great sights for a so called pocket pistol.

The gun is accurate and has no problems giving great groups at the 25 yard marker. The sights are spaced about 5 1/2 inches apart that really help when a distance shot is required. The gun is just over an inch wide and has a foot print of 6 1/2 inches by a little over 4 inches. So it does truly fit in any pocket that I own.

In 250 rounds I didn't have one miss feed or any other problems. The only function I had to really work to improve was getting use to working the mag release. That really is part of the design and once you get the feel of the location etc it becomes easier.

I tired to get this gun while UNLOADED snagged on something but it just doesn't happen. Those are qualities I do like in a small defensive gun.

My only dislikes really have to deal with a gun in this caliber at this size. It can hurt and just isn't a pleasant gun to shoot. You must have a firm grip and get ready for that jarring kick that impacts the web of your hand and if your like me it beats the heck out of your wrist. However it delivers the punch you would expect from a 40 caliber and for a pocket gun that is pretty good.

I'm not looking forward though to my next practice session but i feel those seasons are important if you are going to carry any gun.

Who might not like this gun?

1.) Anyone with arthritis in their hands or wrist.
2.) Possibly most small women or men.
3.) Elderly due to the hard bone jarring recoil.
4.) Someone looking for a gun to serve both concealed carry and target.
5.) Someone with a large hand.
6.) Someone looking for a little lighter (weight) pocket gun.

Advantage

1.) Ease of operation.
2.) Compact size
3.) Caliber and magazine capacity (9)
4.) Sight picture
5.) Less chance of snagging on clothing

Warning if you decide to add the Pearce grip extensions they may fail the drop test. I added the one round capacity and the normal pinkie extensions. They both came off the magazine when dropped from the waste when loaded. The original magazines without the extension all passed the drop test.
Not a scientific test but one to consider in a defensive gun & magazine.

rsxr22

farmland

pretty good review of the 27. The 26 would suite most people who could not handle the recoil. I think you'd have to wear some pretty big pants to use for pocket carry but thats my opinion. I prefer to carry my hk p2ksk which is similar to the size of 27, iwb.

If i live in OH, so its not ever very hot around here. But if i was in FL or somewhere else with a hotter climate. I would look to a smaller gun such as a j-frame, LCP,Sig 238, or the likes.

Another good CCW gun that has been getting decent reviews lately and of which i have first hand experience with because my gf carries it, is the Walther PPS. It is kind of pricey but damn is it thin. It is not the smallest gun but the frame and slide are just as big as they need to be and it conceals VERY easily

LanceOregon

Here are some photos comparing the size of the Glock to the size of a Ruger LCP:

2023220270100259265S600x600Q85.jpg

2874194910100259265S600x600Q85.jpg

2222890770100259265S600x600Q85.jpg

And here it is compared to what I pocket carry, the Kahr PM9:

g26_vs_kahr_pm-9_2.jpg

g26_vs_kahr_pm-9.jpg

The much greater width of the little Glocks is the primary concern for pocket carry. It is pretty fat for being such a small gun.

For a pocket gun in .40 S&W, I would suggest considering the Walther PPS. It handles the recoil of the .40 S&W better than the small polymer Kahrs, in my opinion. And it is even a tad thinner than the Kahr, and is only a little longer.

Here is the Glock ( on the left ) next to a Walther PPS ( on the right ) for comparison:

DSC03080.jpg

-

Last edited:

donmor53

Linen cargo pants and shorts are the answer here on the Gulf Coast. With that in mind for casual wear...the Glock sub series can fit the bill. I know DEA, Houston PD and Harris County sheriffs that dress casually with cargoes that all carry either the 26 or 27. All do carry in pocket holsters. No way would I carry a Glock without the proper pocket holster!

Perfect? Maybe not!

Doable with acceptable results with casual attire and a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster? Absolutely.

LanceOregon

Doable with acceptable results with casual attire and a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster? Absolutely.

If anyone would like a leather holster that is similar in design to the Nemesis, I really love my "Pocket Grabber" made by High Noon Holsters. It has material on it that is very similar to what the Nemesis has, for gripping the holster. In addition, there is a big "anchor" on the end to further help keep the holster reliably retained in your pocket during a draw. And most importantly, each High Noon brand holster is designed to custom fit a specific handgun model.

