Glock 20

RandyV

Thinking of a Glock 20 to carry in woods ( live in Alaska ) dont intend to encounter PO'd Bear or Moose. Who does. I realize the 10 mm is marginnal but with a 15 round mag I like my chances. Does this Glock 20 hold up well? Imagine not a pleasure to shoot. Thanks all.

krispijn_s

Buddy of mine has one,

Shot it yesterday. Recoil was surprisingly manageable even with one hand-shooting. Pretty accurate too; considering that that 1 cm round is a beast (shot it with the original intended load). Watch out for Kaboom though..the brass that was extracted looked dented where the chamber wasn't supported. So my guess is that if my bud used that brass again the gun will go kaboom (mostly due to the pretty hot load). I hope this helps a bit. Good luck deciding,

Krispijn

P.S. He threw the brass away.

AndABeer

The G20's recoil is by no means unpleasant. It is accurate and has a great capacity in a great cartridge. My only complaint is the grip size which is a bit chunky for me which is why I dont carry it more. Mine is a "C" model but I have installed an unported barrel as I do not care for the debris coming from the ports blackening my front night sight. As to the kB warning of the previous post, I think it is alarmist. I have never heard of a G20 or G29 kBing. And brass in danger of kBing would be bulged not dented. If it is a great concern for you, buy an after market barrel with a bit more support but I think 10mm brass is plenty strong enough.

CastleBravo

I have and love my Glock 20C...

But agree that Alaska has too many really big and potentially ill-tempered critters to settle for anything less than a .44 Magnum with a decent length barrel. IMO, a Glock 20 with a 6" barrel and Cor-Bon hunting ammo (which will crank up to 800 ft-lbs from the long barrel) is pretty good for anything up to maybe black bears, which are often ~200 lbs depending on the area. At least where I've been they didn't look much bigger than that, though of course a bear is stronger and more dangerous pound for pound than a human. But beyond that I start to get skeptical.

Like I said, my Glock 20C is a great gun. Very accurate and easy to shoot well. For its intended purpose and on its own merits it is first-rate. I have shot full-power ammo and have seen no signs on the brass of bulges at all. Remember, 10mm brass is extremely strong and 10mm kB! are extreeeeemly rare. But Alaska is out of its weight class unless you are only concerned with 2-legged problems. :)

C.B.

jimmy

As far as shooting the G20 is concerned, I expected it to be punishing and hard to control. But it turned out to be surprisingly easy to shoot. FWIW, I enjoy shooting my G20 even more than my G21. :)

vyper005

Had a G20....

but sold it due to high ammo prices,cheapest box of target stuff was $16.50....The gun was very accurate and the recoil wasnt bad at all...They say if you're gonna shoot 10mm you better reload..:)

Old Reb

Agree with others ... the G20 or G29 make a fine woods pistol as I carry both ... that is, in the lower 48. But against a big Alaskan brownie? ... Forgetaboutit! Nothing less than .44 Mag with Garrett Hammerhead loads ... but better still a 5-shot .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .475 or .500 Linebaugh.

viesczy

While as a defensive caliber I think that the 10mm is a great choice, as a woods gun that you might need to call upon to stop a less then benvolent bear's charge, the 10mm might be a bit on the light side.

With that said, I tote my G20 around nearly all winter long and during the summer my G29 is a constant companion, sorta like my shadow! I just dunno if I'd count on them to stop a bear charge.

As far as shootability, either are ***** cats in any loading of 10mm. My G29 is a soft recoiler and the G20 is even softer.

Derek

jtduncan

RandyV:

I just bought a Glock 20 for deer and feral pig hunting.

I hate the cost of factory 10mm ammo at the retail level. Before I got mey reloading dies, I was paying $17 for a box of 10mm ammo. I even found some boxes of Remington 10mm ammo at the range where this crazy guy paid $25 for a box of 50 rounds.

If you shoot 10mm and want the most accurate and versatile application out of your Glock, you have to reload it yourself. At a cost of $4.75 a box, I can shoot it just like 40 or 45 ammo.

While the ballistics do not exceed 41/44 mag energy, a hotly loaded 10mm round can get close to mid-range 41 mag performance and lower range 44 mag performance. Silvertips and XTPs will get the job done for woods duty.

And how much is 41/44 mag by the box? Expensive. And not very fun to shoot after 40-50 rounds. And how many people regularly shoot their magnum pistols? Not much or enough to get accuracy rivaling their 9/40/45 pistols. And those mag pistols live in the safe.

You can load your 10mm cases to FBI Lite loads near 9mm/40SW recoil levels and shoot 10mm all day.

People are thus migrating the Norma 10mm history into present day. They started out too hot and the FBI's wimpy agents couldn't qualify (despite the fact that they had never touched a gun before acadmey and the Bureau didn't seek out military or police-trained candidates back then).

Let's get real here. If you need to discharge a firearm, the poop has already hit the fan and you're weren't alert in the first place. Even large animals are afraid of loud noises. Clap your hands.

If your objective is to be able to kill a bear, handguns are insufficent. BUT if your objective is to able to ward off bears and two legged creatures, a Glock 20 would be a fine multipuprose pistol.

10mm is a great round that can be loaded to 9mm recoil level all of the way up to punch a hole in that car door level delivering 650 + fpe into a target with a 45 ACP sized 220 grain bullet. 9, 40, and 45 can't do that - not enough room for the powder charge.

The 10mm is a 10 in my book.

12-34hom

I own and carry a Glock 20 for duty use and sometimes for CCW carry.

Recoil is no worst than stout 45acp loads, mine is very accurate, shooting a possible 246 out of 250 in qualifications with this weapon.

I have also equiped mine with a set of Hienie nite sites, Springco recoil reducer, Houge grip.

This is one fine combat weapon, and would make a fine carry weapon for the outdoors where you live.