glass bedding a synthetic stock

Joe Portale

Hello,

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death. Unfortunatly the search feature has been out of commission and I'm getting ready to place an order with Brownell's.

I need to bed a rebuilt Mauser that was dropped in a Carbolite stock. Is there a particular glass bedding compound that anyone would like to recommend? I am concerned that run of the mill Accuglass will not hold to the synthetic stock material.

And to open another probably beaten to death subject, if this was you, would you use glass bedding or would you pillar bed the action?

Thanks.

HankL

Joe, I prefer Acra Glass Gel but any of these products will stick very well to a synthetic stock if you do some sanding and scraping. If that stock is a bit mushy when pulling down the action screws {before bedding} you may want to consider using the pillars in conjunction with the bedding compound.

DeBee

Rough all bedding surfaces with coarse 80 grit sandpaper and then thoroughly degrease the inside of the stock.

Sometimes the release agent the synthetic stockmakers use to get the stock out of its mold is residual...

Acraglas gel or Marine Tex are my preferences...

Gewehr98

I'm partial to either...

Acraglas Gel, or DevCon, depending on the application of the finished rifle. I also mix in some powdered aluminum with either bedding compound.;)