Glock 26 recoil springs sure break a lot

The little plastic ring (located toward the smaller inner spring) that holds the large spring onto the rod has broken on two different G26 recoil springs (both recoil springs had less than 400 rounds). This piece of flimsy plastic holds the large spring in place (preventing it from overlapping the smaller spring). Anyone else having this problem with their G26 or G27 recoil springs? Glock replaced mine for free, but it is becoming a hassle!

I took a picture from an internet site and drew a red arrow of where my spring is breaking using Photoshop 5.5. I can email the picture to people if they don't know the part I am talking about. I don't know how to post pictures that I modified (since using the command won't work in that case).

[Edited by Quantum Singularity on 02-20-2001 at 12:26 AM]

IanS

Quantum,

I've just passed the 2,000 mark with my stock G27 with no problems. All factory loads 155,165, and some 180 grains. I'm sure you'll find plenty of other G26/G27 shooters here and at GlockTalk who have put even more without any problems. Maybe a bad batch of springs? Don't give up on that G26. Good luck.

Ian11,

A person at Glocktalk just responded and said to buy only after market recoil spring assemblies to avoid this problem. What is your opinion (should I get the aftermarket)?

Zak Smith

To solve this once and for all..

Go to http://www.gunsprings.com and get a Wolff replacement spring and rod set for your Glock 26. This is not a captured rod setup, but is still easy to strip down. It's made of steel instead of plastic and works great.

I recommend starting off with the "stock" spring weight, but you can get heavier springs from Wolff, which is what I did with my Glock 27.

-z

Brasso

I second the Wolfe non-captured recoil assembly. This is almost a must on a Glock. I know some people think they are perfect like their born, but I've seen too many stock recoil rods break to trust anything but the all steel wolfe setup. Besides, they look cool. Same thing with the sights. The stock plastic ones have a bad habit of falling off. Gotta have the steel trijicons.

Hutch

Well, heckanddarn, it just happened on my G26, which has fewer than 250 rounds. I was just pondering what to do, when I found this thread.

Actually guys, my G26 recoil spring has held up fine for over 6,000 rounds but it did make me remember that Glock had indicated there was a problem with their recoil springs breaking and that in order to keep their customers happy they were giving me this shiny new recoil spring since their records indicated I owned a G26. They also indicated a serial number range for the problem but I don't remember it.

In my case, I didn't need the extra recoil spring but replaced it anyway. It sounds like you may be running up against the same problem that Glock was writing about.

The replacement spring should solve your problem. Have any of you managed to break the replacement spring?

RON in PA

Glock 26s and 27s of a recent vintage(1999-2000) had recoil spring problems. Glock replaces them at no cost. Unfortuately I can't remember the serial range. Contact Glock.

Glock 26s and 27s of a recent vintage(1999-2000) had recoil spring problems. Glock replaces them at no cost. Unfortuately I can't remember the serial range. Contact Glock.

Yes, I know they replace them. They replaced mine before. The replacement broke in the same spot! As I said, two of these recoil springs have broke on me in the same spot which have me stratching my head. I am on my third spring (which hasn't been shot yet---I just got it). I am 100 percent sure that I am going to get the metal wolf rod and spring to avoid this (potential/possible) design flaw again.........

krept

FYI... I believer that glockmeister.com has a captured stainless assembly. Someone on Glocktalk said that it has a hexscrew in it so you can change the recoil springs at will.
Personally, I prefer the captured assemblies on the subcompact Glocks...

Amelia

Not the broken one but:

G26recoil.gif

dvc

Just buy a Wolff two piece unit and forget about it. Glock's recoil spring assembly is poorly designed and inferior.

"What#?$ Aftermarket parts? Aren't Glock's supposed to be the pinnacle of perfection?"

Yes, but that stock part sucks!

pax

Sheesh, if I've got to go by aftermarket parts in order to make my gun work, I might as well have gone with a 1911.

pax, chuckling evilly.

Do not needlessly endanger your lives until I give you the signal. -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

IanS

Quantum,

A lot of people use aftermarket springs (particularly in .40) and seem to be very happy with them. Personally, I like to keep mine stock due to my personality and to avoid voiding my warranty. The only aftermaket part I'll consider are nightsights.

But after 2 incidents, aftermarket springs might be a good idea for you. Wolff aftermarket springs seem to be a popular choice among Glockers and thats the brand I'd get if something were to happen to my G27.

I'd still try to confront Glock and see if they've resolved this "problem".

viper

I find all this deeply troubling. Are you guys saying that Glock poorly designed a part, and has not fixed the defect? Am I hearing this correctly?

krept

Glocks ARE perfect... there IS no defect...

Do NOT wear the aluminum hats...

Your getting slEEEEPY... all is good

Canine

Count me in.....mine broke too

Checked my G26 recoil spring assembly today, same piece broke off. Its been fired 300 rounds approximately. The little plastic rim is broke on mine and the outer spring is now on top of the inner spring. Glock will replace the recoil spring free of charge. I don't think this is any thing to worry about, but I am going to be safe and also get a metal spring assembly.

Viper: I think this is just a minor (and rare) event. I bet that 99.9999999 % of Glock 26's will never encounter this problem. I got stuck with one that did. :(