Glock 23 problem

TeeItUpCMB04

I have an older (1st gen. I think) G23 that was given to me by my father the day I got CWP. It was his duty gun when he was a SC Game warden. He put at least 500 rounds through it before I got it and I am was approaching about 500 myself (so almost 1000 total) all without one failure whatsoever.

Then last week, about 20 rds into my little shooting session I pull the trigger and "click." After I wait a few seconds I clear the round and look at it. Tiny little dent in the primer. Since that (about 150 rds) I have had 4-5 of these light pirmer strikes and can't figure out what is wrong. I have always kept it clean and taken care of it.

This is quite troublng in a gun I carry quite often. It goes to the local gun-smith on Monday but I was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas...

jhenry

The first thing I would do is to strip the internals out of the slide and examine the firing pin for any damage, and make sure there is not any build up of crud that may be hindering full forward movement. Also check the extractor. If the extractor is not holding the cartridge with proper tension a light primer strike could occur.

Homerboy

Wait a minute! I thought Glocks were able to be thrown out of a plane, frozen in ice, dunked in mud, and run over by a Humvee and still work! So yours crapped out at 1000 rounds? You MUST be limpwristing or doing something wrog! Everyone knows Gaston created the best semi auto ever invented!

roman3

Glock with a problem, I don't think so clearly user error.

GLOCKTEN.jpg

Oldjarhead

Could this be ammo related? I have heard, seen, and experienced your problem with Federal ammo. They apparently have a history of very hard primers. Change to a different brand of ammo. If it still does it, then it probably is a mechanical problem. Good luck.

goodspeed(TPF)

Many "old timers" feel the need to LUBE the firing pin and or use "spray can" lube and get it ALL over the place. You probably just have a build up of CRUD/GUNK/JUJU in your firing pin channel. Disassemble it and clean it out. Make sure it remains DRY with NO lube afterward. You are much better off NOT EVER lubing your Glock EVER as opposed to OVER LUBRICATING it. I hope this helps. If you need help in disassembly/parts identification let me know. Dunno iffin it matters here but I am a certified Glock Armorer. Good luck and keep us posted. -Goodspeed

qwert.380

jhenrey hit the nail on the head. my brother has a 23 and after a range session he cleand it and when he did he got a large amount of grease in the firing pin channel causing light primer strikes.

evan1293

I would suspect, as others have mentioned, that its crud that's built up in the striker channel. As a precaution, I would also replace the striker spring.

Try several different types of ammo before worrying about the internals. After that, look to the gunand strip the internals for a good cleaning. 1st gen glock would be one without a tac. rail or finger grooves on the grip.

roklok

We were taught at the academy to depress the firing pin block plunger with finger and shake the slide each time the glock was cleaned. This insures that the striker is not "gunked up". If the striker is not audibly sliding back and forth in channel, there may be debris slowing striker. Also, like others have said, use no lube on striker. I would definitely check this before I would go to the expense and bother of trying different ammo.

+1 roklok,
I don't know where my head was at. Long night at work. Giving it a good clean would obviously be the easiest fix before testing it any more. If that doesn't work, then switch ammo. Sorry about the brain fart.