Give the P32 a second chance?

• Try P32 again?

Votes: 40 72.7%
  • Skip it...get a Tomcat, NAA Guardian .32, or Barrett .50

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jheitertusa

Looking for a pocket pistol and looking at the P32 again.

I used to have a first generation P32. I really like the Kel-Tec P32, it is thin light, and super concealable. BUT...the one I had had some problems. First, when I bought it the barrel was only rifled for about 1/2 an inch, and the rest was a smoothbore! I had to return it to the factory for a new barrel. Then, it had extraction issues. After 1000 rounds, the hole in the frame where the takedown pin goes showed signs of enlargement, and various parts were starting to look battered. So have they improved? Or am I just setting myself up for failure?

I really like the look/feel/features of the Beretta Tomcat .32, but am still reading about frame cracking issues, even with the INOX version.

Hans

Just carry a Barret .50 slung over your shoulder, that should negate the need for a .32!! Seriously, though, I had a KT .380 and it flat quit on me after 50 rounds. I would go w/a Ruger LCP, same size, supposed to be better reliability, probably better customer service also.

comn-cents

I carried one for over 5 years an loved it. I had close to 1000 rds through it without a problem. I would still carry it if it hadn't been stolen out of my truck.

Onward Allusion

IMO, there is no better pocket pistol in the $250 range than the KT P-32. It is light, thin, & holds 7+1 of reliable centerfire pistol cartridge.

The 1st generations did have some kinks but also keep in mind, they are not range toys and 1,000 rounds is significant for a featherweight polymer pistol. Feed it a diet of FMJ and you will not have issues. Swapping out the plastic guide rod also seems to add to the reliability. I have 2 and they are good for their purpose. In fact I have mine on pretty much all the time except in the office.

jheitertusa
Give Kel-Tec P32 a second chance?
Looking for a pocket pistol and looking at the P32 again.

I used to have a first generation P32. I really like the Kel-Tec P32, it is thin light, and super concealable. BUT...the one I had had some problems. First, when I bought it the barrel was only rifled for about 1/2 an inch, and the rest was a smoothbore! I had to return it to the factory for a new barrel. Then, it had extraction issues. After 1000 rounds, the hole in the frame where the takedown pin goes showed signs of enlargement, and various parts were starting to look battered. So have they improved? Or am I just setting myself up for failure?

I really like the look/feel/features of the Beretta Tomcat .32, but am still reading about frame cracking issues, even with the INOX version.

raftman

They have changed the design in a number of ways from the first generation; the current production ones do have a better reputation. I've had one of updated ones for a while now and it's been very reliable and gets carried more than any other handgun that I own. So is it worth giving it another chance? I would say so.

The P32 is thinner and lighter than any other .32acp out there, even the ones with a smaller ammo capacity. For example, the Tomcat has the same ammo capacity but literally weighs more than twice as much. I also like that the slide locks open after the last round with the P32, which you don't get from the other pocket .32's. They don't cost a lot of money either and have a lifetime warranty. To me that's all worth enough to make me choose it over the Tomcats, NAA Guardians, etc.

TDodge7

I love my p32 , got close to 1300 rounds through it so far without a hiccup , still looks new inside , mine is a second generation . Carry it everywhere .

Hig789

Why does everyone say that the LCP is so much better than the keltec .380? How long has the keltec been offering second to none service. I have one with well over 1000 rounds through it. No problems what so ever.

Onward Allusion

Why does everyone say that the LCP is so much better than the keltec .380? How long has the keltec been offering second to none service. I have one with well over 1000 rounds through it. No problems what so ever.

'Cause the Ruger costs more and has a better finish. Of course, this ignores the fact that the latest generation of KT's are proven designs and that Ruger copied the P3AT.

Does that mean the Rugers are not good guns, absolutely not. However, I rather save the extra $50 to $100 and use it for ammo and practice.

