Glock 19 or custom Browning Hi-Power?

viper

These are my two carry guns down here in Miami. I enjoy them both tremendously and both guns run 100%. My Glock is out-of-the box stock with night sites. My Hi-Power is a custom Novak(Kurt Wickmann) special with all the bells and whistles(C&S wide trigger and commander hammer, extended beavertail, you name it). I carry one or the other, depending on my mood on any given day. One of them is always with me, wherever I go.

Here is my quesion:

Considering the fact that both of these guns are generally deemed by most firingliners to be examples of the 9mm handgun in its highest form--albeit from two different eras and construction principles--, if you could only have one of these to take with you wherever you go, which one would you choose and why?

I ask this question because someone recently asked me this very question, and I just plain couldn't answer it. The only thing my Browning has over my Glock is the fact that it's a $2,000 gun(all in--gun + work), and took me 2 1/2 years to get. Also, with it's 1930's design aesthetic and all the work it'had, I must say it stands as a true work of ballistic art(I will try to scan a photo of it for everybody, along with the work order at some point in the near future). I even have reliable 20 round mags for it.

So, I ask all of you the same question that was asked of me. You can only have one gun to take with you. which would you choose?

------------------
Let's just hope we don't get Gore'd in November.
I don't know about everyone else, but I'd much
rather get some Bush.

9x45

G19 hands down. I mean a BHP is a fine gun, and has the best ergonomics of any pistol, but you are talking about when it positively must go bang, and thats any Glock.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. Assuming equal reliability, carry the one you are most accurate with and trust the most. If they're equal in those areas, carry the Glock as you won't miss it as much while it's in evidence in the event you're required to defend yourself. It could also be more easily replaced. Best.

racegunner

An important lesson I've learned is to not be a "gun switcher". It doesn't matter if you are proficient with both guns, when the SHTF you will lose fine muscle control and the only thing that will be reliable is muscle memory. You will probably never have a need for your gun, but if you do you will need it FAST. That split second you lose because you thought you had your Glock, but had the Browing that day could cost you. I carry a Glock26, if I do switch its to a Glock30 when weather allows more clothing for better concealment. A switch, yes, but exact function. I have a custom 1911 that I really like, but it stays bedside or goes to the range.
My vote is for the simple Glock. Whatever you decide, don't be a gun switcher. One other bit; always use the same carry method...and never a shoulder rig or crossdraw, it will get you dead.

viper

Racegunner,

Why will crossdraw or a shoulder rig get you dead? Personally, I don't use either of these modes of carry, but a lot of the old gunfighters used to use crossdraw.

------------------
rather get some Bush.

blades67

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by racegunner:
An important lesson I've learned is to not be a "gun switcher". It doesn't matter if you are proficient with both guns, when the SHTF you will lose fine muscle control and the only thing that will be reliable is muscle memory. You will probably never have a need for your gun, but if you do you will need it FAST. That split second you lose because you thought you had your Glock, but had the Browing that day could cost you. I carry a Glock26, if I do switch its to a Glock30 when weather allows more clothing for better concealment. A switch, yes, but exact function. I have a custom 1911 that I really like, but it stays bedside or goes to the range.
My vote is for the simple Glock. Whatever you decide, don't be a gun switcher. One other bit; always use the same carry method...and never a shoulder rig or crossdraw, it will get you dead.
[/quote]

Why is it okay to have a gun, like your custom 1911, at your bedside where it may be presumed that you will be sleeping and will have to use said unfamiliar gun in a groggy state, but it is not okay to switch guns as the mood strikes to be carried while fully alert? Do you believe that you will be faster with the unfamiliar custom 1911 when awakened in the middle of a deep sleep, by a noise of unknown origin, than with your Glock 26 while awake, alert and able to see a dangerous situation unfolding before you? Could you explain your logic please?

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.

viper

That's a good point, blades67.

------------------
rather get some Bush.

Correia

Assuming equal reliability, I would take the Hi-power. Especially with the beavertail, a wonderfull thing for us big handed folks.

Personally I don't see gun switching to be that big of a problem. As long as you know what your carrying, and you practice with it, no problem. I've never been in a life or death gun battle by any means, but I've been able to get various different guns into action fast enough to nail a running or flying critter with out stumbling around. But Your Milage May Vary.

hnkg3

I'm a big Glock fan, but if one of the two had to go, I would keep the Browning- reason: more money in it, and for that kind of money it better be reliable! Also, it's a classic, and they are comfortable. Shoulder holsters are no problem, and if used correctly, can easily be defended. If right handed, and somebody grabs for you weapon, simply use your lt hand and secure the weapon. Second, if they are still hanging on, blade your body by taking a step with your right foot over. They are extended off balance, and set up for a elbow to the face. You can continue to step backwards and pull them off balance more, but it would work to just draw your weapon at that point and shoot them in the groin. Piece...

------------------
The tree of liberty must be refreshed with the blood of Patriots and tyrants alike...TJ.

Russell92

IMO it doesn't matter what you do to a Hi-Power it still won't be as reliable as a G19. glocks will work in more circumstances than any other gun will. they will take so much abuse that no other gun will take. they will work properly even when not cleaned for a looong time, they can be taken into any enviornment and still work, they can be dropped 400 feet out of a helicopter, driven over by a truck, etc.

my G19 is my all around favorite handgun and i trust it more than any other gun. i shoot it more accurately than any other pistol, it feels great in my hands and points naturally for me.

also i think its easier to conceal. its smaller and weights less, yet it holds more rounds. they will last forever and are easy to change parts around without needing an armorer.

also they cost less. if you drop your $2000 Hi-Power and get a tiny scratch on it i'm sure you'd be pretty pissed off but it doesn't matter as much with a glock.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
The Glock, if it is reliable; due to the hot and humid climate in the Miami area, as you are amist salt water atmosphere!!! :)

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Richard

He tears open the envelope and the answer is the GLOCK 19. Why? I feel it is easier to replace and a damn fine weapon in its own right. The Glock 19 is among the most size efficient 9mms out there and it will take a lot of abuse. If I could only own one it would be the Brownng High-Power. Again, why? There is no 9mm I shoot better or faster than a BHP. Regards, Richard.

Tough choice - I carry both a Glock 26 and custom Hi-Power myself. I usually carry the Hi-Power simply because I am more comfortable and accurate with it.

On the other hand, there are many good reasons to carry the Glock. My Hi-Power is a thing of beauty and I would be awful put out to see it disappear into a police evidence locker. The Glock is almost as accurate, just as reliable, and can take a pretty good beating during everyday carry. Plus if I lost it, it would just be time to buy another of the little ugly suckers - not another year of searching to find a Hi-Power followed up with 6 months of waiting for custom work.

Although I have firmly convinced myself that carrying the Glock is the smarter move - I still carry the Hi-Power whenever I can - go figure. I think what I really convinced myself of is that I need a replacement custom Hi-Power for emergencies.

HankB

I carry a BHP. Simply put, I shoot better with it and it's more reliable than my G17. Latter is good, but it IS easier to induce a malfunction in a Glock, especially by "limp wristing" it. And I wonder if I can keep a really firm grip on it if I were already injured...

In terms of replacing it, if I survived a serious encounter where I'd had to use it, I figure return of my pistol will be the LEAST of my worries. (And since I shoot the BHP better, I figure I'm more likely to survive if TSHTF.)

jtduncan

The Glock is a tool and at $500, it can be replaced. The $2000 BHP cannot be so easily replaced.

But who am I kidding, I'm carrying one of the first HKP7s imported into the US from 1984 hard chromed and looking new as a baby's bottom. But hey, that was only a $1,000 gun.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG