Glock 23 custom parts, what do I need?

Dead-Nuts-Zero

I have a new Glock 23 .40 S&W. Shooting semi-auto is very new to me. At this point, it seems to be a bit more gun than I can enjoy shooting. However, I have lots to learn and much to practice.

I am thinking about some custom parts to help me out. I see that there are many mods for a Glock (one of my reasons for getting a Glock) and maybe a lighter pull and a recoil spring change would be a good place to start.

At this point, this is for casual target shooting and I realize that there are some issues with doing mods on such a firearm if I decide to cary it as a defence piece.

I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions?

:)

45 Fu

Since you are new to autos I would not do anything to the trigger. Almost any auto's trigger will take some getting used to and, other than single action pistols, the Glock's trigger is about the easiest to learn. I would spend some real time on it before changing it - the more time you spend on it will confirm what either needs/doesn't need done.

The only modification that I would do at this time would be to replace the stock recoil spring guide/recoil spring with a steel or tungsten guide rod to add a little weight up front, thus helping controlability during recoil. This would mean you would have to also put in a new recoil spring. However, I would replace it with a spring of the same rating as the one you removed, unless you intend to reload and/or shoot lighter target loads or hotter loads where a lighter/heavier spring is called for. If you're shooting off-the-shelf stuff you may have reliability problems if you change spring weights.

Just give it a little time and see how things work out before you change anything. You may end up changing things or you could decide you do not like it at all and move to another pistol. If you decide to trade you will have saved some money. If you decide to stick with the Glock you will be more confident the changes are what you need and will, most likely, not regret having made them.

krept

how about a .22LR conversion unit... you can use the same frame, shoot all day with it for cheap, get used to the trigger and how it points, etc.

Willham223

Why don't you take the money that you were going to spend on mods and invest in some extra ammo or even a practical pistol class. Your going to get a lot more for your money that way.

The only mods I make to my glocks are houge slip on grips and a set of night sights.

Dead-Nuts-Zero

I see a few replies with many different suggestions. This is just what I am looking for. Keep them comming.

I have plenty of training and experience with wheel guns and I shoot quite well with them. A Glock (semi-auto in larger cal.) is what is new to me. I am interested in mastering targets like in a shooting gallery. Rapid and varied targets is the style I have hoped to shoot with the Glock. Shooting like this just for fun and to sharpen my shooting skills, not competition shooting. I hope I explained what I am trying to say but let me add to it a little. ... Take a hand full of beer cans (empty) and toss them along the backstop at many different levels, angles and heights, they quickly plink them till they fly to another location and hit them again etc. Add in some plates and steel dingers here and there. Like a backyard wild west show with a Glock.

I am used to light triggers, smooth and crisp actions and compensated barrels etc. so I don't see too much concern as it (Glock) is much like shooting a double action revolver.

I like the .22 conversion idea but I have a gun to do that with. It would assist with learning the trigger, but not much in the recoil dept. to master like I would have with a center fire. I want to master a larger cal.

I do have the night sights and I am not so sure I am in love with them just yet. This gun is new to me and I have plenty of fun yet to master. Just thought I would someday tinker with it just a little bit based on some of your great comments.

Again, thanks for all of the ideas and keep sending!

krept

OK just to make sure you understand the Glock platform...

a) you're choking up on the frame as muuuch as you possibly can. I mean way way up to the point you think you're going to get hit by the slide...

and

b) after each shot, you're sloooooowly letting up pressure on the trigger until you hear and feel the "click" at which point you're good to bang again.

right?

IMO.. with the polymer frame and the high bore axis the glock is an easy shooter for its weight. The quick reset makes the clunky trigger pull not as bad.

cheers

cookhj

the only thing i did to mine was put a bigger slide release on. i can't stand the stock slide release on glocks.

cratz2

The only two mods I've done to either of my Glocks is to have a Ghost Rocket fitted and put a plug in the hole behind the magwell.

The plug should be self explanatory while the Ghost Rocket makes the trigger have a shorter reset and a slightly lighter pull. I could easily live with the factory trigger setup, but I absolutely prefer the Ghost Rocket.

Labuyo

IMO.. with the polymer frame and the high bore axis the glock is an easy shooter for its weight. The quick reset makes the clunky trigger pull not as bad.
You meant to say, low bore axis right? :confused:

BTT, Scherer 3.5lb connector, a butthole plug and a good pair of metal sights(tritium or not) is all I'de change.
The G23 has the best power to size ratio Glock has ever put out, IMO. I'm still kicking myself for selling mine. Congrats!

