Glock 26 shortage?

HistoryJunky

A couple of my local gun dealers have told me they are having problems keeping Gen 4 Glock 26. I was going to order one but they said they are all out right now.

Is this a local phenomenon or has anyone else experienced something similar?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

sliponby

I'll be danged. I just checked and Bud's Gun Shop is out of stock for the G26. Not sure about my local gun stores but I'll have to see if they're low or out.

HistoryJunky

Here are the Glock dealers in the 50 mile range from Freeport.
https://us.glock.com/dealer-locator?zip=61032&radius=100&resultSet=dealer-link
Thanks for the information there. I will probably just wait. I like our 2-3 FFLS in the area and would prefer to buy from one of them.

As an added bonus, they're often considerably cheaper than other gun stores.

Both of my local FFLs had the Glock 26 when it was in stock for nearly $100 less than a bigger shop in a bigger city.

On the national level I have seen a fair number of websites sold out of the 26.

GeoJelly

This is strictly a SWAG – but Glock just introduced a new 36 or 30 – don't remember which – with a rail. Maybe there is a new version of the 26 in the pipeline with a rail… Just sayin' ...

Edited to add: So - the supply of standard G26s may have dried up waiting on new production to arrive.

adamBomb

I really think glock purposely puts out 'just enough' of their pistols to meet demand so that they appear to be always sold out. I just cannot imagine that that a company as experienced as they are can be sold out of so many models so often and for so many continuous years unless they are really bad at manufacturing/predicting the market which just doesn't make sense. I have seen this with the glock 26 for like 10 years now among their other models. I have also talked to dealers who say that glock only delivers product to them like 1-2x per year and they cant request what they get. They might get one g26 or 5 or none. Same with all of their other models. I am not sure if thats the norm but that what one of my LGS owners told me. So if they get none they might be sold out for like 6 months.

HistoryJunky

I really think glock purposely puts out 'just enough' of their pistols to meet demand so that they appear to be always sold out. I just cannot imagine that that a company as experienced as they are can be sold out of so many models so often and for so many continuous years unless they are really bad at manufacturing/predicting the market which just doesn't make sense. I have seen this with the glock 26 for like 10 years now among their other models. I have also talked to dealers who say that glock only delivers product to them like 1-2x per year and they cant request what they get. They might get one g26 or 5 or none. Same with all of their other models. I am not sure if thats the norm but that what one of my LGS owners told me. So if they get none they might be sold out for like 6 months.
Man I hope you're wrong. That sounds completely insane and not like a sustainable business model.

I was thinking as well, why is a big time gun manufacturer not keeping up with demand? The possible explanation of developing a new model/variant may explain it.

adamBomb

Man I hope you're wrong. That sounds completely insane and not like a sustainable business model.

I was thinking as well, why is a big time gun manufacturer not keeping up with demand? The possible explanation of developing a new model/variant may explain it.

I mean I just cant figure it out. I have been seeing these posts since like 2005 or so with various glock models and they never seem to end. Just typing it into google here is the first post which is about a glock shortage in 2008:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-102220.html

Coming out with a new model does make sense but doesn't explain why they have had these shortages for so long. They are either terrible at predicting the market, have a manufacturing issue, or are purposely doing it. They are experts at marketing so thats why I am going with the 'they are purposely doing it'. This drives up both demand and prices. Then again you have the whole Obama scare and such in 2012. I mean who knows. It does appear though that glock has an issue that most other gun manufactures do not.

TunnelRat

^Yea and what happened in 2008? An election. What happened in 2012? An election. What happens this year? An election. It doesn't seem too difficult to connect the dots. Glock's "issue" is brand recognition that drives people to look for their products, even for new gun owners. Should they ratchet up production come election years? Probably. But I will say that only 6 months ago or so and all the stores I visited had stock coming out of their butts from a glut in the market.

I'm not sure we can divine an evil plan behind Glock from the fact that a number of stores are out of stock due to high demand. For that matter, a lot of this will vary by locale as I know 2/3 of the bigger LGS near me have the 26 and I think the third does as well, I just haven't been there in a bit. Not all stores are treated equally when it comes to getting shipments.

cmdc

What TunnelRat said. Not all stores are treated equally. In my area, ALL of the mom-and-pop stores are out/backordered on G26s, but the local Cabela's has (last time I checked) two in stock at full-boat retail.

carguychris

In addition to what cmdc and TunnelRat said, the recent boom-bust shortage-glut cycle has actually been very hard on many local mom 'n' pop gun stores.

During the shortages, they couldn't make money selling product they didn't have, and many got burned during the subsequent gluts when the distributors finally fulfilled their backorders and the stores wound up with more product than they could realistically move—particularly if they bought that inventory on credit, which I assure you many of them did.

This problem isn't as acute for stores like Cabela's and Academy Sports because they also have clothing, camping gear, shoes, fishing gear, tennis rackets, etc. to fall back on. Not so for your LGS.

I assure you that this time around, many mom 'n' pop gun shops are deliberately NOT ordering lots of backordered product, and are more likely to be preemptively raising prices instead. Their stock on hand is likely to reflect these decisions during the coming months.

Last edited:

HistoryJunky

You all are right about the big stores. They had the 26 when I went to a larger city, but at nearly a 100 dollar mark up.

I guess I'll wait.

TunnelRat

I guess I'll wait.

And that is a free market at work. The only comment I would make is that while I have no desire to encourage panic, if you do see one at a decent price I would grab it. Supply is likely to get more strained as the year goes on.

lee n. field

Here are the Glock dealers in the 50 mile range from Freeport.
https://us.glock.com/dealer-locator?...et=dealer-link

That doesn't help as much as you might think. All the flagged points are a couple hours away, in the Chicago west burbs, or over one state or another's border. A purchase in this benighted state requires two trips (with a waiting period between).

History Junky -- have you checked the gunshop in Forreston? (Not Schryver's (I'm not even sure he still has his FFL), the one that took over his old building.) The one time I was in there, they seemed well stocked, though way high on price.

Me, I'm not too worried. I've got my G19, not too anxious to get another Glock soon.

Thanks for the information there. I will probably just wait. I like our 2-3 FFLS in the area and would prefer to buy from one of them.

But, yeah, I'd prefer to spend money with the local guys.

HistoryJunky

That doesn't help as much as you might think. All the flagged points are a couple hours away, in the Chicago west burbs, or over one state or another's border. A purchase in this benighted state requires two trips (with a waiting period between).

History Junky -- have you checked the gunshop in Forreston? (Not Schryver's (I'm not even sure he still has his FFL), the one that took over his old building.) The one time I was in there, they seemed well stocked, though way high on price.

Me, I'm not too worried. I've got my G19, not too anxious to get another Glock soon.

This is very true. I went to Bullet Stop in Rockford, as well as MC Sports and both of them had the 26. For the 100 dollar mark up.

I haven't been to the shop in Forreston in quite awhile. I live right in town in Freeport so I don't get out that way too often. I may have to give them a call. Steve Gahm out of Pearl City had the best price at 505 + tax, but he's out of stock with no info on when more will come.

Same with the gun shop in Freeport. Out of stock with no time table on when/if more will come.

$599 plus tax is the Rockford, in stock price.