GI ammo corrosive?

Snowdog

I recall seeing WWII .45acp surplus in a mail-order being described as "mildly corrosive".
There is no "mildly corrosive"... corrosive is corrosive and should always be cleaned as such.

I hope others here can shed more light.

Redlg155

I believe some of the latest stuff imported is in fact corrosive. I examined a few boxes at my local gunshop and for what he wanted, $9.00 a box, there was no way I would put that through my weapons.

Yep...there is no such thing as "mildly corrosive". Either it is or it isn't. Just marketing jargon.

Good Shooting
RED

Jim Watson

US military .45 ACP (and .30-06) used chlorate (corrosive) primers up into the early '50s. The NRA published the exact date and lot numbers, but if it is headstamped in the '40s it is corrosive. I know people shooting the re-imported stuff in Glocks with little cleaning and depending on the Tenifer surface hardening to protect them from rust. Not me. People used corrosive primers for many years with no problems if they cleaned them with water or water-based solvents. But that WW II ammo is getting pretty old and you can't know how it was stored. You can hear some of it shot and listen to the muzzle blast vary from round to round. Misfires occur. If very cheap I might consider using it for practice with good cleanup... if I didn't reload.

All US GI .30 carbine is noncorrosive because you can't get at the gas piston easily enough for routine cleaning. Some foreign carbine is, though.