Glock 17 or Glock 22

roger-ruger

Wanting to get a glock pistol but dont know what to get. I like the 22 for being a .40 cal reason however, ive heard so many issues on them. KB, etc. (a myth? i dunno). The 17 would also be fine though in 9mm but ive not heard any issues on the 17 model.

So, caliber is not an issue but more on reliabilty, ruggedness, etc.

Lastly, are all NIB Glock 22s in the market today a 3rd gen Glock? Whats the difference of the 3rd to the 1st and 2nd generations.

Thanks in advance.

Sonny

threegun

Glocks in any caliber or model are awesome. I currently own 9 Glocks with 5 being in 40 caliber. Although I don't own the G22 I have in the past with perfect satisfaction. I just prefer the G23 for carry, the G35 for a ifthepoophitsthefangun and competition, and the G27 for deep concealment. Whichever you choose there is no finer fighting gun made. Others come close but none offer the combination of reliability, durability, accuracy, low bore axis, quick consistent trigger, and tough finish. If they fit and feel good in your hand you are truly blessed. 9MM or 40 you will be happy with the bullet launcher for sure.

riverrat27

http://glockmeister.com/glockinf.shtm

That link should cover just about any question you may have about a glock. They also have an article covering KB's.

I believe the gen1 pistols have a smooth stock. Gen2 has a serrated stock. The gen3 has the serrations,fingers grooves and the tactical rail.
I don't know of anyone having any NOS so if you want a new one it will be a gen3.
Don't be afraid to buy an unmolested used gun if you want an earlier generation. You don't have to be the original purchaser of the gun to make a claim under the lifetime warranty.

tulsamal

I personally think the Glock 17 is a fine choice for a "first Glock." That's where the reputation was made. That's the gun that saw all the military trials. It's a gun that almost never has anything bad said about it. I've got a G17 first gen and it still gets shot quite a bit.

And I will also agree that the G35 is even more fun at the range. Especially if you buy a .357 SIG barrel for it!

Gregg

IM_Lugger

I like the 22 for being a .40 cal reason however, ive heard so many issues on them. KB, etc. (a myth? i dunno).
No, not a Myth it's unsupported chamber. Glock decided to sacrifice the safety to insure the reliability.

Harley Quinn

Start with the 17 then go to the 22, that is exactly what I did, (as far as glocks go), when training new shooters I start with the 17 and go to the 22 and on from there.

I also think you should have them shoot a DA revolver to strengthen the finger and condition them to know it is the lower 3 fingers that hold the gun. then go to the two hand hold.
Squeeze a ball with the lower 3 fingers only and then squeeze the tigger with the upper finger, also while holding the ball tight with the lower 3 fingers. Squeeze the finger that does the firing, independently from the others. Train that hand to isolate the trigger finger.:)

HQ

I own both.

my GLOCK 17 is probably my favorite, cause the ammo is alot cheaper then .40 ammo. is the .40 caliber GLOCKs unsafe, no. just ask the D.E.A., F.B.I., US Marshals, most law enforcement in america (and some in canada). sure some .40 GLOCKS, have had their problems, but overall its used by most L.E. and isnt going anywhere. yeah your going to find some people that say its unsafe, and yes recently the indiania state troopers dropped the 22, for the G17, but i dont plan on selling mine. and only afew bad GLOCK 22s have existed, but hundreds of thousands, are going strong and doing great. GLOCKs are probably the highest selling (bigger name brand), pistols out there. so being compared to HK, and Sig, where for every one HK, or Sig, there are probably 50 GLOCKS (probably more then that), out there, your going to have more problems with the GLOCKS (just cause theres more of them). i think the big reason GLOCKs KB, is because alot of idiot users out there with them, really do believe they are indestructable, and treat them real, real bad, never clean or lube it, shoot lead, shoot reloaded ammo, then when their poor pistol has problems, they blame the gun and yell they want a refund. just buy the GLOCK 22, you seem like you want it, just get it, and be happy, trust me it wont brake, unless you want it to break.

Ralph2

I have a G21 and G22 (45 ACP and 40 S&W) both are the recipents of the "thousands are blowing up" syndrome. A few have, magnified by blogs, urban legends and those with caliber snobbery or anti Glock leanings. I had a conversation with one guy at a gunshow telling a Glock armorer the perils and flaws of the model G21. I informed him my old pre-ban G21(eevill 13 rounder) is still chugging along fine eating Chi-com, Hungarian, S&B, WWB, & handloads (don't tell Glock) with nary a difference in accuracy and no worries. Come to find out he did not have nor had never shot a Glock of any type.

I don't regret getting my G22. It balances feels better in my medium sized hand than my G21 does which is almost too large for my grip. Half-Price-Assassin is right on getting it to break but you might have to work really really hard to get it to do so.

Pick your caliber and go from there. Can't go wrong either way.

Sun Tzu

G-17

Brother,

This is so funny I just got a friend hooked up two days ago w/a brand new G-17. He relented after listening to my rants for so long...:eek:

I told him its the only choice for HD. High capacity, ability to convert to sbr, easy to accessorize, indestructible, reliable & PERFECT! He has laid a PERFECT foundation for securing both himself & his family.:)

I have owned Glocks, 7 now, since 1996. When I found out I could bleed, pee, freeze, heat, drown, drop, run over, bury in sand or mud, etc. any Glock I was a believer. Its torture tests say it all. Nothing else needs to be debated. It is the PERFECT weapon for combat in any environment. And anybody who disagrees w/me is just wrong!;)

Peace, S Tzu

Master Sun would have a Glock in every caliber just because...:p

Ralph2

I respectfully submit that I hope I don't ever buy one of your trade ins after your torture testing. eeeeewwwww. :barf:

Here I thought that odd smell was cheap powder :D

threegun

With an aftermath of Katrina type scenario a very real possibility owning a weapon that is reliable in the absolute worst conditions is a bonus.

I have owned Glocks, 7 now, since 1996. When I found out I could bleed, pee, freeze, heat, drown, drop, run over, bury in sand or mud, etc. any Glock I was a believer. Its torture tests say it all. Nothing else needs to be debated. It is the PERFECT weapon for combat in any environment. And anybody who disagrees w/me is just wrong!

I agree:D

teejhot.40cal

Unless ur very recoil sensitive or price of ammo is a problem go with the 22...
I own a 19 and I really wish I would of gone with the 23. So learn from my mistakes.

Harley Quinn

teejhot.40cal

Have you experienced anything wrong with the 19? Have you been in a fire fight and unable to dispatch your advisary?
I Guess you will be trading in your 19 for a 23? Your mistake is your opinion.

The person is interested in the difference between a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation Glock also.

They are different because of the grip. They made 1st with grips that slip with wet hands. So they switched to a more aggressive and much more detailed grip. They got more detailed as the generation went up in numbers.
Might be some small changes in the interior to help in quality also?

HQ:)