Glock 23 for $398 vs Smith SD40 for $299

PTS1

Looking for a good reliable home defense pistol. I have found the two very good deals listed above from reputable dealers on the net. I am very familiar with a glock 22 and while I like most everything about it, the grip is a bit large for me. I have not handled the sd40 but from what I have read, seems to feel good to all who have handled it. I believe the take-down procedure for the sd40 is the same as the glock, so this is the main reason I am considering it. With the price difference, I could add a light or laser to the sd40 which already comes with a tritium front sight. The only store around that sells firearms is Wolly World so I can not handle them unless I travel 150 miles to the nearest dealer. Thoughts?

BeachHead

My shooting buddy has a .40 S&W Sigma. Although they look similar, I'm not sure how the Sigma and SD40 differ. Maybe someone can school me on that. With that being said, I put 3 mags through the gun and didn't care for the long, heavy trigger pull (12 lbs?). At best, I was a decent shot at 10 yd. Practice, of course would probably change that.

On the other hand, I've got a Glock 35 and it's now my go-to gun, even when compared to my .40 P226. I have small-ish hands and the grip circumference doesn't bother me. The Glock just works for ME.

I'm sure the Smith is a fine handgun. In fact I've read that (the Sigma series at least) is built like a tank and pretty darn reliable, but IMO Glock makes a better pistol. "Better" of course is usually, and in this case, purely subjective. An SD40 owner might weigh in and say otherwise. I'm a Glock fanboy, so I say the G23, hands down.

chadk7

There is a package deal with the smith. It comes with a light to put on the gun and one of those little safes and maybe a few more things. I have seen them for $400. From what I read the trigger is somewhat better than the sigma but still pretty heavy. I don't think you really want too much lighter of a trigger on a gun that you are using for self defense anyways. Especially if it has no external safety like the SD.

I'm sure either would work just fine for you. If it was me I would get the smith cause you can get all that extra stuff with it for pretty much the same price as the glock. Then again I'm not a glock kinda guy either. Good luck

kingkeoni

The Sigma is a ripoff umm I mean copy of the Glock.
The SD40 is the result of the lawsuit filed as a result of the ripoff.

Why buy a copy of a copy when you can buy the real thing.

Glock has proven itself worldwide as a reliable, accurate and low maintenance pistol.

If given the choice between the two you've listed, I would definitely select the Glock.

bdb benzino

The Sigma is a ripoff umm I mean copy of the Glock.
The SD40 is the result of the lawsuit filed as a result of the ripoff.

Not true at all!! The lawsuite was a long time ago, and they paid what was determined and kept selling the Sigma cuz it worked and sold! The SD has the same operating system but has some really nice upgrades. I think that S&W will eventually phase out the Sigma to get rid of its stigma!

My SD's trigger is worlds better than my buddies Sigma or the Sigma I had years ago. Both the SD amd Sigma are going to be reliable as the design is already proven.

The big thing here is pick what feels the best in YOUR hand! People are only going to suggest what they like. I have had 2 Glocks and I really like my new SD 9 and trust it just as much. YMMV.

BerettaBuckeye

kingkeoni said:
The SD40 is the result of the lawsuit filed as a result of the ripoff

C'mon, admit it....you made that up. The whole lawsuit thing took place what....15 years?....before the first SD hit the streets. And the Sigma carried on all that time. Geez.

PTS1, if you find the ergos agreeable the Glock is a well proven design with plenty of aftermarket support. Also magazine are readily available and relatively cheap.

The SD40 is also a good pistol from all reports and it's a S&W so there's no real downside there either. Pick one, practice with it and enjoy

mes228

Glock

That REALLY is a great deal on a Glock Model 23. In my opinion the Model 23 loaded with Model 22 mags and a plastic "collar" to fill the gap. Is in the top 99.99% of the finest carry/self defense firearms ever produced. A sixteen round .40 caliber in a 9mm package. If you post the location of that deal I might be interested in buying another.

vyse.04

mess228: This is where the have that price. http://www.gtdist.com/ Only catch is you have to be a LEO to get it at that price.

