Glock 24 C Barrel Question

jtmckinney

I bought a used Glock 24 C this week. Interesting gun, my first Glock. It will be a range toy and maybe see some use as a sidearm when hog hunting. Going to take it to the range later today and try it out.

I am thinking about getting a non ported barrel for it. I have an add in the "Gear and Accesories" section, we'll see if anything turns up there. I also have been looking at the aftermarket new barrels. Jarvis has the best deal I have found so far for $210.

Barrels advertise as fully suporting the case. I guess this is related to the famous "Glock Bulge". My question is to those who have installed these barrels and did they cause any feeding problems. I always thought the unsuported area was engineered to assist feeding and if you support this area maybe you could introduce some feeding problems.

Anyone with actual experience on this please reply.

Thanks!
James

Daryl

I haven't heard many problems with feeding from fully supported, aftermarket barrels. Most are pretty good.

I once had an early G20 with a chamber that wasn't fully supported, and had no trouble with it. As a note, I know have a new G23, and the barrel appears fully supported. Nothing like I remember from the early G20.

Perhaps Glock has addressed the issue of unsupported chambers? Either way, most aftermarket barrels are reported to be pretty good.

Trigger Finger

I have several Lone Wolf barrels for my G22 and 27 and they all work very good. My 6inch G22 barrel is compensated in 40cal and no complaints!

jtmckinney

Range Report

Man was it hot! Hard to shoot with sweat running down you glasses.

Shot 100 rounds Walmart whit box 165 gr FMJ. Had only one FTF on the last round in magazine. I'm not sure the round before it wasn't weak because all I had to get it to feed was pull the slide all the way beck and release.

Didn't put out the effort to load a magazine to max, I'll try that next trip.

When I was on target so was the gun. Only shot at 17 yards range. Zero for me was 2 inches high so I might leave the sights alone. I'll need to get to my reloads to know.

good first impression.
James

COSteve

I converted my G22 to a G24 by replacing the upper with a custom Lone Wolf G24 slide and barrel. I ordered my slide special without the normal Glock slide cutout as I don't like the look at all. Anyway, it's obviously not compensated and it works great.

There's absolutely no need to compensate a 40, especially when shooting with a 6" slide. You loose effective barrel length performance, make a bunch of loud noise, flash up the front end, and throw powder and residue into a big cloud. You'll like the std barrel much better and you'll not have to worry about any bright flashes if you fire at dusk.

My custom G24.

DSCN0081.jpg

jtmckinney

COSteve, cool looking gun!

One of the things I am looking to compare is the difference in the ported to the non-ported barrel. Flash and noise wasn't a problem today, the guy next to me was shooting a Taurus 44MAG 4 inch barrel compensated to the side. Got to practice my non-flinching (I need more practice). Actually a good guy, he appoligized for the report but hey, this is a public range.

Wife has plans for me so I will do a strip and clean tomorrow.

Have a great weekend!
James

bearone2

i've got a 40 to 9 lonewolf that's supposedly made in korea.

knowledgeable folks say if you use decent store bought ammo, shouldn't have any problems.:cool:

jtmckinney

Store Baught Ammo!!!

I am not sure how much store bought ammo this gun will see from now on.

I will inspect the recovered brass tomorrow with my calipers and magnify visor. When I reload, I will start with a reduce load and work up if I want more power. I am concerned with how much darkening of the outside of the brass and how far toward the case head it goes.

Also my next toy is a chronogaph. I know I will be working with two totally different barrels for this gun but maybe there will be something to be learned.

Good Night,
James

jtmckinney

Brass was swelled

Brass had a noticable swelling above the case head and a couple showed a small anoumt of extra swelling probably where the feed ramp is. I am not surprized. When the barrel is out of the gun and I drop a cartridge in there is more play than I would expect .010 inches. I am new to centerfire pistols and wasn't sure if this just wasn't the way they are made. The number on the barrel matches the numbers on the rest of the gun and box and there wasn't any evidence of damage to slide so I do not think it is a real problem unless I start putting some hotter reloads through. If I reload for this gun I will keep this in consideration.

Been a lot of post about this (Glock bulge) and I wonder if I have an earlier Glock. I think they came out with the 24 in 1994 if one review about this gun was correct and this gun though in great shape could be that old.

I might try a new manufactured barrel, I found one for less that $200 delivered but haven't decided yet. This is deffinately a fun gun to shoot but maybe not one to push in the power of load's to make it do something it is not.

I actually think this is fun!
James