glock: 1 in chamber, uncocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyboyjake

I have read that one of the issues people have with the glock is the inability to carry a loaded gun in an un-cocked condition. Ive learned tonight, after fiddling with my G23, how this can be done. Can anyone surmise as to how one might go about this?

Furthermore, it can be brought to a cocked condition without ejecting the bullet currently in the chamber.

chris in va

I don't know, but leaving one in the chamber and pulling the trigger while out of battery sounds really dangerous to me. If you're unnerved by the Glock manual of arms, perhaps it's time to get something more to your liking?

jersey_emt

What's the point? Just carry without a round chambered or trade for a gun with a manual safety or whatever else makes you more comfortable.

Davey

Are you trying to put one in the chamber without cocking the gun? I don't understand how that could happen. Also I don't understand why someone would want to do that.

If the gun isn't cocked what's the point of having one in the chamber?

Also, if you fiddled with it tonight then please enlighten us on what you've discovered.

Auto426

Why would one want to have a round in the chamber in an uncocked Glock? That makes no sense to me.

Glock's operate much like single action pistols. The trigger pull doesn't cock the gun like it would on a DA/SA auto, the rearward movement of the slide does. If you somehow managed to get a live round in the chamber with the gun uncocked, it would be ejected when you rack the slide to cock the gun, wasting a live round.

Nitesites

Are you possibly applying pressure to the trigger, while operating the slide with a loaded magazine inserted?

flyboyjake

yeah yeah, whats the point, I know. I love my glocks, and have no issues with the lack of a manual safety, but its not about me. Its the same principle as someone carrying a single action pistol like a 1911 with the hammer down. Some people just dont like their gun cocked and ready when carrying...dont ask me why.

Ive found however, that with a field stripped glock, you can insert a bullet in the bbl, reassemble the gun, and it is now chambered, but un cocked. To cock it, the slide needs only to be moved back about half an inch, which is not enough to extract the round in the chamber. Its simple and stupid, I know, but I was somewhat excited about it, and had to share, lol. I'll continue to carry cocked, but it may be a good method for storing loaded guns in safes, or night stands, so that the striker spring does not lose strength over the months of no use.

FrankenMauser

In an emergency situation, you're likely to rack the slide far enough to eject the live round. It's a pointless to hold the trigger, while dropping the slide. You're just wasting time. Now... and when it REALLY matters.

Then, or course... there are the safety issues, of pulling the trigger on a live round; but not actually wanting it to go off.

Mechanical devices will malfunction.

flyboyjake

geez, do you guys sleep? ;)

Well I think its pretty neat, and probably practical in some cases. There is no need to keep the trigger down. You dont even have to touch the trigger until you are ready to fire.

Auto426

In an emergency situation, you're likely to rack the slide far enough to eject the live round.

I agree. If your adrenaline is flowing you are likely to rack the slide just like you would with any other auto, and that would lead to wasting a live round. A 1911 or a similar pistol with an exposed hammer is a different matter, since you would be cocking a hammer and would have no chance of ejecting or jamming a live round. An exposed hammer is also a very visible visual indicator of the gun's condition, unlike some striker fired designs.

flyboyjake

if you are not proficient with the weapon, you may rack too far and lose a live round. But the only alternative for people who dont like to leave it cocked is to have nothing in the chamber and a full magazine. In that case, they never had the live round to lose anyway. This way they still have another bullet if they are cognizant enough not to throw it out.

Look im not saying this is an efficient or effective way to carry a gun, but its interesting nonetheless. Don't be jealous that you didnt discover it :p

KEENO,

I do not understand your post...

Powderman

To the OP...

There is nothing to worry about. When the Glock handgun is in battery, there is minimal pressure on the striker spring. It will not lose its strength.

Your friendly neighborhood Powderman
Glock LE Armorer
Colt LE Armorer

(and all around itinerant gun plumber)

Last edited by a moderator:

voyager4520

I fail to see the point, and furthermore I'd be afraid to do so because when the trigger is rearward the firing pin safety is depressed so there's nothing blocking the firing pin from striking the primer.

shortwave

( and all around itinerant gun plumber)

:D:D:D

Powderman,

Your explanation of the Glock 'mechanical' process is correct as well as your assessment of the rudeness in kenno's post.

Kudo's to you.

Kreyzhorse

If the gun isn't cocked what's the point of having one in the chamber?

+1. There is zero reason to carry this way. Furthermore, screwing around to get the gun in this condition seems like a hell of a good way to have a ND.

Either carry the Glock loaded and cocked or carry it unloaded. In a SD situation where you would have to pull the gun and rack the slide, you are likely going to give it a full rack anyway.

ET.

My first thought is if you are so uncomfortable carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber then go buy a gun with a safety. Better yet, there are aftermarket trigger replacements that put a safety in the trigger system. It looks like a Remingtom 870 shotgun safety. From what I've read it works. I still can't see trying to carry a Glock with a round in the chamber without cocking it. Just leave the chamber empty & rack it when you need it. (even though that's not for me)

flyboyjake: said:
Don't be jealous that you didnt discover it

Ummm, jealous? No. Thankful? Yes.

Last edited:

Winchester_73

How does this thread stay open?

If you don't want to carry loaded and ready, or empty chamber with full magazine, perhaps the glock isn't for you.

In a practical sense, if its a SD scenario, assuming that you will pull the slide back a lil to ensure the chambered round stays in while cocking the gun, is a BIG assumption and fails to consider anything about SD situations.

I personally don't want to be racking a slide so I carry loaded, or if a different platform, I engage a left thumb side manual safety. I do this because I assume that I may not be able to rack the slide for various reasons and I also am not bothered by carrying a glock that way. The safety is between your ears but I do like manual safeties because drawing the gun and disengaging the safety isn't very difficult for those. With a glock, that step is deleted which has obvious pro's and cons. I see no reason to explore a middle road to this which has never been endorsed by the company or any SD class, expert, etc.

Last edited:

Winchester_73

Its the same principle as someone carrying a single action pistol like a 1911 with the hammer down.

Perhaps.....but far less practical. Cocking a hammer can be done one handed the last time I checked which is an important SD consideration.

Thinking that you will definitely be able to rack the slide before needing to use the gun is wishful thinking and rather naive, IMO but it is a safe method of carry for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.