glock 17 not fully returning to battery....help!

KShaft

okay, i got the full glock package from glockmiester and it just got installed. But heres the problem. The weapon falls about a millimeter(sp?) short of returning to battery. the slide is back just a tad. the weapon functions fine(no i didnt notice until after i shot it) but i just dont like it. I think the problem is from the extended takedown lever. Is it possible to put this wrong? is this a problem or is it fine?

thanks,
k.s.

By "extended take down lever" do you mean the slide stop lever? If you do it is possible to install it incorrectly. If your recoil spring is weak it might not return the slide to battery. When you pull the slide to chamber a round are you letting go of the slide to let it snap forward. Don't ride the slide with your hand when chambering a round. Check www.glockmeister.com to find out how to dissamble the Glock. Hope this helps.

dawg23

If it's clean, and if you installed the parts correctly, then you need a new recoil spring. Test the spring as follows:

1. Make sure pistol is unloaded.
2. Pull trigger.
3. While holding trigger down, pull the side back and hold it back.
4. Point the pistol straight up, keep holding the trigger down, and SLOWLY allow the slide to move to the closed position.
5. If the slide DOESN'T close fully, continue to hold the trigger while you SLOWLY tilt the pistol to the horizontal position. The slide should close fully by the time you reach the 45 degree angle.
6. If you have tilt it past the 45 degree angle for the slide to close, the spring is getting weak.
7. If you have to tilt it all the way to the horizontal position for it to close, or if it doesn't close even then, your spring definitiely needs to be replaced.