Glass for LR-308?

kkb

I have an LR-308AP4 on order and am wondering what sort of scope to put on it.

Though I haven't tried them the caming scopes (a la Leatherwood) look interesting.

Any suggestions in the $400 or less range?

Jimro

Avoid leatherwood scopes. A super sniper would be a good choice, as would a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 mildot.

If you don't use mildots then you have a few more options, but don't be afraid of a fixed 10x scope.

Jimro

Trapper L

I've got three of the Leatherwood scopes and am happy with all of them. I especially like the detachable mount system on my AR. It goes back to zero every time. They are not a benchrest scope but a fine tactical scope and if half inch groups at 200 yds is good enough for you- get one. The good news- Jim Leatherwood lives in Brownwood and his phone number is in the book if you need to talk with the owner of Leatherwood scopes. He stands behind his product.

john in jax

I've got both the 24" bull bbl'd LR-308 and the 16" AP4. As soon as I get the time to make the switch (kids are freetime leaches):

The 24" rifle is going to be topped with good old (Japanese made) Tasco 6-24x44 target/varmit scope. The quality of the older, Japanese made, Tascos is much better than the newer ones made in China.

The 16" carbine is going to be topped with a 4-12x56mm, illuminated reticle, NcStar that has worked real well on the LR-308. Quality with NcStar seems to be "hit or miss", but this one performs real well as long as you don't go past 10x.

I personally wouldn't choose a 10x scope for a carbine, and will probably end up with a holo sight (the EoTech clone made by Bushnell) on my AP4, but in the meantime my tired old eyes will shoot the scope better than iron sights.

A good, used 3-9x40mm Leupold VX-III can usually be bought off ebay for under $300 if you are patient. IIRC you only get all lens surfaces "MULTI-coated in the VX-III and higher model scopes.