glock 17 or 19

meat

After much debate between a kahr and a glock, I think I'm finally going to choose the glock. After reading various posts about the Kahrs, they just don't seem to have all of the bugs worked out of their pistols yet. My question is, between these 2 9mm models (the 17 and the 19), which one would be better suited to home/personal defense, reliability, and ammo feeding ability? I tend to like the 19 a liitle better because it's a little smaller. Better for taking w/ me while I go on walks and whatnot. I also go camping and mountain biking quite a bit and the 19 seems like it's slip into a fanny pack or carry bag a little better. But if anyone knows for sure that the 17 beats the model 19 hands down in reliabilty and ammo digestion, I'd rather choose the gun that's going to have the longer service life. Thanks.

Doc Lucas

I doubt that you will find any difference in reliability between the G17 and G19. The G17 is Glock's full sized frame, whild the G19 is a slightly more compact version of the same design. You can use G17 magazines in the G19, though not visa versa due to the length of the magazine well. Both work fine, last a long time.

CWL

They should both give you comparable service. The G19 is more concealable if you will be taking it with you to the outdoors, also it's smaller grip may suit your wife/girlfriend's hands better just in case.
I personally like my G17 because of the larger grip. -Actually, I prefer my .40 cal G22 even better.

croyance

I never had any problem with the Kahr, so I don't know what problems need to be worked out. Back in '95-'96, their first run had some issues, but not since then. You might be thinking of some Kel-Tec models.

In any case, the Glock is certainly a functional pistol. The G19 is what you are looking for if you are going to CCW. It is easier to conceal, while the sight radius gives you reasonable accuracy.

Bob Locke

I bought a G19 over the G17 for one reason: concealability. The differences don't look like much when you have the pistols side by side, but it's pretty noticeable (to me) when trying to "hide" them on your person.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Pick 'em, cuz both are darn good guns!!!

I bought the G-17 while I always have wanted a G-19. With hi-cap's in either, you'd be well
armed against a bad guy!!!::):D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

jtduncan

I've owned every single 9mm Glock except the G17L.

And if I could only have one 9mm Glock, the G19 is the most versatile. A 4" barrel so good ballistics. Accepts 15 round hi cap mags and is ver concealable due to its thinness.

And if you're lucky, you'll be able to buy a factory refurbished police trade in with a pair of hi caps for about $400.

If you're going full-szied,t he G34 is a much sweeter shooter than the G17. Glock is always forcing G17s on dealer because the G19 compact sells the best.

7th Fleet

I own both and the 19 is by far my favorite, due to its more compact size. You will not live long enough to even come close to wearing either one of them out, so don't concern yourself about this, since it is a non issue with either Glock.

7th

AndyP

The guns are equivalent in reliability, in my experience. I prefer the Glock 17 since I can control the gun better with the larger grip when shooting "double taps."