Rob96

Glocks come ready , right from the box. It doesn't need any changes. A lot of problems actually with Glocks are actually related to "custom" changes. I would take the above mentioned advice of using the money for amo, mags, good carry rig, training.

Editied to add

The only thing I would change is the sights. Get some good Trijicons.

Erik

"Glock 23 custom parts, what do I need?"

Nothing but instruction, dry fire practice, ammo, and range time.

Edward429451

Heres my opinion.
You're going about it wrong. Don't ask people what you should do to your gun. Ask yourself what you need to do to it. You don't know because you're asking! So don't do anything to it right now and go shoot it a bunch and let the question answer itself to you. Then you'll have it right as to the mod and then you can ask for advice on which brand for the specific mod that you need, is the best.

You may find out that you don't even need anything for it and save some money for more ammo. Thats what I did when I got my Glock. Okay, I slipped once and bought a laser (dang gunrags) but no gizmos were required for it to fill my needs. I put nite sites on it and bought it a holster is all. I got used to the trigger over time and (on good days) can do very good work with the short reset that it has. I like it as is. I used to have a G23 and its the same deal, good gun. It's just snappy in the way it cycles compared to the bigger ones and takes a little getting used to. Have fun.

Edited to add: Don't clean the gold lube out of the slide for 800 to 1000 rounds is what I was told.

HSMITH

I put a good set of steel sights on my Glocks, they happen to be Meprolight night sights but any good set of steel sights would work. I put a buttplug in it, $6 off fleabay and I couldn't resist buying it more than a felt need to keep junk out of the gun. I have fairly small hands and wanted an extended mag release, so I put one on mine. I tested it in my holsters and DID have to relieve them to prevent accidental mag release in two holsters, so keep that in mind if you get an extended mag release. The last and only other mod I need or condone on a Glock is some sort of traction material on the grip. With wet/sweaty/oily/bloody/dirty/whatever hands the grip can get quite slick. While this doesn't bother me with the 9mm guns I find my 40 shifting in my hand, so I use additional materials to make the grip more secure. There are a hundred ways to do it, so try to get as many as you can in your hand to find the right one for you.

Other than the above all I think you need is ammo and trigger time, it works for me.

Hand_Rifle_Guy

You can probably ignore the night-sights as regular three-dots until you need to grab your gun in the dark. Then they're like magical little landing lights that unerringly guide your hand to RIGHT wher the gun is-no fumbling in the dark, knocking it off the nightstand, etc.

Dark enough to REQUIRE the night-sights to align the gun to the target is dark enough to make target identification difficult even at just a few feet of range. ID-ing the target's pretty important before you pull the trigger, so don't over-emphasize the need for them.

Glocks ARE pretty good right out of the box in my experience. They don't NEED a great deal of improvement, usually. The trigger mods folks are mentioning DO work well, but that's a judgement call for you. I put a 3.5 # disconnector in my G-32 right after I got it, and I couldn't be happier, and my gun had a darn smooth trigger to begin with. But now, it's Target-Grade-extra-smooth.

Loud seconds on the .22 conversion kit. Worth every penny, and Cieners or Marbles units can have phenominal accuracy. They often out-shoot the base gun.

Couple things to do to address the felt-recoil issue: Run lighter ammo. .40's go down to 135 grains. 150's and 165'as are easy to get, and that can make a big difference compared to a 180 or 200.

You could also get a .357 Siggy drop-in barrel. l bought my 32 because I found a stock .40-cal. barrel that was the right length for no money. BIG difference in recoil feel. Lotsa fun, also.

They might have a LONG trigger like a DA revolver, but they certainly don't have 10-12 lb.s of draw-weight. Less positive index-feel, too. No cylinder flywheeling about. Just something to bear in mind and not get complacent/cavalier about.

Putting some mileage on the gun'll go a long way towards getting rid of awkward-ish feeling. However...

Do not, DO NOT, DO NOT! RUN UN-JACKETED LEAD BULLETS THROUGH A STOCK BARREL WITH POLYGONAL RIFLING!!

I'm yelling on account of no-one's said it yet. Reloads you can run...

But NO un-jacketed soft lead bullets! Otherwise, the polygonal rifling will get coated thickly with lead-fouling, resulting in a pressure spike and potentialy a split barrel! :eek: We're having none of THAT nonsense.

Besides, it's a social faux-pas to date bullets without jackets. Eet vould prove moozt eem-bahratzing, yah? ;)