GI M1 / M1 Carbine s/n question

RsqVet

Were the Serial numbers on the GI M1 / M1 Carbine's issued in blocks amongst various makes or are there repeats?

Reason I ask is I have war diaries from a close, dear friend and low and behold I found the s/n's of issued weapons recorded. Long shot but would love to keep an eye out for them if they are unique.

mtlucas0311

With respect to M1 Garands (you are asking about M1 Garands as well as carbines, correct?) for the most part, they were in fact assigned in blocks to each manufacturer. There are exceptions where two manufacturers had S/N ranges that overlapped. These exceptions are pretty well documented, there's a wealth of information on the topic on the CMP forum if you're interested. Not sure about carbines.

Regards,
Mike

Ibmikey

Weapons Production over runs did occurr and the duplicate S/N usually received a letter prefix such as: Smith Corona...letter C, Inland...letter X also with Carbines, contract receiver manufacturers sometimes coded the receiver before the final assembler/producer put their name and assigned S/N on. WWII production can be confusing and volumes of research data exist to decypher an individual weapon.

Slamfire

I am unaware of any duplicate serial numbers for Garands or M1 Carbines. Manufacturer's were assigned blocks of numbers and pretty well kept to them. There might have been duplicates at the factory, where a defective receiver was scrapped, and the serial number re assigned more than once. Heck if I know.

This is one of the few times a serial number was duplicated, the Z numbered M1903A4 rifle. Because very few of these mistakes happened, this rifle is worth a premium. Sort of like the up side down airmail JN4 stamp.

mtlucas0311

Here's a link to a sticky from the CMP forum:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=32300

This thread cites 190,000, I'm pretty sure there are other overlaps, but not positive. In reality, 190,000 out of roughly 6,000,000 is a pretty small amount but still significant. What S/N are you thinking about tracking down? I'm aware of at least one instance where a person posted the S/N for their fathers rifle on the CMP forum and another member owned it and sold it to the guy so he could give it to his dad. It's a long shot, but it is possible. You can also call down to Anniston and see if they have any record of it. I've done that with a few of my rifles trying to authenticate them as NM rifles.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:

Ibmikey

I donated a Smith Corona to CMP for auction with a duplicated S/N and hand stamped with a light C prefix, which is a well documented over run of their numbers into the Remington block. I currently have several Carbines marked with either an X prefix or X suffix and are documented as run into someone else's serial block. Are they rare...not really but interesting and desirable. Most of the American weapons are well documented...but I repeat myself.

RsqVet

Thanks guys, I will add the serial numbers to a card I have with some other family guns and though I realize it is VERY unlikely I will keep an eye out.