Here is what my Kahr PM9 looks inside this holster:

3751106434_9f0acabd10_b.jpg

The other nice thing is that for an extra charge they will also customize the holster so it will fit a pistol with the new Crimson Trace LaserGuard installed on it. I have one of these on my PM9, and it is really awesome. It comes on instantly when you grip the pistol, and the laser dot is so big and bright!! And it is available for the pocket Glocks too, as you can see here:

00-01-16-09-0145.jpg

-

HKFan9

I like my Glock 17 as much as the next. But personally my "perfect" pocket gun is my Kahr Arms PM-9. Not bashing the Glock but the Kahr is my personal choice for CCW and IMHO superior to the tiny Glocks. It is made as nice as my HK, mine has been reliable as my Glock, and the thing is tiny. The trigger is the best DAO trigger I have ever had the pleasure of firing on a semi auto. It is long smooth and breaks cleanly. The gun is tiny yet has very good control. I added a 5$ Hogue Handall jr. grip to it and it is awesome. I tought about getting a Glock 19 for carry but would probably still carry my PM-9 over it.

Uncle Malice

I vote for the XD-40 sub-compact as my perfect concealed gun. While it's certainly not a pocket gun, neither is the glock 27 unless you're 300 lbs and wear huge cargo pants. In that case, the XD sub is also a 'pocket' gun. :p

I had a Glock 26 and Glock 27. The Glock 26 is a pleasure to shoot... the G27 is fun but violent.

I'm wearing the XD-40 sub-compact bi-tone in a cheap uncle mike's iwb holster. it's ridiculously comfortable. I honestly didn't think it would be that great... but it is.

I had been wearing my M&P 9c in a Glaco summer comfort iwb holster... it was pretty nice too bu the forward cant on made the edge of the handle dig into my little 'love handles' when i sit at my desk or in my car. lol

The other day I tucked in the XD and drove home. Went out to eat and really forgot I still had it on me for a minute. I always thought people were full of it when they say 'i forgot i had it'... I called BS... I went to the restroom and that's when i was like 'oh yeah!'

hickok45

I've been carrying the G26 and G27 in cargo pockets for at least 10 years. Works just fine.

Yep, it's a little thicker than some other guns out there, but with this baby, you get a gun that, for all practical purposes, gives one the same capabilities of a full size service pistol. That is, provided you've mastered the little bugger!

G27 is quite a masterpiece.

Last edited:

NWCP

+1 on the PM9. The ideal pocket pistol if you're looking for 9mm. Mine has been flawless since purchased. The PM40 on the other hand is a real punisher. Too much cartridge for such a small package IMHO. The P2000SK is another nice weapon, but the Kahr is smaller and easier to conceal in very light clothing.

LanceOregon

To all of the other PM9 fans, I am really loving the new Crimson Trace Laser Guard for the Kahr on mine. It is quite a combo to have inside your pocket. Here is my PM9 without the holster:

ct_laser_PM9_close_on.jpg

-

Interesting review. Shooting my G27 has been very comfortable to shoot, especially with the stock magazine. Pinkie under the mag actually provides great balance since the middle and ring fingers (strong hand, shooting hand) are the main sources on grabing the grip. Just make sure your wrists are locked when shooting. The recoil is actually soft for me because of the double recoil spring set up.

Thanks for the opinion.

Deaf Smith

I perfer the 27 as a IWB gun for behind the hip carry. And if you have no gut, the appendix position with a T-shirt works and is very very fast.

It's advanages include it carries 11 rounds of .40, excellent reliablity, outstanding corrosion resistance, polygon barrel for max velocity for barrel length, talkes larger capacity mags (Glock 23 and 22 mags), will last well past 50,000 rounds, and quite controlable with practice.

And yes, you can get a Glock 33 barrel in .357 Sig, Lone wolf 9mm barrel, and AACK .22 long rifle unit.

Makes a mighty handy guy you can shoot alot.

Alleykat

I have no use for a .40 in any platform, but I sure do like my G26! Won't be "pocketcarrying" it, though. Too heavy and bulky.