give me your opinions...

UltimaSE

I found a winchester .308 described as a

"1996 stainless barrel (bolt & action), synthetic stock rifle shoots under one inch groups at 100 yds consistently w/150 and 165 grn bullets. Manufactured with a pre '64 action, controlled feed w/claw extractor, it has brought 3 deer to our dinner table, and has been shot less than 100 times w/moly coated barrel/bullets. Scope is Bushnell Sportview. Comes with BOSS wrench and scope ring tool (Rings are Leupold)."

He didn't mention it in the post but he did email me that the barrel was 18 inches plus the boss on top of that.

He mentioned that he wanted 425 for everything, and 400 minus the scope. (not sure if this is right here, still waiting for a reply, surely the scope is worth more than 25$).

I get the feeling that everyone is going to tell me to try savage or get a remington. Here's my ideas. I like savage, aside from the triggers they felt nice, I regret that I've never got a chance to fire one though. Remingtons are very nice as well, but I'm not sure I'd be able to fit one in on my budget. Comparitively between the winchester the remington and the savage, the winchester package is actually going to be the cheapest. And the boss idea intrigues me.

Well, what do you guys think?

UltimaSE

UltimaSE

I've taken to point all the replies that were lost, I'm going to bump this since I'd like to see if I can get anything else.

Thanks,
UltimaSE

Redlg155

I would ask to shoot the weapon prior to purchasing using factory loads and not his "pet" reloads. You especially want to do this if you don't reload. You can get a fair accuracy assesment by using factory ammo first.

The controlled feed with claw extractor is a neat feature, but unless you are going to be shooting upside down at a grizzly charging ya..it pretty much is that...neat. Other than extra reliability in an emergency gotta fire no matter what situation, there really isn't much of an advantage other than the "neato..ya got one of those " factors.

You could definitely find a better scope than the Bushnell Sportview...save your $25 bucks on that. The two things it has going for it is the SS barrel and Boss System. Again..the controlled feature is nice..but not really a "must have" item.

I would offer $375 out the door for the rifle if I really wanted it.

Good Shooting
RED

UltimaSE

The only problem is I've found this online and have been emailing back and forth. I can ask for a 3 day inspection period but since I'm in kalifornia I'll have to get him to send it to my ffl and then take a look at it, then come back in 10 days to pick it up.

The boss system does intrigue, me I also reload so I figure I can tune my loads and factory loads both ways. I'll ask him if I could possible get it maybe 375 plus shipping.

Thanks.
UltimaSE

Given your circumstances, if the gun is as stated and the "under 1 inch" is true and not "puffery" (better find out what his loads are so you can duplicate it), go for it. Air Force Mad Major Boyd once observed that it is bettter to have a great pilot in a second rate airplane than a mediocre pilot in a first class airplane. It's the man, not the equipment.