Glock 20 Problems with Ejection... Need Opinions

lonegunman

I recently got a LNIB G20, I dont think it had ever been fired.

I took it to the range and put about 300 rounds thru it.

Out of the 300 rounds, I had 5 failures to eject. It was the same malfunction each time:

The spent casing was extracted from the chamber, but was not thrown clear of the gun before the slide closed again, so the spent casing was trapped horizontally between the slide and breech.

This is an easy malfunction to clear, just pull back a tad on the slide and the casing falls on out.

It is not ammo-related, not magazine related, and not dirty gun related.

The gun had never been fired, so maybe it just needs a break in.

Or maybe the ejector has something wrong with it. It is stamped 8916, I believe. I have heard rumors that there may be a newer ejector that eliminates this problem.

I also wonder if changing the recoil spring to a bigger weight (eg 22 lbs) would help. Specifically, if I did that, would it slow slide velocity down so the case would have time to clear the gun before the slide closes?

I posted this at Glock Talk also, but there is not as much traffic there, and am not getting many responses.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

9x19

two things:

Make sure the bottom corner of the extractor isn't chipped. It can be if the previous owner was the type to drop a round in the chamber and let the slide close over it.

If it is chipped it can cause erratic ejection, as it's not holding the case properly when it meets the ejector.

Regarding the possibility of an ejector upgrade:

Call Glock, the number I've had the best luck with is 1-888-569-6830.

Good luck...

Sloan441

The big Glocks do need some breaking in. My G21 had the same problem when new. After a few hundred rounds, it self-corrected. Never had another failure to eject since (about 8 years or so).

This gun was under the upgrade, but I never bothered since it's behaved itself since the early days.

Tom B

I believe Glock had an ejector upgrade on some models. If the gun is new then it may be the recoil spring but not in the way you mentioned. If the spring is new it may be a tad too strong and the slide is not going all the way back during firing and at times not letting the empty brass clear the port. This happened to me with my second gen G17 last weekend. I had just installed a new recoil rod/spring and had a failure just like yours. Leave the gun stored with the slide locked back for several days. This will help loosen up the recoil spring some. Also try shooting a little warmer ammo just to see if problem goes away.

J.R. Bob Dobbs

I agree with all the previous posters....

Also, this is exactly what happens in a "limp wrist" failure, no insult intended, where you allow the gun to rotate enough that the slide doesn't go back hard enough to eject.

KK20

G20 and recoil ass

you did not mention if the G20 you bought had the factory recoil assembly.

if you could borrow the factory recoil ass and try same loads thro the gun.

i do no believe that letting the slide down on a loaded chamber will break parts. this sort of handling however is frowned upon by many.

with one of my glocks a chipped extractor worked effectively for many houndred of rounds.

keep us posted .

lonegunman

Thanks for the info guys...

I havent ruled out the possibility i was limp-wristing. It was a fairly long range session, about 300 rounds and about half of that was pretty hot stuff, so it was fairly tiring to shoot, especially towards the end.

I have some more ammo on order... will hit the range again when it comes and see what happens.

Any more ideas?

juliet charley

There's thread running over glocktalk in the 10mm forum about this phenomenum--evidently it is rather common (particularly in the G29). There are instructions for bending the extractor which evidently solves the problem.