Glock 19 vs. Glock 23. Which one would you take?

viper

If you could just have one gun, and these were your two choices, which one would you go with--and why. I'm curious what my fellow TFLers would decide.

Rob96

I would take the G19. I owned a G22 and I am not crazy about the snappy recoil of the .40 auto round.

Will Beararms

I chose the G23 after having owned the G22. I find recoil a non-issue with both the 180's and 165's. My hand completely covers the G23 which may have something to do with the control aspect.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
It ain't the gun, it's the ammo

Leaving the "stopping power" :barf: debate alone, the issue is one of money. Nine is a bit cheaper to shoot if you don't reload. Not sure what the difference is if you do reload. I'd imagine there's not much....

I don't have nor do I plan on a .40 as I have too many calibers as it is. Good cartridge, but there's not a gap in my battery that it fills.

Flipping a coin would be a viable option.

Giz

WoundChannel

G19...

I have been carrying the G19 for over 5 years now, and I am confident with its performance. The 9mm is world famous and universal with NATO, so when you splitting up your enemies gear, you will have plenty of extra ammo. Nuf said.:)

Engineer

What's the main purpose for the gun? If you're going to shoot it alot, get the 9mm otherwise spring for a 9mm conversion barrel for your 23. As far as reloading goes, I can get a bag of 100 9mm 115gr FMJ bullets for $5.00 while 100 180gr FMJs run me close to $8.50 for a bag. Not a huge difference, but in the end, I still shoot more 9mm than 40.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Personally, I would take the G19. I already own a 23 and definitely do not care for it. It’s by far my most inaccurate gun. Wanna buy it? :D

Captain

I love the Glock 23. I feel it offers the best combination for personal defense. You have the same things as the 19 durability, reliability, size, comfort, lightweight, but I feel the stopping power if definitely better with the 40. If you are not recoil sensitive and are not strapped for money ( the ammo does cost a bit more), then go for the 23! Mine is on my hip every day, all day!

vyper005

Have owned both....

Damn thats a hard one....I think the 19 was definitely more accurate and had less recoil...follow up shots were also easier..And 9mm ammo is always easy on the wallet...The 23 has more power plus you could swap a 357sig barrel into it...like having 2 guns in one,a big plus....Both guns are roughly the same size with the 23 weighing a tiny bit more...And if you carry,I doubt you would feel the difference even if its loaded....Preban mags for the 19 held 15rnds and the 23 held 13....either way,thats alot of firepower :) I dont know if its a big concern to you or not...but whenever you hear about problems with any Glocks,its always the 22 and 23's because of their unsupported chambers...The problems are usually related to reloaded ammo....I say if you have the money get both but if you dont....get the 23...perfect combo of size power and accuracy....plus you can get the extra barrel later on if you want....Either way....you come out the winner !! Take care..

[Edited by vyper005 on 02-20-2001 at 12:16 PM]

Lightsped

I have been considering either a G17C or a G19C. I was not aware that the G23C will accept the 9mm barrels. How much are the 9mm barrels going for if I would choose to get the G23C for the "three guns in one" reason?

G19

This is an easy choice.....I'd take the G19. I have found the G23 to have exceptionally poor accuracy (the least accuracy of all the Glocks I shot). I also don't care for the snappy recoil. Even the little .40 G27 kills the G23 in the accuracy department IMO.

The G19 is a little easier on the hands and the accuracy is decent. When center hits are a must, I want the more accurate pistol. The G19 can also be shot a lot faster and more agressively.

long shot

Own both & would favor the 23 if I could only have one. Recoil can be stout w/ this light of a pistol firing say 155gr Silver Tips or 155 GD's. However, w/ 180gr loads (which I prefer), IMO, recoil isn't much worse than my 19 firing 124gr+p GD's for instance.

The 19 will be easier for most to shoot well, & when I carry mine, it's usually loaded w/ 124+p+ Hydra-Shok's, & I don't feel the least bit "outgunned".

Best advice I can give, go w/ the one you feel most comfortable with, & feed it with a good factory jhp & practice!

Best...long shot!

leapfrog

The 19. Reasons, less recoil, better accuracy, faster follow up shots, cheaper practice, and 2 more rounds in the same size package.

viper

Wow. Thank you for all the responses! I really appreciate the help. Just so I know, has anyone ever noticed a reliablility difference between the G19 and G23?

Also, for those of you that have the Glock 26 and 27, how do the performance/handling and reliablility of these two compare to each other, and to the G19 and G23?

Russell92

the G19. i'm more of a fan of the 9mm. i feel it works basically just as well as the .40 with less recoil, more rounds in the mag and cheaper target practice. that's why i own a G19 and not a G23.

Richard

Go Model 19!

Chalk me up for the Model 19. I have owned one for years and I use mine for a house gun. I think it is the best service 9mm out there. Why? Its compact size, capacity, accuracy, and reliability. I prefer Browning High-Powers but the Glock 19 fills its nitch for me. Regards, Richard

Engineer

Of my 9mm Glocks, I'd have to say that the 26 is my favorite - and I can shoot it better than my 19 (which shoots about the same as my 23).