Giving Up On The P-11

Doug S

Well as much as I like my P-32 and the design of the P-11 I am giving up on the P-11. I continue to have FTE with the P-11. Today I had 2 FTE and the side locked open prematurely once in 50 rounds. I'm willing to accept that it may be me and not the gun (but I doubt it) as Kel-Tec couldn't find anything wrong with the extractor. Also I continue to use cheap ammo (Winchester White Box & UMC), but this is what I'd like to use for practice ammo. Regardless this gun is not reliable for me so I've decided to go ahead and sell it. I feel a little guilty selling this pistol, but Kel-Tec feels that there is nothing wrong with it and I don't want play around with return factory trips. I will probably tell whoever I sell to about my experience with this gun. In the mean time I'll stick with my P-32 for CCW.

Drakejake

Winchester white box ammo just doesn't work in my P-11. But UMC does fine. I have several other pistols which do fine with the Winchester. I was also having jamming problems with the P-11 and sent it in to Kel-Tec. They replaced the barrel (and apparently the recoil springs) and I now have no jams with UMC. I also have adopted the isoceles stance to provide stronger recoil resistance with this potent little pistol.

Drakejake

jtduncan

Check out Taurus' P145 subcompact 45 ACP gun.

Only 23 ounces.

Lifetime warranty.

If I didn't have my G30, I'd look at it.

Walt Sherrill

White box doesn't work well with a number of guns...

If you're going to sell a gun because you can't shoot cheap ammo, you're going to lose a LOT more on the sale or trade than you would using more expensive ammo...

My P-11 loved CCI Blazer, Sellier & Bellot, Mag-Tech, PNP, IMI and Denel 115 gr FMJ. You can get CCI Blazer and S&B from Natchez SHooters supply for under $5 a box if you buy 10 or more boxes.
(Thats www.natchezss.com)

I gave up on my P-11, too, but not because of the gun -- I could never really get as proficient with it as I would have liked. That was my fault -- not the gun's fault.

It was accurate and reliable and durable through thousands of rounds. I just could never get the hang of the long double-action trigger. Others don't have my problem.

Marcus

FWIW I`ve had FTEs with Win.White box in a number of guns that are 100% with anything else. There`s a reason that ammo is SO cheap,it`s just not as good as a lot of other ammo. That said I love it for practice anyway,I just wouldn`t count on it for defense. I love my lil P-11 but a relative of mine had slide stop issues with his and eventually traded it on a Kahr K-9 Elite which he`s tickled with (especially since he had an Optima 2000 mounted on it). The P-11 was fixed and working fine when he traded it,he just didn`t trust it anymore. Since confidence in a carry gun is critical it was probably a good decision for him anyway. Marcus

Doug S

Walt, your words ring true. I do expect to take a loss and I agree that cheap ammo is not a good reason to get rid of a gun. Even so these malfunctions together with a couple of other one time glitches (takedown pin popped out once and it locked open prematurely today) have brought me to the point that I find myself more focused on waiting for the next malfunction with each shot than I am on hitting the target. To be quite honest it's just no fun to shoot my P-11 anymore. I readily admit my reasoning is probably faulty (no doubt my wife would agree). I'm thinking a revolver like the Taurus CIA model 650 may be a nice alternative to the P-11, at least I wouldn't have to worry about limpwristing with that one . ;) I appreciate the feedback.

Doug

Doug S

Marcus,

I missed your post while typing mine, but you are exactly right. It really has come down to a trust issue and I just don't feel comfortable keeping a gun for self defense that I don't trust. No doubt Kel-Tec makes a good product. I love my P-32 and have had zero problems with it even with UMC and Winchester White Box as well as Hydrashoks and Silvertips.

Doug

9x19

I'd be interested in hearing your price and perhaps purchasing the problem child... email me if you'd like.