Gifted an M1 Carbine

finfanatic

My father-in-law has given me a gift, that he wants to make sure is kept in the family.

A National Postal Meter M1 Carbine.

M1-Carbine-left.jpg

M1-Carbine-right.jpg

I also was given six 30 round mags, 1000 rounds of reloaded ammo, and about 1000 rounds of new ammo. A replacement trigger group, a replacement bolt stop pin, and this bayonet:

M1-Carbine-bayonet.jpg

Serial Number is 4,363,XXX, which one book I have seen puts it between Dec 1943 and May 1944?

Also, I have read that most NPM Carbines were refurbished? This one seems to be in great shape.

My daughter and I took it out to the range today, and the rifle is exceedingly accurate. The 30 round mags were prone to stoppages, but I plan to order some mil-surp 15 rounders from CMP.

This was a great gift and I do plan to keep it in the family.

DnPRK

That is a nice carbine!

Yes, it has been through arsenal refurbishment. They were originally issued with a simple rear flip sight, 2 rivet handguard, and no bayonet lug. The adjustable rear sight and bayo lug were added during refurbishment.

M-1 carbines were sold through CMP and the NRA for $25 in the early 1960s. Yours might be one of those.

overland

Great rifle. CMP is currently auctioning their remaining few. They are going for well over $1200 in service grade.