Glock 23

Pico

I think I am going to go ahead and get a Glock for home defense. So before I glug the Kool Aid, please share thoughts regarding the 23.

Thanks,
Pico

golfnutrlv

Good gun, extremely reliable of course. I have shot one, good feeling gun.

You really can't go wrong. Note that I like to say Glocks are not for everybody. The grip angle is "different" if you are used to 1911's or similar.

Great choice.

If you want another, try the Smith and Wesson M&P 40 in Full size, or Compact. These are supreme guns, reliable, easy and fun to shoot. I have about 9000 rounds through my M&P 9mm with no issues at all!!

Check them out here: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=27806&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15711&isFirearm=Y

Pico

Thanks

I've always been cool about Glocks and the .40 in general. I shot a couple of them and they are fine and all but I never wanted to own one. Now it looks like I can't find anything but .40 in the stores plus I am more into CCW now so it looks like a good fit all of a sudden.

Plus I like the thought of buying LWD barrels to convert to 9 mil and .357 sig.

Pico

Ricky

Glock

I've got a model 22 (bigger than a 23) I've had it for 12+ years. It's a great gun. I took it out today and shot it along with my new Colt Commander .45. I posted a range report if you want to check it out. My Glock ain't as perty as my Colt but if I were going into battle, I'd take the Glock.

jeffreybehr

I own one and carry it always. Mine's a 1st-generation model without thumbrests, finger grooves, or tactical rail.

I use in all 4 of my magazines Pierce extenders that make the grip tall enough for all my fingers, and I've filed a little bit of material from the entrance to the triggerguard, visible in this pic...
23_30Oct09_800w.jpg

...so that it fits my hand a little better.

I've developed high-performance PD reloads with the excellent Hornady 155g. XTP, and I practice often with those full-power loads.

The more I shoot it, the more I like it.

BTW, if the grip angle of the Glock pistols is different than that of most 1911s, maybe that's why I don't much like the fit of 1911s. My 23 and 35 fit me VERY well, and I manage to shoot them well, too.

GregM

Pico, I carried a 23 for several years as my duty weapon, and loved it. I had a M3 light mounted on mine and carried in a Safariland hooded holster. I never failed to qualify 100% twice a year every year with it. Shop around and you can find one for $400 or so lightly used. I prefer the later model with the finger grooves and rail personally. Recoil is a little snappy, and my wife refused to shoot it after one outing, but I never noticed it.

GregM

bakon

My entire dept has used them for about 18 years. Great gun.Got a 27 (slightly smaller 40) for off duty. No major problems with thousands of rounds through the first and second generations of them. They will have FTF with weak hand if you dont have a good grip. But all autos will do that.

Terry A

It's such a perfect gun for self defense....very good caliber, high capacity, compact, affordable, rugged like a tank, easy to maintain, shoots any ammo well. I love mine.
I can't plug them enough.

jtc2162

I'll share a few pics of mine that I took the week I got it. The .40 is a snappy cartridge, but I don't think recoil is that bad. I use the speer 165 grain jhp rounds which pack about 500 ft/# of energy for SD. I've got some 700 rounds through it and I'm getting better and better with each outing (my first handgun).

4032948365_b98f899348.jpg

4033701544_b2530f340b.jpg

4032948145_1318e9bbbb.jpg

Night sights working
4033702608_be1b6efc74.jpg

Blade Tech II Holster
4032950265_15e4aca111.jpg

4032949419_f04d29d539_o.jpg

Few more here
Glock 23 - a set on Flickr

jglsprings

There always has to be one in the crowd.....

If you can find a place to rent them try a side by side comparision of the G23 and the G27......

I have both and like the smaller G27 better. I shoot it better and if you are looking for a CC gun it conceals a bit better..... Both are good guns, find out which on you shoot/like better....

Oldjarhead

I have carried my Glock m23 for ten years as an LEO. It is perfect for uniform or PC carry. Once I learned how to use the "reset" on the trigger, my qualification scores went up. I have put about three thousand factory rounds through it. Not one single malfunction. It's light and easy to clean and take down. The snappy recoil is the only thing that may surprise you, but it is manageable. Works for me.

Deaf Smith

If you get a 23, or Glock 32 (.357 Sig) you can't go wrong.

You can get an AACK .22 lr unit and covert it to a .22 in about 30 seconds.

You can get a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel and some Glock 9mm mags and have a 9mm practice gun.

You can get a Glock OEM barrel in the 'other' cartridge (that is, if you have a .40 S&W get it in .357 Sig, or vice versa.)

Yes that's 4 guns in one.

If another ammo shortage shows up, no bigge. You should be able to find a box or two of any of those rounds.

Yes I have a 23... and a 32.. and a 19. And soon a AACK unit for my Glock 26.

I can say from shooting well over 100,000 rounds from Glocks they do work very very well and it will be difficult for you to wear it out.

randyc74

I've carried a 2nd generation Glock 23 since 1997. I also have the LWD 40/9 conversion barrel. I have a couple of 9mm 32 round magazines.
Why waltz when you can rock and roll?:)

Rich Miranda

The Glock 23 is extremely reliable, durable, easy to use, etc. ad nauseum. It's the Toyota of handguns.

My gripes with all Glocks:

1) the complete absence of ergonomics. It feels like you're holding a 2x4. The Hogue overmold may help, but I'm not sure how much.

2) The trigger has little ridges on it that irritate my (sensitive, little, girly) trigger finger. It may improve over time but I didn't want to have to wait to find out.

But there are many Glock fans and everyone is different, so you may find that you have no gripes at all. And, yes, I was kidding about my trigger finger.

Ticman

2) The trigger has little ridges on it that irritate my (sensitive, little, girly) trigger finger. It may improve over time but I didn't want to have to wait to find out.

Install a smooth trigger. The G22 trigger bar works perfectly. I have a smooth trigger in my G23. I didn't like the "target" trigger either.

PackingA40

I owned a Glock 23 and loved it, I use to rave about the Glock 23. I took so many hits from my co workers on loving this gun. Then I rented and shot an M & P, WOW...did I say wow, I sold my G 23 and purchased the M & P. It feels better in my hand, I am actual holding the gun now instead of it holding me, the grip angle is mush more natural and relaxed and I am now shooting the hang nails off of flees at 30 yards. I will never go back. Shoot the M & P first and see for yourself.