Glock 21 after market barrels

Red_Eagle

Which after market barrels can you shoot hand loads out of? I just got a Lone wolf and the chamber is so tight I had to polish it with steel wool just to accept factory loads. It won't go into full batery with any of my hand loads, even after I put them through the LFC die twice.:mad: Would a Storm Lake work?

jepp2

You can return your barrel to Lone Wolf and they will enlarge the chamber for you (no charge I believe). If factory rounds will not chamber, it sounds too tight. Typically factory rounds are under the SAAMI specs, to allow them to chamber and fire in the wide range of firearms they might be used.

I have several Lone Wolf barrels and all have been just fine concerning my ammo functioning properly in them, without modification.

Do you have a cartridge gauge? They can be very useful in troubleshooting and checking. A chamber will work, but in your case, a comparison would be helpful.

Lemmon

Thanks for alerting me Red Eagle

Thanks for alerting me Red Eagle of your problem. I purchased a Lone Wolf Glock 21 barrel recently and have not shot it yet. I will try to test it our right away to see if it has the same problem. I had planned on using 200gr SWC handloads in it.

I have used Lone Wolf barrels before with out problems..... Lemmon

steeps09

I just got a Lone Wolf Stainless for my 4th gen glock 22 because I started to get into reloading recently and wanted to shoot lead. I have shot both my reloads and factory rounds out of it without much problem. I will say that the chamber was a little snug, but to to tight. This is what I wanted though, because I didn't want to ruin anymore brass because of the lack of support glock factory barrels have for rounds chambered. I have a buddy with a storm lake stainless in his glock 22 and swears, loves it and has never had any problems and he shoots whatvever goes bang out of it.

Shoney

I would question your information which dictates that an aftermarket barrel is needed to shoot reloads or lead in Glock pistol barrels. The URBAN MYTH of "you can't shoot lead in Glocks" rears it ugly head again.

Almost all hand gun manufacturers, not just Glock, put language in their literature that shooting reloads in their weapons will void their guarantee/warrantee.
Read
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309351&page=2
This is page 2 of the thread, and you may wish to read the whole thread.

Another thread to read is
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346626&highlight=urban

Red_Eagle

I think I fixed it.

Pretty sure I fixed it. A little bit of polishing with steel wool on a drill and it started accepting factory rounds.
For hand loads, I took the small demel polishing wheels with some polishing compond and slowly opened the chamber up. Works 100% with PRN. In this case 230 gr X-treme plated. Was still having trouble with Hornady 230gr XTPs. Opened it up a little more. I'd say it's about 98% reliable at this point. I should point out these functed fine in my Wilson CQB and my Springfield Loaded. I still went ahead and ordered a barrel from KKM. I don't trust the Lone Wolf completly and I sure can't use the Glock factory barrel. I end up having to throw away about 40%-60% of all the cases fired through it.
However, I recieved my Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock 17 today, and it appears to be excellent. Cycled all my hand loads beautifully. Of course I found out too late that after market barrels really are not neccessary for the 9mm Glocks. I shot some Hornady 124gr XTPs loaded to thier full potential out of it on Sunday. No creases of bulges at all. :)

warningshot

Gentlemen! Hear this load & clear...

Do not shoot cast bullets thru your stock Glocks...not even one...that's right...not even one. This warning and manufactors WARNING(s) have nothing to do with prejudice against home reloads...Don't shoot cast bullets thru stock Glock barrels.

Go to the Glock forums and they will give you the techical info, but you tell them you read it hear first...no cast bullets thru a stock Glock.

Yes, you sir, in the back row...you have a question?

Red_Eagle

Okay... so what's the trick?

The Lone Wolf is still unreliable. I got the KKM in today. A bullet jammed in the chamber so hard it pulled the bullet when I finally got it to eject :eek:.
Do I need to seat deeper than the manual says? I've been doing 1.230". But that is appearantly to long. How much should I back off a load if I was using 6.0grs of Green Dot for example? I mic'ed the chamber with a dummy round and it looks like I need to use a seating depth of about 1.210". The dummy was hitting rifling at 1.214".

Last edited:

Shoney

For all you shooters of Glocks with aftermarket barrels, just remember that you have flushed your Glock guarantee/warrantee down the toilet by putting the barrel on your pistol. There are a significant number of factory ammo kabooms each year, and if you had one in your aftermarket barrel, good luck getting anything from Glock.

warningshot
If you didn't read my attachments above, perhaps you should read the glowing positive review of shooting lead in Glock barrels in this glocktalk.com thread.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270999&highlight=lead+glock

warningshot wrote: Yes, you sir, in the back row...you have a question?
Yes! I have a question, since you asked for and invited one. If you don't know what the reason is that something shouldn't be done, why are you repeating it as gospel?

Please cite documentation that why shooting lead in Glock barrels is not OK.

Last edited:

chris in va

I'll be more than happy to post a pic of my stock Glock 21 barrel after shooting 100 of my lead reloads through it. Might need sunglasses though, sure is bright and clean.