Glenfield Model 60 Old Style

tex45acp

I have a customer that brought me Glenfield Model 60 (Old Style without bolt hold back/release lever) that has a JM stamp on the barrel. l detail stripped, cleaned and lubricated the gun. I don't believe the gun has ever been cleaned or lubricated. I took it out to cycle a few rounds through after finishing and it will not fire every round. I have tried 5 different brands of .22LR ammo from standard velocity to stingers. Same for all. I personally believe it is either the firing pin length worn or the hammer spring or possibly a combination of both.
Does anyone know what the length of the firing pin should measure and what the hammer spring tension should be? I would like to measure them both before replacing either or both. This is the first Glenfield or Marlin 60 I have ever worked on. The gun is a tack driver with all the ammo I shot through it,
Oh and all the ammo that would not fire the first time was run back through and it fired!!

jcj54

Most likely the recoil spring

Is weak and not quite going all the way forward. When the hammer falls it closes the bolt fully, and robs enough energy to cause a light strike.
Wolff gunsprings sells high quality replacements at gunsprings.com.