Kreyzhorse

I haven't been real impressed with Kel-Tec but I've never shot one either. They just don't seem real well made.

I've not read any thing about frame issues with the Ionx Tomcat and my buddy has put several hundred rounds through his without fail. They are certainly seem to be a well made reliable gun.

While I do like the Tomcat, might I suggest that you don't gain any thing by going with a .32. If you want another mouse gun, why not go with a .380? you gain more power in a package that is virtually the same size as any .32. A Ruger LCP is a great choice.

rvehock

I have both a first and second Gen P-32 (1G=Gray, 2G=Green) and they both shoot very well and I have never had a problem with either one of them (1000 rounds thru the 1st Gen and 500 thru the 2nd gen). I carry my first gen with me in my pocket with the holster pictured (http://www.concealmentconcepts.com/pocketpal.htm) and on other ocassions I use the second gen clipped to my belt. Both are loaded with one Silvertip JHP in the pipe followed by seven .73gr Fiocchi FMJ.

P-32_1.jpg

Last edited:

Hig789

I haven't been real impressed with Kel-Tec but I've never shot one either. They just don't seem real well made.

How can you recommend an LCP over the KelTec then? The KelTec has been made much longer and has already went through the problems that the LCP (little copy pistol) is going through now. And Im positive you will get better customer service from Kel-Tec than Ruger Mine has functioned flawlessly after polishing the feed ramp. Just because the Ruger has a nice pretty all black finish and its the hot thing makes it better than a pistol that has been made much longer.

Tenmmauto

Try the P32 again.

I bought a new P32 earlier this year, and it has been great. I have put about 300 rounds through it (Fiocchi 73 gr) with no issues. I did do a quick fluff & buff and properly lubed it before taking it out.

Skip the Tomcat...I just shot a friend's Tomcat this week at the range. The trigger on this particular one was horrendous in double action (long and heavy) and not really that good in single action. As someone else mentioned, it is also very heavy for a small caliber pistol (compared to the P32).

I carry the P32 as a BUG every day...I am very pleased with it.

Motownstan

I've got a P-32 and a Tomcat.

Tomcat weight + 8 rounds 17.8 ounces

P-32 weight + 8 rounds 10.3 ounces
----------------
7.5 ounces difference

The Tomcat feels way better in the hand and is excellent finish. I had 1 FTFeed at about round # 50 has been 100% for the last 100 or so.

The P-32 hides a lot better in a pocket. Mine has been 100% through a couple hundred rounds.

I like both. The P-32 is better in shorts pocket, but i prefer the Tomcat in a coat pocket

tenusdad

Had P32 - tried for years to make it reliable. Finally gave up and went to an LCP - it works every time. I think the Beretta is big for the caliber. If the 32 isn't smaller than a 380 then it's not worth it to me.

I tried it all, even the fluff and buff ritual. I would go back to the range - things ran fine for about 30 or so rounds, I'd think it was fixed and then it would gag again. I liked the little 32 but I lost confidence in it. The LCP works everytime. Some say you either get a good Kel-Tec or a bad one. If you have a good one cherish it.

Last edited:

Mosin44az

The last four Kel-tecs I have owned have actually been decently reliable pistols, and that includes two 2d Generation P32s, which I think have a better extractor design than the 1st generation.

Nice trigger, very accurate for its size (can hit the head of the silhouette at 7 yards with a full mag very easily and quickly), comfortable to shoot compared to the pocket .380s.

You have to find loads that work with it (my latest one has been fine with PMC ball and a Gunshow fmj, but didn't work with Winchester White Box or Sellier & Bellot), but it shouldn't take too long.

That said, I hope to move up to a .380 (LCP, DB 380 or Smith Bodyguard?) or Kahr PM9 soon. More power is better.

Bill DeShivs

The P32 is a locked breech auto, and can easily handle Fiocchi ammunition.
As a matter of fact, it's the ONLY locked breech .32 of all the newer pocket guns.