Glock 20 10mm to 40 S&W

swampdog

I've ordered a glock 20 in 10mm. I've read here and on other forums that the glock 20 can be converted to shooting 40 S&W with a drop in barrel from KKM. I'm interested in also being able to shoot 40 S&W to save some money and think that the $165 for the barrel is a reasonable price.

Does anyone here use the conversion barrel from KKM? Will I have to swap other parts or just the barrel? I've read the magazine that comes with the 20 will also work with 40 S&W. Anything anyone would like to share about this or on the Glock 20 in general would be welcome.

Thanks

Powderman

I think that if there is a problem, it would be a feeding problem related to the magazine. Other than that, it should be good to go.

10milg29

You'll be good to go. I have a KKM barrel in my G30 and I must say it is damn accurate without a hitch. I converted my G29 via Federal barrels to shoot 357 SIG and .40 without a problem.

10milg29

Change them a lot. The people I go shooting with load it up with whatever they have. I primarily use the 10mm barrel with the 357 sig getting the most use in terms of the conversions.

swampdog

Unfortunately, " The Federal Arms company are no longer producing Barrels or components". I really liked the price on the remaining ones, too.

Thanks for the tips, I guess I'll try out the barrel from KKM.

10milg29,
Do you use the same magazine for all 3 calibers? Any feeding problems?

treeprof

The KKM conversion bbl works fine in my G20's. Just change the bbl and you're good to go; never had any issue w/mine and any type of .40 ammo. Get an Advantage Arms .22 conv. kit next, and you'll have a very flexible platform.

swampdog

treeprof,

Thanks for mentioning the Advantage Arms .22 conversion. Ciener doesn't make one for the 20 and I thought I was out of luck. I'll probably get one of these, too.

How well does yours function?

knation

on a .40

So far the .40 S&W is my favorite, shot 9's 38's 45's 50's, like em all, but the 40 is the perfect fun, accurate, affordable, and deadly if ya need to go that route....if I had to say which is more effective, I couldn't. I believe in shot placement, I wouldn't care to be on the business end of any caliber! All have their strong points and all are strong enough to have fun with or kill no question.

treeprof

My AACK for the G20 functions flawlessly, and always has. Had some issues the one I use on my G19s, but the new style mags took care of that.

CritRxDoc

I have KKM conversions to both sig and 40 and love them. I have heard Storm lake makes a good barrel too and slightly cheaper. Welcome to the 10mm fold.

Vitamin G

I know this goes against the grain here,

But if you're looking at spending $165 on a barrel to shoot .40 to save money, have you considered looking at a reloading kit as an alternate purchase? It would save you far more money in the long run, though you'd have to invest a little more time than a barrel swap. You might consider it. 10mm was a great round for me to learn on, just a year ago.

swampdog

I'm getting set up now to reload .44 mag and .357. I've got a lee press and dies, I just need to get some components. I will probably reload for the 10mm, too, but factory .40 S&W is cheap, and easy to find.

Ammo Junky

I shoot .40 in the stock bbl. You cant drop a rnd in the chamber and drop the slide (headspace), but feeding from the mag is 100%. I use a very light loaded 40 for pratice. 155 rem hp 8.0 HS6 @ 970fps. Even with this very light load, the G20 cycles 100%. I wouldnt use 40 in a 10mm for anything but pratice, but I have never had a malfunction this way. As for the headspace, unless your 10mm brass is over sammi max length or droped by hand into the chamber, it will headspace on the extractor as well. To anyone worried about erosion and extraction problems, concider that the 10mm brass varies by up to .020". If you shot a bunch of brand x then down the road try some brand y that has a longer case, you got the same problem or more likely lack of a problem. If I ever had an erosion problem I could keep the stock bbl for 40 and get a barsto bbl for 10mm :D , but I dont think it will happen. I know others who shoot 40 in their g20 without any trouble. A dealer I know talked to a glock guy at the shot show and he said he does it all the time. If you want to get a 40 bbl for your G20, nothin wrong with that, but for pratice, you dont have to.
Happy shooting. :)

Oh yea, The only reason I do this is becaus i shoot outdoors and cant find my brass. I buy once fired and usualy never see it agian. if I could find 90% of my brass id stick with starline 10mm.

Ammo Junky

"Not smart..."

Ugg, Ugg, Me right u stoooopid, :rolleyes:

Wow, :eek: That has to be the most intelligent, fact filled, open minded responce tfl has ever seen. :rolleyes:

10milg29

It's probably just as intelligent as telling people it is acceptable to shoot .40 from a 10mm barrel. Obviously you are quite ignorant regarding firearms aren't you?