Give Me Some More Scope Options...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I already have a strong idea of what I want. It's going to be mounted on a Savage 11 chambered in .243AI for use against deer primarily and woodchucks/coyotes/vermin secondarily. Low light capability is a major factor.

I have done considerable research but I want to make sure I haven't missed anything. The current favorite is the Sightron SII Big Sky 4-16x42 HHR.

Requirements (essentially non-negotiable) are:

Minimum power no higher than 4x

Maximum power no lower than 16x

Budget absolute cap of $650 (within a few dollars, I'm not going to refuse to spend $655), preferably closer to the Sightron's ~$450

allaroundhunter

I would look for a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50. Optics planet sells them for $699, but you can find them for closer to $675 if you look around.

Doyle

According to your requirements, you are wanting a minimum of a 4x zoom (4-16) and would like even more. That kind of limits your field of available choices.

taylorce1

Well, I think you are truly missing some good scopes by your limitations on the power ranges. 12 and 14 powers are extremely effective as well when shooting small varmints. Another thing I don't like is the AO on your current choice of scope. AO is extremely inconvenient when hunting not so much when shooting varmints and targets, I know this because I have a couple.

I think however for less money and to get a side mounted Parallax Adjustment vs. the Adjustable Objective I'd go with the 4-16X44 Viper HS.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I like a lot of magnification. I rarely set any of my scopes to less than 5x and that's with shots that average under 50 yards on deer.

AO is no inconvenience to me when hunting. I typically set it at 100 yards. Anything less and out to 150 or more it's close enough, anything more and you've got time to change it.

Yes, when you want something specific, you do tend to limit your choices.;)

taylorce1

Brian Pfleuger said:
I like a lot of magnification. I rarely set any of my scopes to less than 5x and that's with shots that average under 50 yards on deer.

Then why not start out with something in the 6X power and up? I like more magnification as well when shooting targets and varmints, but I could hunt all big game with a fixed 6X and not feel handicapped.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I find 5x to be about the limit if the animal is too close or moving too quickly. I've honestly never tried 6 exactly but I have had my scope on 7 when I needed to make a quick shot and it's much worse than 5. 6 might be OK but I don't want to buy a scope on "might".

4 is definitely OK and 16 is sufficient for woodchucks even to 400, probably 500, yards and certainly deer at any reasonable distance.

Honestly, I'd prefer like 2.5-30 or something but the budget dictates.

In any case, tell me what you think I'm missing. I don't have to buy it.;)

SSA

Minox ZA-5 4-20x50 at CameralandNY. Closeout price. Never seen one myself, but it's an option.

Kimber84

I have a 4.5-14 VX-3 on my one varmint gun, in my opinion its plenty of juice to shoot varmints at 500 yards and out to 600.

I killed 2 g hogs at 495 & 502 this past summer with it, no problems and never felt like I was underscoped.

tobnpr

Damn...
A 1" tube, with 80 minutes of elevation. AND four inches of eye relief! Nice.

Not sure whether I like the 1/8 minute clicks though... but that is definitely one HECK of a deal. I was thinking of getting another Vortex Viper 6.5-20, but this one deserves a serious look!

Cowboy_mo

Have had Minox Binos and Minox scope for 2+ years.

You won't be disappointed if you try one!

Camerland has an open box special right now on the Minox ZA-5 3-15x50 w/Side Focus for $499.99.

I know 15x is one less than your specs and I understand "I want what I want" but just a suggestion.:)

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I couldn't resist the deal. $449 is a steal for that scope. Most places have it at $699-$729:eek: Reviews seem to be excellent, though in short supply on that exact model.

It's ordered and I'm going with DNZ mounts for the first time too.

I'll be ordering up a Boyds' stock for it too so it's finally "Done" before deer season gets here.:D

taylorce1

I'd have a real hard time buying a 25 ounce scope for a hunting rifle. Just too much weight added for me. I'd pick up a VX2 2-7 or 3-9 put it and the Minox in Leupold QR rings and run two scopes if it were mine and I was going to pull double duty with it.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I understand that sentiment but weight doesn't matter much to me. The gun currently weighs just over 7 pounds with a Nikon 3-9 and factory stock. I'll be dropping a few ounces with the DNZ mount and adding about a pound with the scope and stock. It'll probably be 8 1/2 or so finished.

I spent the first 20 years of my hunting life (and still have to occasionally) carrying a 10+ pound shotgun for deer hunting. Anything feels small and light in comparison. Plus, I might walk a mile or so in the whole days hunt, maybe two if I really stretch it, so it's not a huge factor.

steveNChunter

I know you said no higher than 4x but...

You still might wanna consider the Burris Fullfield E1 6.5-20x50. (or the 4.5-14x42)

They sell for around $400 and every Burris I've ever owned has been brighter and clearer than any other scope in its price range that I've looked through. Dollar for dollar, feature for feature, IMO it's hard to beat a Burris.

My second choice would be a Vortex Viper 4-16x50

Status
Not open for further replies.