Glock 20

Radamanthus

Just a couple of quick questions. I found a range that has a Glock 20 to rent. I am quite comfortable with the M21, and found that, for me, it was the most accurate handgun I have ever fired. Before I go rent one (and possibly buy one) I just wanted to know: what is the felt recoil like? Is it significantly different, or does the flexing polymer frame of the Glock help a lot? Also, does the M20 need different recoil springs to fire the wide variety of 10mm loads? The review of the gun on the remtek site says that with the heavier slide, the 10mm has been tamed. Is it true, or would I need to keep multiple sets of recoil springs?

MTMilitiaman

Felt recoil is purely subjective, but personally, I find my Glock 20 a pleasure to shoot. The 20 is more comfortable for me personally than a fullsize 1911 Gov Model. I think the combination of a low bore axis and polymer frame have went a long ways in the Glock 20. It won't be as controllable as a 9mm or perhaps even a .45, but you don't feel like you are touching off 700 foot pounds. Even the full power Double Tap loads are mild enough that I've seen a 17 year old girl control it just fine. Simply stated, the recoil is there but it doesn't beat you up. The Glock 20 is, for me, an a neat experience because you know you are letting off some serious automatic handgun power, but it doesn't feel like it. It is as close as I have found to getting something for nothing in this world. Even with the Desert Eagle, the trade off for controllability is weight. With the Glock 20, you get the power, simplicity of operation, and arguably the reliability of a .357 Magnum revolver but with close to 3x the capacity, and all in a pistol weighing less than 30 oz, unloaded. Your experiences may vary, but I seriously recommend you give the Glock 20 a try and decide for yourself how you like it. As for your expectations, I tend to be pessemistic when heading into new encounters, but I predict you'll be pleasently surprised.

Radamanthus

Thanks for the info. When I first shot the Glock 21, it was definitely a surprise. Not because of high recoil, but because of the lack of recoil.

PaleGreenHorse

The G20 will exhibit felt recoil in accordinance with the load type chosen. The 10mm is so versatile it can be as simple as a .40sw or truly nip at the heels of the .41magnum. All this said, the Glocks fullsize platform absorbs alot of the felt recoil and more push will be felt than anything. I find it quite easy to handle even with the mopst potent 10mm loads. PGH~