• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Give me a call if you have any problems...

Thanks, Spark.
Here's what happened: I originally installed the freeware version of UBB, to test the server and assure compatibility. I then had someone from UBB's list install the licensed version.

Well, he set the Members' file pointer to the original Member file (not the one in our current cgi directory). That's why, when we talked last night, I asked where the members file was. I put it on Zach's to-do list for today and he located it.

What happened tonite was that we copied the real Member file over to the cgi/Members directory and then changed the pointer index in forumsindex file. We changed the attributes on the files, as required and Updated and Reindexed. That's when everything went to hell on a bobsled.

Zach and I were on ICQ at the time. I thought he'd changed the pointers back; he thought I had....so we spent about an hour scrambling to find out what had happened. Zach finally asked the question: "Are you sure you changed the pointer back?". "No, I thought you did!"; "Doh!"

Were in good shape now, though. Tomorrow, we'll be installing a dummy copy of the software on the server. Well test future changes there, before loading them to the public area.

Thanks for being there for us. Actually, I *tried* to find a better BB system than UBB. As you've already learned, this is the best available.

Rich

Yeah, for the money, this is the best thing out there. There are better packages, but they cost more than an order of magnitude more, and IMO aren't as friendly.

One thing to remember is to always reset the General and Style variables every time you upgrade, that will save you some problems.

As for the forumsindex file, don't worry too much about it, you can always just click on Update Index in the control panel after you have made your changes, and it should work just fine.

Spark

Spark