Gift Ideas Needed

B. Lahey

Two of my friends are getting married and I would like to give them a firearm as a gift. Both have always talked about wanting one, but they are both artists and, as a result of that, always totally broke.

I can't spend much more than $100 as I am also very cash-challenged at this point. The gun should function well and fire a decent enough projectile to defend the homestead.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've been bouncing around the gunshops looking for a police trade-in shotgun or something similar, but pistols are in the running as well. I was thinking of a Nagant revolver as they have a certain wacky style, but the pitiful weakness of both the Russian target ammunition and the Hotshot stuff kind of put that idea on the back burner...

Fremmer

A Marlin model 60 rifle. It'll be a great gift; really fun for target shooting, and it'll work for home defense, too. 13 rounds of .22 LR from a rifle is nothing to sneeze at. You should be able to find one new for $130.00 or a little more. :cool:

B. Lahey

I guess that's not a bad idea. I happen to know that 50% of the equation is familiar with the Marlin autoloader platform (see photo :)), and a decent .22 rifle should always be an option, I guess.

I know it's not easy to find gun gifts in this price range, but keep those ideas coming, folks.

CeCeRifle.jpg

Last edited:

allenomics

You might give them a $100 gift certificate to a local gun shop. That will help them buy a gun/rifle that suits them best.

B. Lahey

I may just save up more than I initially wanted to spend and get them something in the Makarov / TT33 / CZ83 ballpark.

Rimfires are great fun and I may still go that route, but there is not really any rush. I think they are slapping on the rusty shackles this summer, so I have all spring to find something cheap and nifty.

chris in va

The Mosin is a good idea. Maybe a single shot NEF, and they can get different barrels later if they wish.

Can't really think of any decent handguns for that price range, unless you get a smoking deal on an old Smith.

Garand Illusion

Do you have "Big 5" sporting goods shops in your area? The Big 5's around here often after a Russian bolt action rifle (nagant?" in 7.69 x 54) for sale for $89. It's a powerful round for home defense, but with proper safeguards, at least if they don't live in an apartment, it will dang sure do the job.

But personally ... when buying a gun, I look not so much at the price of the gun but at the ammo. I've always wanted a 44 magnum, but when pricing out the ammo of either 44 magnum or 44 special I've determined that I can't afford to shoot such a gun, so there's no point in buying one.

A cheap .22 would give them a gun they could afford to shoot and while it's a weak gun for home defense it will do sufficient damage to affect what is happening. Many, many people have successfully defended themselves with .22 pistols.