GLOCK 19 Gen 4 vs BERETTA 92

ChaseReynolds

I am looking at buying my first handgun this July. I have narrowed down the choices to these two. I seem to find the Glock for less money than the Beretta. I know there are a lot of Glock Die Hards out there. So let me have it. I mostly want to know about reliability.

Billy Shears

In my experience, both are EXTREMELY reliable, through thousands and thousands of rounds.

But what are you going to use this pistol for?

We need more info.

Sixer

Tough call... but having owned a Glock 23 Gen 3 for a while with no issues... I've got to go with the Glock on this one.

I'm not a Glock "fanboy" but it's hard to deny the reliability... and availability of aftermarket parts.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either one. Get your hands on both, fire them if you can, and go from there ;)

meanmachine1961

I have a G17 and a 92FS and both are fantastic guns. Reliability is not a problem with either. If it is for carry, I would lean toward the Glock. Can't go wrong in choosing either of these fine weapons.

Last edited:

Mrgunsngear

Both guns are great and will serve you well. Between the two, the biggest difference in how they will perform is the trigger systems. Striker vs DA/SA---that's a call none of us can make for you brother. Good luck.:D
IMAG1020.jpg

Last edited:

jglsprings

Have you held and or fired both? With these two weapons it is more a 'how does it fit/work for me' issue. Not which is better.

Roland Thunder

The Glock 19 is probably more versatile. Small enough to carry, large enough for a range gun and home defense. Both are quality guns

RickB

I wouldn't think of the 19 and 92 as equivalent? The 19 is a somewhat compact pistol, while the Beretta is, for a 9mm, a very large pistol. I'd compare the 92 to the Glock 34. Both are large(ish) guns, but if concealment isn't an issue, I'd prefer the extra sight radius and velocity.

batmann

I have/had both and I still have a Glock 22 if that tells you anything. The 92 is a fine weapon, but oversize for the round IMHO.

Slipkey

I absolutely love my 92FS. It's a delight to shoot, very accurate, and infinitely customizable - which is important to me. That said, there's no comparison if you want a good all-around gun for home and carry. The 92, IMHO, is suitable only for open carry. The 19 is smaller, lighter, has fewer parts to go wrong, has great accuracy and is fun to shoot. I'm not a fan of the lack of external safety but that's my own bias and not reflective of the gun. peacefulgary summed it in much fewer words than I, but I agree with him.

Yung.gunr

If you are getting it mainly for HD I would go with the 92. Four reasons that come to my mind quickly are:

1. Hammer fired DA/SA
2. Safety (some advise this is a good thing for a first handgun)
3. Trigger is REALLY nice on the 92 (or at least on mine)
4. Looks.... The Beretta is one sexy Italian machine. The Glock... Well... What does it rhyme with? (block)

If you were planning in carrying it more then "maybe" I would say go with the Block..

TxFlyFish

I have both and am a die hard glock fan. I would however advise you to get the 92fs. If you get a 3rd gen 17, then I would pick that over 92fs. both are very reliable, and from my experience and my buddy's who's a beretta fanatic it's really a toss up between the two

IMightBeWrong

Both of your choices are excellent, but also totally different. The Glock 19 is much smaller and lighter and more suited to all around use than the Beretta if you were to only have one pistol. The Beretta is larger and heavier and built for military and police use for the most part. I love them both.

Between the two, I'm going to say get the Walther PPQ.