Ghost Ring?

Carlo

One of the features I like the most in a rifle is the sights. It would be interesting to try a combination of ramp front sight and ghost ring on my home defense S&W 686 too. Does anything like a ghost ring for revolvers exist?

Regards

Carlo

DMZX

I bought a ghost ring for my GP-100 from a outfit call One Ragged Hole. They sent two different sized rings, and I tried them on my GP and Single Six. They now sit in my accessory drawer. Cost about $25 if I recall.

44 AMP

Staff
What makes a Ghost ring work....

Is that it is closer to the eye. The eye looks through a ghost ring, without having to find it, then look through it. The distance from the eye (arms length) that one normally uses pistol sights reduces the effectivness, and ease of use.

It may work for some people, but it doesn't work well for me, and I suspect, a lot of others.

Try this, cut out a cardboard circle the size of the ghost ring you are thinking about. Color it black, with a marker, and tape it to your rear sight. Then practice looking through it.

For me, conventional pistol sights work better, or at least faster.

Jim March

Go here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1jimmarch/3320547627/in/photostream

If you want a LOT more details on what's going on, see also this whole thread:

http://www.arizonashooting.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=69648

This type of "ghost ring" is meant to be used while focused on the TARGET, not the front sight. It works even when front and rear are blurry. And because you're focused on the target, keeping both eyes open is dead simple - and that in turn solves all of the "closed-out peripheral vision" issues people usually attribute to handgun ghost rings.

Tomorrow I should have the "Mk2 front" finished and pics up. It's going to be extremely cool!

rodfac

Good suggestion 44 AMP. If ghost ring sights were the "answer" to revolver sighting problems, we'd see them on the range. Having shot Hi-Power for some time...I'm 63 now and shot my first match in '65, I can tell you that a peep sight is useful only if it's close to your eye. You can judge this for yourself by sighting through the peep on a 1903's ladder sight and then trying one on a 1903-A3 or M1 Garand. On the 03, the sight is a foot or so from your eye and you have to go find it. On the A3 and Garand, it's not even very visible unless you concentrate trying to see it...the point of a peep sight is seeing through it and concentrating on the front sight...that's one of the reasons the Garand was such a good battle rifle...the excellent quick duty rear sight.

On a revolver at arms length, you have to go find the peep (ghost Ring) then the front sight...Unless that peep is pretty big, it's not going to be easy. And if big enough, the sighting errors would be enormous. It would slow down the sighting process on a weapon designed for quick last minute work....

Pistols, and revolvers...were designed to be shot with one hand, off horseback or up close on foot as last ditch weapons, better than a sword, or bayonet but distinctly inferior to a rifle or carbine if the distance was anything over 25 yds, just to be arbitrary, You could argue for 50 yds and maybe get some takers. That they can be effective, handguns that is, at far greater distances is true, but falls into the "watch me pull off this neat trick" catagory of things. Yep, I can hit a man-sized cardboard target at 100 yds, and one of my sons can shoot 4-6" gps at that range (he's a former Marine MP), but ask yourself if you could do it if the B-s-t-r-d was shooting back?

For the vast majority of us, using pistols or revolvers for what they were designed to do, kill men intent on doing us bodily harm, they are short range propositions. So in my opinion, the ghost ring - peep sight idea, tried and rejected in the past, adds unnecessary bulk to the piece, without a commensurate increase in accuracy and would be a PITA to pack in a holster. What we all need is practice with our chosen weapons, and a lot of it. Shooting them with "devices" in "action" games with some success in a very restricted venue, does not make them practical on the street or in the woods. If your interested in experimenting for the heck of it...have at it.
JMHO, Rodfac

Tom2

I think is a gimmick to sell sights. I would be interested to see if it does make any improvement on shooting slow fire on bulls or maybe for hunting, but I can't see that it would be any faster or better than a standard post notch of some sort for SD. Plus I assume it is rather hi profile, not exactly CCW ready?