Glock 17 gen 3 vs G17 gen 4

DubC-Hicks

For me, the better grip texture and mag release are worth getting the Gen 4. Now that all the kinks with the extractors and recoil springs are worked out, the Gen 4 is my go-to.

If the Gen 3 feels fine in your hands, then the price discount might make that the better option for you.

JDBerg

I’ve been shooting my Gen3 17 for over 8 years and have about 12K rounds through it. I use it primarily as a range and HD pistol and I wouldn’t trade this one for a Gen4.

IMHO, if the replaceable backstraps and / or beavertails on the Gen4 help you shoot the pistol better, then the Gen4 is the way to go. But most of the people I know with Gen4’s don’t use these grip “upgrades” anyway, these tend to sit in the box unused. I have Hogue Handall gripsleeves on my Gen3 17 & 19 that work better for me than those Gen4 accessory backstraps / beavertails.

TunnelRat

If you find you like the grip of the Gen 3 better, you're in luck. You can add the appropriate backstrap to your Gen 4 to essentially replicate the Gen 3. Some people do like the default configuration of the Gen 4 that reduces the grip circumference some.

otasan

I have a G17 Gen 3 and I like it. It was a Gen 2 since 1989, but I got it coverted by GGA a few years ago. In either form, it has never malfunctioned since 1989.

Last edited:

jmhyer

Unless you are a lefty and would benefit from some of the reversibility/ambidexterity of the Gen4...or if you prefer the Gen4's alterability of grip dimensions, then I say get whichever you can find for less money. Spend the savings on ammo or training.

PeteH

GF and I shot the gen 4 yesterday.
After much discussion with the dealer we ended up getting the gen 4 over gen 3 because of the grip options and the improved recoil spring assembly.
I remarked that the gen 4 seems as light on recoil as my g26 and that's what led to the recoil spring discussion.

The difference was 50 bucks.

the downside is a general consensus that the gen 3 trigger is better than the gen 4. I'll work on that.

jr24

The medium beavertail on the Gen 4 feels made for my hands, so I prefer that.

Also like the texture and mag release on the G4 better.

brian33x51

I believe henderson defense on the ar15 forums was saying that the gen4 g17's were only makng it 30k or so rounds before breaking vs the gen3's going 90k+. It's a slide crack issue, both by the ejector and also at the recoil rod retension area. The gen5 beefed that part up. It would be good to go double check that as it's been a while since i last looked.

TunnelRat

That's interesting to know. I'd point out though that not a lot of people put that many rounds through a single pistol when we are talking the general population. This forum and a lot of forums tend to be exceptions that way. That said hopefully Glock would take care of it. I wasn't aware the Gen 4 had reduced thickness in the slide compared to the Gen 3.

L-2

I've got a G17Gen3, Gen4, and Gen5, so i don't have to prefer or wonder. Whichever I'm in the mood to choose to carry or shoot, I just do it. All three generations of G17 are all working fine for me.

More Details.
I was livid with my G17Gen3 when I first got it, due to excessive brass-to-face. Finally, after several thousand rounds, installing a #30274 (gen4) ejector cured it. Back then, I was mainly carrying a G22gen3, then G22gen4, but I did want that G17gen3 to function correctly.

batmann

Hard to beat a GIII Glock 22. I have Talon grips to help and added night sites. It is my primary SD and HD weapon.