Girl's first rifle.

SPEMack618

So, the lady friend is finally wanting to move into rifle shooting. She up to speed on both shotgunning and pistol shooting, if only for home defense and self protection, but she knows gun safety, the basics of firearm mechanics, and the major principles of marksmanship, and I would like to get her in the deer stand some this season. I have a long neglected Mini-14 shoved in the back of the gun safe that would love a new lease on life.(It sort of went the way of the dodo bird once I got off my A-Team kick)

So any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions for different rifles? Obscene remarks?

zoomie

For Georgia deer? Though I think a [insert quality brand rifle here] in 243 would be a better choice, a Mini-14 oughta work if she (and it) can put a proper bullet where she aims it.

RWBlue01

I don't think the 223 is the right cartridge for the inexperienced deer hunter. As for a practice gun it may be ok, but how accurate is it? Some mini-14s can not hit the barn from the inside of the barn, others are pretty good. If it is pretty good, then it might make a good practice gun.

As far as a hunting rifle goes, I don't think you can beat a bolt rifle in 30-06 (assuming you reload).

If you don't reload, we need to talk about the woman and what she can handle/like. Some women would not do well with the recoil of a standard 30-06. On the other hand some women shoot the big bores better than their men.

SPEMack618

Ok, not to get into the Mini-14 debate here(don't we have a thread or two for that?:D), but I've never had a problem with mine within a 150 yards, so in my opinion, the weapon is fundamentally sound, and I took my fair share of deer with it back when I was an eight grader.

Okay, well, she's a bit on the stockey side, a little short, but with a softball player's athletic build, so she could probably handle a .30-06, I don't personally reload, but I have a friend who does, so he might could help me in that respect.

And the idea of a bolt .243 intrigues me, and Daddy is loaded, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind seeing Daddy's Little Girl in the deer stand niether.

sabo954

You might want to double-check the legality of using .223 against deer in your state. In SC, <.30 diameter is illegal to hunt deer, unless I'm mistaken or the law has changed.

MLeake

Sorry for stating the obvious...

... but first and foremost, find a rifle that fits her body.

For instance, my younger cousin had arms a bit too short for the Marlin .35 I tried to teach him on, and so he frequently short-stroked the lever and jammed up the works...

My .30-06 had too much recoil for him.

In hindsight, I should have acquired a bolt-action .243 or something similar, for the short action and low recoil.

OTOH, my lady is 5'9" and reasonably muscular, from a lifetime of raising horses. Short action not required, but she isn't too fond of -06 recoil. She would have liked the Marlin .35, if I hadn't traded it.

So, whatever you get, the stock should be a good fit; the action should be a workable length; the carry weight should be acceptable; and the recoil shouldn't be at discouraging levels.

To state an additional obvious point: she'll need to be an active participant in the selection process. You'll need her to make sure the fit and action lengths are good; you'll also want her input on the intangibles (my lady likes more classic looking weapons, because that's what her daddy had, etc).

Good luck,

M

Picher

I recently bought a nice .243 Rem Handi-Rifle with scope and recoil pad. The primary function is for the grandkids to shoot deer. This past weekend, I used it to shoot an eastern coyote at 143 (lasered) yards, offhand. It's a pleasant round (and rifle) to shoot and with 100 grain Rem Core-Locts has plenty of punch to kill a deer. Lighter bullets are primarily for smaller game and varmints, so stick to the 100 grainers.

A Tikka T3 Light might be just the ticket for her, either in .243 Win. or 7mm-08. I'd lead toward the .243 Win, since it would be more pleasant to practice with and still get the job done.

Father Time

Marlin 336 30-30

The 30-30 has more than enough power for deer without being punishing and the Marlin 336 is an inexpensive quality rifle. Plus Lever actions are tons of fun to shoot.

thesheepdog

I took a deer at 185 yards with my old mini-14 using a 62gr Silver Bear SP. The deer dropped and never got back up.
If it were me, I would give my girl the mini-14. It's powerful enough for deer up to 200 yards and has low recoil plu extra shots in case she doens't make a perfect first shot

pgdion

I would second the Marlin 30-30 as a good choice. Darn decent gun, a good hunting cartridge, and this Made in USA rifle can be had for some very good prices. I would tend to get her something a notch up from the Mini anyways. To me the .223 seems a little light for deer. You want her to have a good outing or she might not go again.

SPEMack618

See, I was thinking that the .30-30 would be a good choice, but the recoil worries me just a bit, and a like the semi-auto so she can have good follow on shots.

Mini-Thirty perhaps?

She says she can hold my Mini-14 comfortably.

SPEMack618

.223 is still deer legal in Georgia as of last season. Yeah, I was thinking some of those Winchester Supreme soft tip .233 rounds.

SPEMack618

.223 is still deer legal in Georgia as of last season. Yeah, I was thinking some of those Winchester Supreme soft tip .233 rounds.

sc928porsche

I agree with Geaux Tide. 243 or 260 remingtion with a leaning towards the 260. Recoil should not be a problem at all since she is proficient with a shotgun. 260 can be used for elk at shorter distances if she ever gets the chance, and for paper is much better at long range.