There are some good deals on that site. Buds also has LEO pricing on an assortment of firearms, but I don't think Glock is one of them. Either way, at that price I'd say go for the Glock. My LGS is an LEO vendor for Glock, but even then I think they run around $40 more.

Quentin2

That REALLY is a great deal on a Glock Model 23. In my opinion the Model 23 loaded with Model 22 mags and a plastic "collar" to fill the gap. Is in the top 99.99% of the finest carry/self defense firearms ever produced. A sixteen round .40 caliber in a 9mm package. If you post the location of that deal I might be interested in buying another.

I have to agree with mes228, pay a little more and get the G23. It's by far the better gun and at a bargain price. I love the LE trade in G22 I recently bought and want to add a 23 as a companion. Using the collar 15rd mags should work very well in a 23.

I like the SD40 alot, but I also can't stand the thought of walking into a store and buying a glock.

SD40 VS Sigma VE series; The SD has a
lighter and cleaner trigger
thinner slide and frame
same capacity
better set of sights, the front is tridium
full chamber support as with the sigma
few MIM parts, the older sigma F and VEs have none
and the SD has a slightly more comfortable grip

Onward Allusion

PTS1
Glock 23 for $398 vs Smith SD40 for $299
Looking for a good reliable home defense pistol. I have found the two very good deals listed above from reputable dealers on the net. I am very familiar with a glock 22 and while I like most everything about it, the grip is a bit large for me. I have not handled the sd40 but from what I have read, seems to feel good to all who have handled it. I believe the take-down procedure for the sd40 is the same as the glock, so this is the main reason I am considering it. With the price difference, I could add a light or laser to the sd40 which already comes with a tritium front sight. The only store around that sells firearms is Wolly World so I can not handle them unless I travel 150 miles to the nearest dealer. Thoughts?

For HD, I prefer the heavier trigger. So, I would go with a SD for SD. :)

Both prices are fair prices. Neither are prices to do back flips over. Also, which generation is the Glock 23? If it's 2nd, then it's overpriced. I mean this merchant on GB

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=230671625

has 'em for $369 and that's with night sights. Even if factor in shipping and transfer fee, it'll be around $415 in your hands.

PTS1

Onward: That is a good deal, however, those are police trade-ins and it says you may not get the one in the picture. May get one that was only shot to qualify or you may get one that has 20,000 rounds down the pipe from someone who practiced alot. I may be wrong, but for a home defense/carry gun, I think buying a new one is the way to go.

Smaug

Smith has a better grip, Glock has a better trigger.

I wouldn't get either.

"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

mrray13

I own a VE, and a 23. I have owned several other Glocks, and handled the SD. The SD does have a lighter trigger then the VE, although with a little practice, the VE trigger isn't really that bad. My wife has laid claim to the Sigma, and it's her nightstand gun. Loaded up with 165g Rangers, and a spare mag right next to it, she shoots the VE very well, and it has yet to have any kind of malfunction through 1k rounds or so. It is far more ergonomic for smaller hands IMO.

The SD feels a lot like the VE, and as such, would make a great SD gun for the price. In reality, IMHO, it's the slightly better firearm as it has a fully supported chamber and the rifling doesn't mind lead. The heavier trigger pull is akin to a DAO, and offers a bit of safety against an AD from the lighter trigger pull.

I like my 23 as well. But other then after market support, I don't see any real advantages of the 23 over the Sigma/SD. Maybe it's a bit easier to conceal, but that's about it. It will do it's job, and do it well, but in no way is it just flat out better then the Sigma VE/SD IMHO.

Onward Allusion

PTS1
Onward: That is a good deal, however, those are police trade-ins and it says you may not get the one in the picture. May get one that was only shot to qualify or you may get one that has 20,000 rounds down the pipe from someone who practiced alot. I may be wrong, but for a home defense/carry gun, I think buying a new one is the way to go.

Whoa! I didn't realize that the Glock was brand new! Get the Glock 23!!! That is a very good deal!