glock 17 vs 17L vs 34

porkskin

saw a glock17L at academy and got to wondering...is there notable accuracy differences between these models? 17L seems to have a longer barrel than the 34. as a pure range piece, is the 17L the pick of the litter?

Walt Sherrill

I've owned both a 17 and 34 (still have the 34), and have shot a 17L. The differences I've seen have more to do with how they feel in your hand, balance, etc.

The longer 34 slide and barrel didn't make for a more accurate gun, but the longer sight radius might make it a hair easier to shoot well. (The 34 is balanced a little better; essentially the same weight as the 17, but more balanced between front and back.)

Some very short-barreled guns can be very accurate; barrel length isn't a big factor in that aspect of performane.

Huntergirl

I have no dog in this fight, since the only glock I ever owned was the 27. Found I am not a Glock fan. But it seems with any configuration, its more about what feels right to you. I'm more of a 1911 gal, but have found the XD 45 to feel right, and then shoot accurately for me.

Golddog

Glock accuracy

I own a 19, a 26, and a 34. The two longer ones are easier to shoot well because of their longer grips and barrels, and the 34 is one of the sweetest shooting guns I've ever held, thanks to its excellent balance and wonderful trigger. Only a really good 1911 is its equal, and I'll wager that the 34 is more reliable.

Willie Lowman

I own a G22 and a G24C. I used to own a 17L.

The longer sight radius helps (in my opinion) when shooting small targets. ie. Competition, not "real world" shooting.

From what I have read, the 17L was created for practical competition in Europe. I don't know if it is true, but I do know that my 24C helps me put bullets where a want them a little faster than I could with my 22.

Alleykat

Pretty simple to install a 3.5# connector in a G17 and equal the trigger of the G34. My Glocks' triggers pull from 3# to just under 4#. I use aftermarket connectors and polish all mating surfaces in the firing mechanism.