Glock 20/21 grip size?

IM_Lugger

I'm considering getting Glock 20, but not sure if it's too big enough for my hand. I don't think I ever handled/shot either model :eek: so really have no idea how it's gong to fit my hand...

I don't really have large hands, but don't have a problem with 92FS, P226, or 1911 double stack. How does G20/21 grip compare?

btw if anyone has pics of the glock next to another gun feel free to post it?:)

Last edited:

MTMilitiaman

The fullsize Glock is definitely on the large size. If you are more interested in the .45 than the 10mm, you could check out the Glock 21SF, which stands for "Short Frame." Glock reduced the size of the grip slightly, most in trigger reach, where it is the same as the small frame 9mm Glocks.

Here is a pic with my Gen III Glock 20:
gripsizes.jpg

From left to right; a Ruger P90K .45 ACP, Springfield Armory MilSpec 1911, Glock 20, and HK USP Tactical 45. The Ruger and the Springfield both have Hogue grips on them, which do make them a little bigger.

This picture is taken with the triggers in line and does a pretty good job of showing the difference in the Glock's grip angle, if nothing else.

All said and done, I love my G20, and hope to supplement it with a G21SF as soon as possible. I have big enough hands that the standard grip doesn't bother me, but I think the Picitanny rail on the 'SF' looks cooler, and wouldn't complain about a slightly smaller grip either.

You should certainly try before you buy.

IM_Lugger

thanks for the pic/info!

goes the glock 20 have a bigger grip than the USP .45? I know Glock's grip get's a little bigger/wider at the bottom so it's hard to tell the looking at the mag well...

MTMilitiaman

I took some measurements with a shoe string.

Wrapped around the trigger at the rear-most part, where the trigger safety connects to the trigger, and straight back around the grip where the web of the hand would grasp the pistol, the Glock 20 has a circumference of 7 5/16 inches and a trigger reach measured with a micrometer of 2.945 inches. Circumference at the base of the grip, around the third finger groove even with the texture on the side of the grip, is 6 7/16 inches. Width of the grip, taken with a micrometer, even with the bottom of the trigger guard, is 1.283 inches.

For comparison, the USP Tactical 45 has a circumference of 7 5/8 inches and a reach of 3.01 inches in double action, a circumference of 7 inches and a reach of 2.717 inches in single action, a circumference of 6 1/4 inches at the base of the grip, taken around where the patent number is given on the side of the grip, and measures 1.244 inches wide under the trigger guard.

In the hand, they both feel pretty big, but the HK does seem slimmer--more long and narrow than the rounder, fuller feeling Glock.

Officer's Match

IM_LUGGER,
I have pretty much average sized hands other than a larger-than-average thumb span (FWIW I can unsually palm a basketball right off the dribble). I am one of those (perhaps few) that really can feel the difference between a standard 21 (which I like) and a 21SF (which I really love).

My PT92 feels more "made for my hands" than any of my others. I plan to get a 21SF some day, unless Glock produces a 20SF, which I'd snap up in an instant.

TDrift

Glock 21SF, which stands for "Short Frame." Glock reduced the size of the grip slightly, most in trigger reach, where it is the same as the small frame 9mm Glocks.
Not even close!

MTMilitiaman

I thought I read an article in a recent "Guns Magazine" in which the author measured his 21SF and found the distance from the trigger to the backstrap to be identical, or nearly so, to the smaller frame Glocks. I think the magazine got left with relatives so it may be a couple weeks before I can recover it.

Until then, this topic has some pretty good pics with the 21SF. It will have to do, at least for now.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789141